“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Daintree
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Using unique local Australian ingredients, the team at Julaymba Restaurant & Bar aspire to create culinary art engaging each of the five senses. Purity, simplicity and respect for both the ingredient, and the process, is at the heart of our chef's cooking style, while a creative layering of texture and flavour adds complexity and nuance to each dish. Our team's inspiration creates the opportunity for guests to enjoy an exceptional dining experience at Julaymba Restaurant and Bar. Relax at a table in a tranquil and relaxing environment while we showcase the very best of contemporary Australian cuisine. Please talk to our staff about any special dietary requirements. Our dishes, our wines and our cocktails are curated and created to perfectly complement your dining experience.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stopped here for an impromptu lunch while on a day-trip around the area. Hubby had the barramundi burger and I had the veggie burger.

The girl at the front desk was friendly and seated us with menus but unfortunately the service stopped there. We were largely ignored by the male waiter, even though there were only two other people in the restaurant while we were there.

We had to wave the waiter down just to order and even when he finally came over he was curt and disinterested. There were two items on the menu that were 'specials of the day to be advised by the staff' but he made no effort to explain what these specials were and we dared not ask after reading his disdainful attitude.

I liked the emphasis on local produce in the menu, but it would have been nice if the waiter could have elaborated on this aspect of the menu. After my meal I asked the waiter for the name of the fruit that was served on the side of my dish ( a fruit I had never seen before) and he muttered 'Malaysian apple' as he walked off.

We left feeling disheartened because we had heard/read some good things about Julaymba. The food was nice, but I won't be recommending this place to fellow travelers because there are lots of places in the area with good food where a simple smile and a bit of hospitality from the waiter is easier to come by.

1  Thank Amanda R
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Julaymba Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear "Disappointed"

We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your lunch and that we did not meet your and your husbands expectations this time. This is certainly not the feeling we want our valued guests to leave with and we have taken your feedback on board and will discuss and address these points.
I hope however that we will be able to convince you to come back so that we can proove to you that this was a one off situation and not a standard.

Look forward to seeing you both back in the rainforest soon!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

The ambiance was especially memorable, and the food was excellent as well. They also took special pains to accomodate our 10 year old daughter.

1  Thank TGx3
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Where do I start. We were very excited about staying at the Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa and dining at Julaymba Restaurant and unfortunately very disappointed with the entire experience. We would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Service was slow, although the girls that served us were lovely. Meals were far too small, the steak was terrible, definitely under 200gr, however they insisted it wasn't. Not seasoned, sealed and tasted as though it had been boiled. There was absolutely no color to it. The jus too thin although it tasted okay. The potatoes described as crisp were barely cooked. For the price that we paid I expected a whole lot more, it is definitely not cheap. We told the waitress how we felt, and explained that we did not want to take it further, but perhaps it might help to let the chef know. However in saying that I will never go there again nor recommend this restaurant. It is a shame because it is such a beautiful setting.

2  Thank Deb I
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife and I dined at the Julaymba Restaurant, today, for lunch. We enjoyed the local fare of Beer-battered Barramundi & chips with crisp garden salads and shared a damper with a choice of butter, oil and dukkah. All accompanied by a cracking cold New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
The staff were on their toes and provided an impromptu slice of birthday cake complete with candle when they learned we were celebrating a birthday. Good service goes a long way. Thank you Daintree Eco Lodge.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Great service. You wont be dissappointed. Enjoyed every meal.Eat at the reatraet all 3 days we were there.Great choices. Very accommodating with changes to meals. Unique favours with the choices of local produce.

1  Thank Tina M