“Great Experience”

Dan Irby's Mangrove Adventures
Ranked #3 of 12 Tours in Daintree
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Small and very personal (max. 10) boat tour. Operating since 1993. Experienced, science-based information. See and do much more than on a large boats's one-hour croc-spotting tour. We go where most boats can't and see many special things that they won't. Many people have said that their tour was the highlight of their vacation. "The Nightwatchman" is a 6 metre, open-topped ,shallow draft aluminium punt with 10 very comfortable swivel seats. Powered by quiet, eco-friendly, low emission, fuel-injected "state of the art" 60 hp 4-stroke Mercury outboard motor. One of the best nature-based Daintree River Tours. Private Tours are also available. More than twenty three years of experience on the river.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you're in the Daintree and want to see wildlife you have to do the Dan Irby sunset tour. We had a great time and saw plenty of animals including tree frogs, bats and a handful of crocs! Dan is fantastic and full of knowledge which he loves sharing so ask plenty of questions!

Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome Daintree River Experience!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My friend and I booked an evening tour with Dan for early April.
The tour was easily organized via emails and ran perfectly on time when we got to the tour itself!

Dan is very knowledgeable, pointing out animals and landmarks of interest! Great to hear the information from someone living so locally as well.
Fantastic wildlife experience, spotting wild crocs, kingfishers, frogs and bats! I loved this experience, it was so authentic!
I've been on a lot of nature cruises in Northern Australia and this is right up there with my favourites!

Keep up the great work Dan!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“very dissapointing”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Booked long in advance, confirmed the night before as requested and then Dan arrived to inform us he was no longer running the trip whern we were due to leave! Not the customer service we were hoping for!

Visited April 2014
Dan I, Owner at Dan Irby's Mangrove Adventures, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Yes, you did everything correctly and yes, everything was going well on my side of things until the electric scooter that I use (because of my bad knees and the distance to my mooring) would not start.
It is now 30 minutes before I am to meet you and 2 miles upstream from our departure point. Yes, I could have called you but decided to rush back to and cross over on the ferry to tell you in person (which I did with 5 minutes to spare). That was the best customer service that I could offer at the time (considering the situation and timing ). I am very sorry and disappointed that you seemingly believe that I cancelled for some other reason other than what I told you.
Because it takes me almost an hour to get from my house to where I keep my boat, I am not going to cancel a tour just because I no longer want to do it and certainly not just 30 minutes before starting time (after I have already taken the time and effort to get to where my boat is kept). Anyway, I'm sorry we couldn't do the tour and if you ever come back here, I will take you on tour for free to make up for this time.
Solihull
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Unforgettable!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Highly recommend Dans evening tour up the Daintree river, not only for the crocodiles, but the many other bird, frog and insect life picked out under torchlight. Dan is a very knowledgable guide and takes plenty of time to show you the detail. Great evening despite the rain towards the end of the trip.

Midlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great experience with knowledgeable guide”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Dan was recommended to us by our B&B but as it was rainy season and there had been alot of rainfall, we were advised to call to check if Dan would do a trip as, unlike some of the other operators, he doesn't go out regardless of the conditions. We called him the night before and agreed to meet at lunchtime with a few to going out only if the rain had cleared. Despite it spitting, we arrived at the meeting point hopefully and Dan was there in his boat...he said the rain would clear quickly and of course, it did! We spotted 6 crocs in all but Dan pointed out lots of other flora and fauna and educated us about the specifics of the area which made this much more than just a croc spotting trip, although they were undoubtably the highlight. Thank you Dan for taking us out, the personal service and fantastic afternoon!

Visited March 2014