“Brilliant! What an experience!”

Heritage & Interpretive Tours
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I recently enjoyed a private tour with my girlfriend through the Daintree rainforest and Cape Tribulation, led by Pete, the best tour guide you'll ever meet. The day started early beginning our journey by being picked up by Pete in his authentic all wheel drive Land Rover. During the short journey to Daintree, he kept us entertained with his knowledge of the area and it's history.
Upon arriving we stepped into the first of Pete's many "picture studios" for a scenic photograph and had a quick morning tea/coffee with cookies (which were delicious by the way). Shortly after he took us down a path through the rainforest known only to him. It was quite an "off the beaten trail" type of experience. Along the way he shared his extensive knowledge of the local plants and wildlife. We learned a great deal about falling out of the sky and still surviving, about different bush food, and hazards. Our feet got wet and muddy, but we were having a great time. He shared with us his personal experiences and his unique history. And then we drove some more fording streams in his off road vehicle until we got to "Pete's Restaurant". You can't beat this place for atmosphere as he takes you to have lunch at an unknown picturesque fresh water swimming hole in a quiet stream. An experience that must be rare because it is my understanding that much of the streams and rivers in Australia are full of crocodiles. There it is not so, and I enjoyed a dip in the refreshing waters with my girlfriend which is something I'll always remember. We finished the day on the beach at Cape Tribulation learning a lot about washing ashore and surviving and getting one more photo in the last of Pete's "studios". This is a highly unique experience which I highly recommend. Thanks, Pete, for the experiences, and for memories I'll always cherish.

2  Thank Chip F
There are newer reviews for Heritage & Interpretive Tours

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We spent the day with Pete on his rainforest walk in the primeval, pristine Daintree Cape Tribulation rainforest. What an incredible find this adventure was! I stumbled upon it when I was researching what we should do with some of our free time while vacationing in the Great Barrier Reef area. This guy is an incredible wealth of information. We learned soooo much and experienced things that we never would have experienced if it hadn't been for Pete. He is a one-man-shop so plan ahead and make your reservations as well in advance as you are able. This is a MUST experience for the Cairns area.

2  Thank MapleGrove4
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We just say that we entirely agree with the wonderful reviews already written about Pete Baxendell, the owner and guide for Heritage & Interpretive Tours. We went to Pt. Douglas to see the Great Barrier Reef and we didn’t think there would be much else to experience in such a small, out of the way place. Wrong! If you really want to have a hands-on experience of a rainforest (and lots of the flora and fauna in the general area), you couldn’t ask for better than Peter as your guide and 4 wheel vehicle driver. He’s spent most of his adult life in tropical areas and is an experienced guide and trained naturalist. You’ll drive through larger streams in his specially equipped Land Rover and wade through others by foot in the rainforest, so be prepared. This is not a bus tour where you just look out the windows! But don’t be afraid that the trip is too difficult. We’re in the late 60s and we were fine. You can be assured that he will tailor the trip your circumstances. Even the picnic lunch was wonderful. Plan a full day for this activity. Our trip was one of the best experiences of our two weeks in Australia.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

If you want an authentic rainforest experience, including sampling some of the local 'bushtucker', swimming in a remote watering-hole and learning about some of the amazing flora and fauna then Pete's your man!
We had a great day with Pete and were constantly entertained and informed by his stories, anecdotes and antics. He has a real passion for the rainforest which is infectious. Out of all the things we did in our three weeks in Australia, Pete was the highlight. We can't recommend him highly enough!
Thanks Pete for such an amazing experience!
Sam and Rosie (from Brighton, UK)

1  Thank Rose12102109
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I had been to the Rainforest before with another operator but wanted to show my family who had never been. I chose Pete because he looked as if he could offer something different. Well, all I can say is he over delivered. Pete is a charming and wise sage of the forest. His life experiences all add up to make the tour all that more interesting. He puts a huge amount of effort into researching and maintaining secret paths and rest stops through the forest. His wife also makes a superb packed lunch. It was my favourite day of my entire holiday. Well done Peter, you are a legend.

1  Thank Bigfish314