“Gone Fishing Cooktown”

Gone Fishing - Cooktown
Ranked #3 of 6 Tours in Cooktown
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooktown's premier fishing guide, offering guided fishing in Cooktown's lcoal rivers since 2002. Offering half, full day and extended river and reef fishing. Flick lures, live-bait and fly fish for all the great northern fish including barramundi, mangrove jack, GT's, queenies, coral trout and mackerel. Maximum of 5 anglers. Wildlife Tours - 2 hour interpretive tour, croc-spotting and birdwatching. Crocs guaranteed or money back. Kids welcome, beginners to advanced.
Croydon, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Gone Fishing Cooktown”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've just made it back to Melbourne after spending four days fishing with Mark Privett from Gone Fishing Cooktown during 1-4 October. This was my third yearly visit and this time I had five mates with me.

Six into one boat doesn't go, but Mark kindly made arrangements so that we could get out in two boats and we swapped around a bit. Unfortunately the weather wasn't kind and we could not go outside (this week has been perfect!)

Our skill sets varied quite a bit and Mark worked patiently to get everybody a fish and provided some excellent advice that the guys really appreciated. On the plane home today, Glenn told me that he had learnt a hell of a lot.

We caught heaps of fish. Barra, Jacks, trevally and even a few sooties on a side trip. Every day we had more than enough fish to feed six hungry blokes. Already, the boys are debating who can go next year and I still have a few on the waiting list as well!

Glenn, Rick, Geoff, Rathy, Banjo and myself all rate a day out with Mark and Gone Fishing a 'must do' in Cooktown. Don't plan on going for the first week in october 2013, because we will be there!

Mark Blundell

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Mark B

Cooktown, Tropical North Queensland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A different perspective from the sea”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Finally caved in to my two young sons badgering me to go fishing.
A very patient Mark took us out offshore and helped complete novices learn how to bait up and cast. Much excitement from the young fishermen and a steady stream of bait to keep them busy.
Mark knew when attention spans were waning and moved us around to a few spots so the kids did not get bored.
Great to be out on the ocean and observing Cooktown from the sea adds a different perspective to the stunning coastline.
As complete beginners this was a fun trip which has whetted the appetite of the kids to learn more and taught dad a few tricks as well - highly recommended.
Top tip - Serious fishermen will not be disappointed!

Visited January 2012