“amazing fruits” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cape Trib Exotic Fruit Farm - CLOSED

Cape Trib Exotic Fruit Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer an Exotic Fruit Tasting and Orchard Tour every day at 2 pm. There is always ten different tropical fruit on the menu - fruit you have probably never heard of,with names like 'chocolate pudding fruit' and 'creme caramel fruit'.We show you how to prepare and eat the fruit, share interesting stories about the fruit from around the world, and then take you for a walk through the orchard which has more than 2000 fruit trees from the Amazon, Borneo and the Caribbean. This tour is not just a plate of fruit - it offers a special experience which cannot be found anywhere else and is great fun.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“amazing fruits”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The exotic fruit orchard is an amazing place to visit ! I especially enjoyed Alison sharing her experiences and a bit of her life story with us - how she ended up living here and running the farm, the trials and errors and eventual success with different fruits trees. And what a feast she presented us with ! I learned so much and it was nice to be in a small group, so one could ask questions and it didn't feel like just being in another load of tourists that have to be channeled through the place. I felt very welcome and if I ever get to the Daintree region again, I'll stay at the fruit farm B&B, to be spoiled with all these amazing fruits for breakfast !

Visited January 2013

• Hebrew first
Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fruit Tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our second visit and it was as lovely as the first time when we first visted over 5 years ago. The afternoon was very entertaining and interesting. The owners are great to deal with and I really appreciated that they were kind and courteous to my two little children. I was unsure of how my kids would go, and they went very well and enjoyed the fruit tasting. I appreciated that they were welcomed and their curiosity was encouraged.
This is one thing that you must do when you go to the Daintree. It is something not to be missed!!

Visited December 2012
Wanaka, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing fruit, inspiring place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Can't prise this place highly enough. I booked this expecting nothing more than to be given some samples of odd fruit to eat. Instead our host Digby began by telling us the incredible story of how he and his wife went from being school teachers in Melbourne to starting their farm in the remotest corner of Australia and becoming one of the foremost authorities on exotic fruits this side of the world!

For starters, I also expected the exotic fruits to be things like passion fruit or pineapple, things which I've heard of but are still 'tropical'. Well, what we got was a whole basket of things which I've never ever heard of and couldn't identify at all!

Digby told us all about every fruit, including where they were discovered, how they are grown, and why they are simply not available for purchase anywhere, becuase most cannot be transported or dried/preserved in any way. It was amazing to eat these lovely fruits knowing that I'll probably never taste them again. I especially enjoyed the 'yellow sapote' which is rich and sweet but has the texture of cheesecake!!

After the tasting, we got a tour around his farm, and I was astounded that literally everything you can see is edible in some way. Also, how wild it all looks. He supports biodiversity by planting all the things together so that they work in harmony, letting it be a natural jungle environment and not 'farming' it. It's not all neat little rows, no fertiliser or persiticides, just nature doing its thing and us eating right from it!

I also love the fact that it's entirely seasonal. The fruits we ate today were different from what the tour group ate last week, last month. You only get what's in season, and I'd really love to visit again in a different season and get a whole different batch of things to try. He grows 140 types of fruit!

All I can say is, don't have a big lunch before the tour (which is at 2pm). I opted not to eat at all before the tour and afterwards I was still full until late evening. They are only small pieces of fruit, but there's so much to try, and after all have been tried once, you then get to attack all the plates and have more of whatever you liked best!

If I came here again, I would choose to stay in the B&B here as everything I've heard about it is great. But if you only have a short time here, definitely go for the tasting experience!

mellbourne
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“MUST DO!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is so much more than just a fruit tasting session. The couple who run the tasting / tour are lovely and ensure the afternoon has a very personal feel even when on days like the day we went there are 20+ people. They hold and share a wealth of knowledge and a true passion. Would definitely do again if in the area!

note: do not arrive on a full stomach!

Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Well worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Have been a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Would recommend this to anyone traveling to the area, you won't forget the experience.

Visited August 2012