“Great party place and great Location”

PK's Jungle Village
Western Australia
“Great party place and great Location”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stayed at cape trib with my partner for 4 nights and it was excellent. The staff were wonderfull and helpfull with what to do in the area. I had heard a few bad reports from previous years but I still went and dont regret it at all. If your looking to get away from the busy life and relax in the jungle or if you are looking to party away from the citys then this is the place for you. The Staff put on a beach party afterwards and it is something i wont forget..two thumbs up!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katy84ster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2010

... I stayed at PK's as part of an two day/one night package trip from Cairns. I originally had booked the doormstyle room, but for about 20USD I upgraded to my own room. I came here suggested by a friend of mine and I had a really good time. The rooms were okay, of course small and not four star hotel like, but hey it's a hostel in the middle of the rain forest. It's in a beautiful natural setting (beach really close by and wonderful), so I liked the little huts/bungalows set back in a lush green scenery and to me it fit perfectly into the rain forest area. Afterall going there is a trip to explore nature at it's purest and not a trip to Vegas. They offered all kinds of acitivities, horseback riding, jungle surfing, guided night walks etc. I read a lot of these bad reviews here and yes the rooms and facilities could have been cleaner, but I think its is a harder task for them, especially if you are there in the rainy season, everything is just wet and damp and muddy all around, well it's the rain forest. But most likely most of the tourists stay a night or two on an excursion side trip from Cairns, so for a short time, it was totally okay. To me the staff was great, especially the one girl who worked reception (I forgot her name - it was May 1 to May 2), was incredibly nice and helpful. They were dealing with more extreme than usual tarantial rain fall, longer than the regular wet season, so unfortunately they had a power outage overnight in parts of PK's. That girl had to break the news to guests and was extremly nice and helpful about it, she even gave me her own personal flashlight for the night to find my way through the PK Village. The PK'S Jungle Bar did have power, so everybody gathered there for the evening and it was a lot of fun to meet travelers from all over the world as well as very fun chatty locals. The food at the bar was okay and the staff also friendly. Pricewise, well I found it not to much different than other places in Australia, i.e. Ayers Rock etc, but I also live in NYC, so I am not "spoiled with daily life expenses bargains".

I say, if you are a little more on the high maintenance side, this is not your place for sure. But if you like outdoors activity, love to go camping, hiking, fishing, it's a great place to be.

I had a fun time there and would definitely go back.

A. New York City.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Ari1006
Jerusalem
Reviewed March 2, 2010

The staff wasn't friendly or helpful. There are lots and lots and lots of teenagers there so if you bring alcohol they will confiscate it from you. We had a room for 2 people with shower, for the same price you can get much nicer rooms. Our room was tiny! If you want to drink something you have to go to their bar where you'll find very unplesent bartenders.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cape Tribulation hotels

Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Don't bother staying here!! Cape Tribulation is a gorgeous place but any other hostel had to be better than this. Our room was literally a shed with a few beds thrown in it. Kitchen is absolutely dire, filthy with no utensils, ugh it was disgusting. The bar and kitchen were an absolute rip off and the internet was a joke-$9 for an hour!!

The staff took the biscuit though, the blonde girl behind the bar was so rude and clearly hated her job and took it out on customers. The ones in reception spent the whole time either talking to each other or on the phone to their friends and it killed them to help you.

There was a comment book that had all these complaints in it and they obviously read it but took no action to improve anything. Oh and the girls in reception had tipp-exed out a few of the complaints about themselves and wrote stuff over them like "The girls in reception are hot". Sad.

I recommend spending your money some where else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2009

PK's Jungle Village was a great get away from the city life, the sights in cape trib are unlike anything you have ever seen. During my stay here the locals to me under there wings showing me all the the great sights that you only get to see through living there. Over my time here got to see all the wildlife, go horse riding and see the great beauty of the the beaches and rainforest. I found the service here fantastic, all the staff were friendly and helpful. Its atmosphere is great all week long, with the manager out mingling with everyone on the weekends. I did find the rooms to not be the biggest however you don't really need that much space, when the only time you spend in your room is sleeping. I found the service here extravagant, by the time it came to leave I didn't want to go. I could only find one flaw at this jungle getaway, which was a homeless man with his toy unicorn (charlie) who he can be seen talking to. But altogether It was a great stay and i will definatly be going back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Geelong
Reviewed April 16, 2009

If you like...
* smelly, dirty toilets...
* rude staff...
* MASSIVE spiders....
* crappy rooms
* unsightly showers
Go to PKs...

We stayed for 15 minutes and headed back to Cairns for the best night out!
Funny thing is you can get an unreal clean hotel room with a pool and excellent facitilies in Cairns for $70 a night.... PKs was $95.. what the??
We stayed at Cairns Plaza and found it very well worth the 3 hour trip back from a lovely DAY TRIP to Cape Tribulation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Torbay, Devon
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Really wish we hadnt decided to stay in Cape Trib and had headed back to Cairns or Port Douglas after a day trip. We were recommended to come here by a friend (did not thank her afterwards!). We had a tiny tin hut which was damp and smelly.
The hostel is a very short walk to the beach but there is nothing to do here! The staff were quite rude and abrupt, the food which is served was horrible and expensive, there is a small mini mart by the hostel which sells (expensive) and limited stuff (we ended up having doritos with cheese and bbq sauce for tea!) and there was no atmosphere here. The kitchen was tiny and very dirty with hardly any utensils. Could not wait to leave this place after one nights stay (we had originally booked two nights so thank god we reconsidered).
Sorry but cannot recommend this place.

• Liked — Nothing, maybe its close proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
#9 of 13 in Cape Tribulation
Daintree Crocodylus
Daintree Crocodylus
#1 of 2 in Cow Bay

Been to PK's Jungle Village? Share your experiences!