“Excellent”

PK's Jungle Village
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay over February :)
Friendly staff once you get chatting. Excellent food at the bar
Dorms were clean & good.
Walking distance from the beach & Whet restaurant.
We enjoyed the pool also.
Great base from which to look around and take tours.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary_K1984
Dillan W, Manager at PK's Jungle Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2015

Hello Mary,

Wow thank you so much for the lovely review, i'm really glad you enjoyed you stay with us. Feel free to come and stay again soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We booked in to Pk's so we didnt have a big drive first up in the morning before doing our jungle tour. Got a room upgrade to include an ensuite which was fortunate as I thought that was the room I originally booked :) Also the website touted prices for meals available which we found a little disappointing as meals available were dearer and not much choice for our daughter. There is other places to stay in the area for similar money which may have been better suited. The beds were comfortable though and the area was quiet with not too much noise from other guests

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Freedom667

Hello Freedom667,

Thank you so much for coming and staying at Pk's i'm really glad you found it nice and quite and had a comfortable sleep. I do however apologies for not being able to provide a suitable meal for your daughter, we do have lovely meals prepared by our chefs which are priced for the value and portions of the meals. So i do apologies if you did find them to be rather expensive.

Please feel free to come and enjoy another night here at Pk's in the future, i'm sure if you mention you've stayed with us before we will be able to ensure you get a great deal and are well looked after.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed here for 3 days 8 years ago. Perfect location for the excursions we did. If you are younger, this is the right place to stay. The room had walls a bit thin, but if you are tired you fall asleep anyway. The breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Camilla,

Im really glad you enjoyed your stay, it definitely is a great place to be at a young age, but also a great spot for when you get alittle older aswell.

Really hope you come and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We arrived around 2pm and asked for a room to which we were given a selection. My partner and I chose the 'top of the line' room for $125 per night (remembering this is essentially a backpackers where you can get accommodation for around $20 per night so we figured $125 would be nice). We were given a key and directions to our room.

Once we walked down to the room, we realised that it had not been cleaned and so had to walk back to reception. The guy at the counter stuffed around a bit and I asked him to bring us a new key when it was ready, that we would be in the pool (which was close to green!). He said it would be about half an hour. About an hour later we still hadn't received a new room key so I went back to reception. I waited in reception (there were no other customers in there) for around 10 minutes before being told that he would organise something now. He walked off and I followed him into the bar where he walked behind the counter and answered a ringing phone. I went back to the table we were sitting at and waited......and waited......and waited.

Finally, I went back again, by this stage it was at least two hours since we had paid for a room and all I wanted to do was have a shower and lie down as I was not well. Finally we received a key for the room, after I chased it up three or four times. Once in the room, we turned the aircon on to let the room cool down (very, very hot inside). My partner went to have a shower and there was no soap, shampoo etc....there wasn't even any toilet paper!!! After a soapless shower, we had a sleep on the uncomfortable bed and when we woke to go find some dinner we realised the door to the room didn't even lock!! So, leaving all our stuff in an unlocked room, we approached staff who, without apologising, gave me another key. This room was completely different - it was clean, it locked, it had a fridge, toilet paper, shampoo, soap.....a real luxury in comparison.....so after about 6 hours we finally got a satisfactory room to spend the night. We met some other people who had a very similar experience.....

We were never offered a free meal or drink, absolutely no mention of a refund, and not even so much as an apology......

There is obviously a problem with the slow, useless cleaning staff but ultimately that reflects poorly on management......we wouldn't go back to stay again, no way...

Room Tip: I would only stay here if your main priority is cheap as I think the share rooms were about $18 a ni...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Becsy2014

Hello Becsy2014,

I'm terribly sorry for the confusion you had to go through when checking in to Pk's. Our housekeepers try their best to get around to all the dorms and cabins as quickly and efficiently as possible, so it was disappointing to here you were checked into a dirty room firstly, and then checked into another room where the sanitary items where nowhere to be seen. I am however glad that you were finally satisfied with the room that you received in the end. We do however have a great team here at Pk's who are more then willing to help you out if you're ever up here again. And look if anything ever happens like that again, anywhere, please do not hesitate in asking for a small compensation for your troubles as most places want to ensure all customers are satisfied with their stay.

Please feel free to come up to Pk's again, and we will ensure to look after you.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Lovely atmosphere, but then I have a thing for rainforest and rain. As some reviews said, gear concept, etc. but a few things could be improved.

1) The wifi is a joke, unfortunately. They use Global Gossip, which if I had known I would've stayed clear of the place. I know, I know, I shouldn't be concerned about wifi if I'm heading into the back of the beyond but still, you know it could be better when you remember it being faster on the 56kbps dial-up modem you first used when you were 18 for a bit of one-handed keyboarding. It's a bit of a rip-off having to pay either $4 for 2 hours or $7.95 for 24 hours without the option to log off so you don't use up any internet time while you're not actually using it. And when you do close your computer and then try to jump back on a few hours later to quickly check your emails, you have to wait about 15-20 minutes (15 to 20 minutes!!) before it can finally log back in! Heh. Now that I'm in. Cairns and staying at another caravan park, I get free complemetary wifi that's lightning fast and has park-wide coverage! Hmmmm... :)

2) The alcohol mark-up is sky-high if you're buying from the "bottleshop". $18 for a bottle of Amiri sauvignon blanc and $50 for a bottle of Gordon's Gin. Quickly checking the website, the Amiri retails at $6.65 to $8 at any BWS, Liquorland or Dan Murphy's. The gin at $37. Fair enough, I know it's a whole hour away from Cairns so I suppose they have to take the transport costs into account, but still leaves a bit of a bad taste in your mouth. No, you can't BYO because they're licensed, and if you do, their staff will drink it... ;)

3) Finally, would be nice to have a few more comfortable furniture around for lounging in, maybe a hammock or two.

Otherwise, lovely place, and Sophia and Frank (the owners, I assume) really are a lovely couple. Perhaps if worked on the complaints in order of the gripes (ie, internet being first!!), it could be a pretty amazing place to stay at for a week. I had planned to stay longer than 4 days, maybe a week or so, but the terrible internet drove me away :(

Can't say anything about the rooms. Definitely give it a go if you have a bit of cash and don't care about the internet :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
FrankVDHeijden, General Manager at PK's Jungle Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Hi Carey P,

Thank you very much for leaving a review about your stay at the PKs Jungle Village! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed all the beauty Cape Tribulation has to offer.

Unfortunately, the internet is something we have tried to resolve, however, believe it or not, this is the fastest internet we can get in such a remote area, and as it's operated through Global Gossip, it's not something we have control over, but we do appreciate your feedback!

With regards to alcohol prices, we are a good 2 / 2.5 hours away from Cairns, and we are the last stop bottle shop going north. So we do have to take into consideration our overheads in getting our supplies.

We will definitely take into consideration your suggestions about hammocks, that would be quiet comfortable I imagine!

We do hope to see you back again, and please do let us know when you do,

Thanks again for your time,

Frank van der Heijden

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I got this place as part of a tour that I took in Cairns. When we first arrived they asked me all my credit card details including the password or to give them $50 deposit!.
Rooms are not really clean, do not have any window, and it is easy for insects and spiders to get there. If you want to use the kitchen you must pay $20 deposit for using plates and pots.... no comments.
There are a pool that is nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marsstars
FrankVDHeijden, General Manager at PK's Jungle Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Hi Marsstars,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the PKs Jungle Village.

As part of our check-in (just like most hotels) we do request Credit Card details in case of incidentals, which is standard with accommodation providers across Australia.

We are located in "the middle of nowhere" in a world heritage rainforest, therefore, insects are indeed a commonality.

The reason for our deposits for kitchen utensils, is simply due to the fact that we are not self-contained accommodation and there is no way for the resort to regulate who uses (please read, sometimes "take home") our kitchen equipment.

If you wish, you can contact me directly on 07 4098 0040 with any questions or concerns you might have, and I would be happy to discuss these with you,

Again, we do appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back again in the future,

Frank

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed in PKs for one night as part of a 2 day trip organised by my booking agency. The rooms and activities offered were good but the guy at the reception was really unfriendly and made everyone who had questions apologise for asking and bothering him thus making everyone with questions feeling unwelcome and stupid. Being hungover at work probably does not help in being friendly to customers. The girls were helpful though and the bar staff was friendly too. The food in the restaurant was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Hi Margarete K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the PKs Jungle Village!

I am sorry to hear about your experience with our front office staff, and would like to get to the bottom of the situation.

I would invite you to contact me directly on 07 4098 0040 and ask for Frank Van Der Heijden.

Again, thanks for taking the time to leave your review,

Frank van der Heijden

Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
#1 of 5 in Cape Tribulation

Been to PK's Jungle Village? Share your experiences!