“time away in the tropics”

PK's Jungle Village
melbourne
“time away in the tropics”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed in Pk's jungle village for six days. We rented a bungalow with ensuite bathroom set at the back of the backpacker's resort in a lush garden.
The people here were fabulous and the setting is very beautiful. There were a few niggles however. The rooms and air conditioning were noisy, the pillows very poor and the food needed thinking about. The menu was short and only one change was made during the time we were there, the toast at breakfast was white packet loaf which seems very out of date.
Despite these annoyances the beach, the people and the lush tropical jungle were worth returning to.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the resort were quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FrankVDHeijden, Owner at PK's Jungle Village, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi Di J,

Thank you very much for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback about your stay at PKs Jungle Village.

Your feedback is very valuable to us and I will endeavor to address your concerns about the air-conditioning, pillows and breakfast menus.

Thank you again for your stay with us,

Frank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

So the hostel was good however unfortunately it was ruined by one rude French/Canadian guy with dread who worked there on reception. I have never met anyone with such bad social skills and he should definitely NOT be working in any position where any customer service skills are required because he has NONE!!! Ruined the stay there to be honest which is a shame. I was with 3 other people who also felt the same so all in all ... maybe have a staff rethink!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Kimclarke89,

Thank you for leaving feedback about your stay at the PKs Jungle Village.

I am sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with one of our staff members, and I would love for you contact me so that I can hear about your experience in more detail , could you please call me on 07 4098 0040 so that I can get to the bottom of this?

Noosa
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a fantastic experience on our previous trip to P.K's we were very disappointed when we returned a few weeks ago. The reception was chaotic and the girl behind the counter was obviously out of her depth. When we were finally given our key (after 23 minutes....sigh) we found our en-suite room (it must have been 35 degrees inside)...the sheets had not been changed and the bathroom had the signs of being cleaned ( hygiene paper over the toilet) but was dirty. When we returned to reception to ask for some clean sheets we were referred to the " Manager"( I put this in italics as the arrogant young man in a basketball singlet with gold chains, baggy pants and his cap in backwards advised me he was the owner) who offered us a drink voucher and said he would be right on it. 2 hours later a very stoned kid took 45 minutes to change our sheets and wipe the toilet. As we returned from a below average meal in the restaurant we passed what we were later told was the staff quarters, the " manager " and 2 scruffy boys were smoking something other than tobacco. Needless to say we didn't stay the 4 days we had pre-paid. We checked out the next morning and are still trying to get out money refunded. Such a shame.......

Room Tip: I have nothing positive to say about P.K's
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Chelle,

I am sorry to hear that you've had an unpleasent encounter with the front office staff at the PKs Jungle Village, however, I am very suprised to hear about the "Manager" you refer to, as I am the only Manager on site and our staff are in no way allowed to wear basketball singlets and caps.

Your comment regarding "stoned kids" seems very suprising to me as well, as we have a strict zero-tolerance policy for illegal substance use at PKs Jungle Village.

However, I would like to know more about these incidents and therefore invite you to call myself (Frank) on 07 4098 0040 as I would like to get to the bottom of this for you.

Travelers are raving about these Cape Tribulation hotels

Logan Village, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a voucher which we found in an information centre in Cooktown otherwise overpriced accommodation for what you get. Had a double room with ensuite great first night no one else in our 4 separate room accommodation separated by only walls. There is no privacy once you have neighbours in adjoining rooms unless you like to listen to someone else snoring, coughing, moving about and passing wind lol. Great location though close to beach and nice dining and bar area, big tv for viewing if needed. Found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. Definitely a great place for campers and backpackers and those wanting some time with nature.

Room Tip: take you own camper/caravan/tent
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Madonna,

Thank you very much for leaving feedback about your stay at the PKs Jungle Village.

We value your feedback enormously as this is what drives us to keep improving the Cape Tribulation experience!

Kind Regards,

Milford Sound, New Zealand
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I didnt know what to expect when I booked into PK's Jungle Village - but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The common area/dinning/bar area was spacious, fun and clean. The food was much nicer then most hostels, however, expensive. The cabbins were basic cabbins, nothing special, as were the shower area and kitchen area. They had a gorgeous pool area and the grounds were kept in great condition. Behind the main hostel bit, theres the camping area, which looked nice as well. Theres also a little pathway leading down to the beach - which is a must see if youre at PK's. Overall, this hostel was nice, clean, and fun and I would go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hi LaurenNicole91,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback about your stay at PKs Jungle Village.

We value your feedback as we try and make everyone's Cape Tribulation experience the best that we can!

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Kind Regards,

Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

It's rare that I ever rate any where poorly but this place was poor. The reception was chaotic and the French receptionist not interested and only concerned about me paying a $20 deposit in cash. As I was camping I asked what the deposit was for? I never received a a satisfactory reply and can only assume the deposit was a bonus for the staff if I forgot to collect it the next day as was told that it could only be collected between very narrow times? Next was the potential for credit card fraud, so pay attention dear reader; I offered to pay with my credit card, but it was not processed there and then. I was told to write down my card details on a piece of paper including the expiry date and the three digit security code. No way would I be so stupid so I paid cash, but I wonder how many guests, especially young and vulnerable backpackers, find that their card details are used for fraudulent transactions? This was a disgraceful lack of security. The bar was dreadful with a stoned youth trying his best to grope every female in sight and the staff just ignored him. The cooking facilities for campers in the campers' kitchen consisted of two gas rings for all campers, a filthy microwave oven, two broken kettles and a dead electric hot plate ( no pans provided). The bins were overflowing with rubbish and whilst eventually eating outside I saw my first Australian rat running around the kitchen , and no it wasn't a rare marsupial , it was a rat. Do your self a favour and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank raadjjh
Hi raadjjh,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your stay at PKs Jungle Village.

I am sorry to hear you've had a bad experience upon check in, however, the $20 cash deposit is required when guests pay their stay with cash and acts like a bond for your stay, just like any other hotel would put a hold of a certain amount of money on your credit card in case of damages etc..

Our check in process requires guests to put down credit card details, this is the same in 99% of hotels in Australia, so I am not quiet sure why this would call for accusing our staff of being involved in fraudulent activities.

Lastly, PKs Jungle Village has a zero-tolerance for illegal substance abuse on it's properties for both guests and staff alike.

I invite you to please give me a call on 07 4098 0040 as I would like to learn more about your experience and find out where and who you dealt with in order for us improve our business.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I found this an over priced cabin. The sheets were stained, the beds are worst than terrible. There are no windows. The bathroom is in desperate need for a screwdriver.

On top of this, the continental breakfast does not include coffee.

On the bright side, the beach is beautiful surrounded by unbelievable mangroves

• Stayed August 2013
#1 of 2 in Cow Bay
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
#2 of 5 in Cape Tribulation

Been to PK's Jungle Village? Share your experiences!