We had an awful experience at PK’s Jungle Village.
The staff is the most unknowledgeable and rude ever!
We arrived at 5.10pm, 10 minute after the official closing time.
At the bar/front desk no one was there and a couple of guys were playing pools at the bar pool table. They saw me right away. After walking around for a while looking for someone to talk too ….I discovered that one of these guys is the front desk guy!! He, very annoyed as I interfered with his pool game time, finally tells me to wait and go to look for the staff on duty in the kitchen.
The girl comes out and checks us in. We pay 28 AU$/each for a 4-bed mix dorm, (more expensive that a 6-bed mix dorm) that we will occupy in 3 people. When we get to the room ….it is a 6-bed dorm!
Hopefully, the manager is passing by chance by bicycle and, when I ask him what the deal is, he tells me to go back and ask again to be assigned a 4-bed dorm, which happens eventually.
The room however stinks of mold and humidity like hell, and it looks worse than the first barracks I slept in when I entered in the army! Plus …it has only one tiny window ….with no mosquito net ….come-on guys!!! We are in the tropics and in a forest right!!!
But the worst is the kitchen, which is basically unusable. 2 gas stoves working out of 6 ….to serve the WHOLE HOSTEL GUESTS!!!! Fortunately is almost low season and only about 30% of the hostel is full, but we still have to wait in line for the privileged to access the stoves for cooking. Then the final blow! The kitchen does not provide any plate or cutlery ….which you have to rent at the front desk for 20$ deposit!!!!! However, at the front desk they do not have any “real” kitchen supplies …..except for little plastic plates and forks (for free)!!!!!!
Finally, the cooking pots and tools in the kitchen then are inexistent! Only 2 pots and 2 fry pans, not other cooking tools available!!! Bottom line, the kitchen is unusable.
The sad part is that the kitchen is unusable because the hostel has his restaurant/kitchen and we are sure that the trick is to prevent the guests to cook their own to food force them to pay for the expensive meals at the hostel kitchen.
Although cape tribulation is a fantastic location ….We left the next morning for the perfectly organized, lovely managed and divinely located Crocodylus forest village, 20 Km south of cape Tribulation.
Take home message: unless you like a party place to get drunk in the forest (why you would do that? ….just do it in a party city, right!!), stay away from PK’s Jungle Village!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- PK's Jungle Village offers comfortable, affordable accommodation for families, backpackers and adventure travellers. We offer a range of accommodation from campsites and dorms through to private ensuites. All of our rooms have air conditioning. Located in the heart of Cape Tribulation, PK's is the perfect base to explore the Daintree. Our friendly reception staff can help arrange tours and activities in the area, we have an on site bar and restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as an IGA supermarket located just next door. Best of all...the beach is just a 2 minute walk away! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, HostelWorld, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your PK's Jungle Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pk`s Jungle Village Hotel Cape Tribulation
- PK's Jungle Village Cape Tribulation, Daintree Region, Australia