“Truly unforgettable”
Review of On the Turps

On the Turps
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our international chef will tantalise your tastebuds with Mediterranean style quality food using the finest of local ingredients. Dine with the bandicoots for dinner and enjoy breakfast and lunch overlooking the magical Cooper Creek.
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at The Heritage Lodge for 5 night and for four of those we dined at the in house restaurant On the turps. I can't begin to explain the most magnificent setting for a restaurant I have seen anywhere. Nestled high overlooking Coopers creek which itself is an amaxing blue colour, I was told that this was because of the different minerals bought down from the mountains. The restaurant is open air and brings the rainforest right into your dinning experience. Tastefuly decorated with 'real' tablecloths and glowing candles everywhere, the scene is set for for a very romantic intimate dinner.

You must try the Crocodile dim sims for an entree' we ate these everynight , they were exquisite. During our stay we had Barramundi, Rib eye, Lamb Madras and a Kangaroo dish, and everynight we were certainly not disapointed. For desert we had the white chocolate mud cake. Rum and raison dish and a mango cheesecake. All were soo srumptious. Anika and Vicki were our waitresses and we very imformative and knew the area well and were able to orgsnise some of our tours. Accolades to On the tups chef for his wonderful food. We live in Cairns and will be back

1  Thank Shannon l

Reviewed February 18, 2012

My partner & I took a look at the menu and found it ever so inviting, even though it was limited.

Reservation was made and we were both looking forward to a lovely fine dining experience, much to our disgust it is the worst dining experience we have had to date.

We ordered the Baramundi which was very ordinary and the Rib eye which was absolutely dreadful. What ever happened to presentation the rib eye was over cooked and surrounded by asparagus and broad beans that were probably frozen veg. Red wine mushroom sauce... tasted like a dash of red, four & chunky mushrooms!!

Seriously over priced meals at $30 each, one would expect a higher standard than a pub meal. In this case if we had to choose a pub meal or eat at the restaurant again, we would most certainly opt the pub meal 100%.

Service was friendly. Atmosphere just gorgeous it's just a shame the chef can't cook a decent meal ; (

Disappointed ......

5  Thank 76_tulips
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We were not staying here but came for lunch one afternoon by chance. The restaurant was near deserted apart from one other group. We had our 3 young kids in tow and the service towards us was brusk. We could see our waitress flinch when we asked for small things like a hold on a hamburger relish. Everything seemed a hassle. Clearly this place has an image crisis as it looks like a casual dining facility but thinks it's a fine dining restaurant with a try hard name. We ordered hamburgers, sausage and mash and grilled barramundi. The meat was burnt to a crisp - the kind of fodder you'd be embarrassed to serve at a family BBQ. Black sausages and hamburgers - the chef must have been either blind or drunk or both.. Even the kids complained. The grilled fish was greasy and lifeless. Only the chips were a success. And the bill tipped in at 90 bucks. Awful. The indifferent waitress held my credit card aloft smugly as I ran for the door - so keen was I to leave I'd forgotten it. Drove away quickly.

2  Thank Nick D
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We do ;-) be sure to ask when you eat there. We didn't stay in the hotel, simply ate lunch. Very well prepared, good service, right next to a beautiful stream, in fact if you bring swimwear they encourage a swim before dinner, sorry to say we didn't have the proper suits.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Although in a lovely setting with exceptional service, given the price, the food did not live up to expectations. In fact, even if I had paid $10 for my main, it still would not have met my expectations! Very poor and overpriced wine list. Save your money and eat elsewhere.

2  Thank AndyChiara