“Oasis in the Daintree”

Whet Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014

It is difficult to find restaurants that don't close early here in the Daintree. Still, with fabulous weather I suppose the idea is to get up early and get stuck into the amazing array of exploits that the rainforest proffers

So, it was good to find Whet which happily doesn't send the adults to bed too early in the evening. In fact, we had lunch here one day and the returned another evening to meet friends

It is an unfussy kind of place with a deck area outside where most of the tables are placed.

The service was a little patchy and we had to wait some considerable time to be served for lunch and also the wine came when we were well into the first course. These issues aside the food really was very good indeed. I have so enjoyed this long visit Oz particularly to sample the wonderful fish that we simply can't get back in Europe. Whet offers a abundant variety and all cooked skillfully. The fries and salads are fairly stock fare and the portions are generous to say the least.

It is reasonably priced, unpretentious and delivers superb fish.

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Good food in an isolated place. A little expensive but understandable given the costs up here. Yum! We had lunch. Try the choc cake it was great.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Food was OK, nothing fancy or very impressive but big servings, and a great atmosphere with the torch-lit deck and the pitch black rainforest just metres away. Would chose this place for dinner in Cape Trib.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I am local and having been hanging to eat here. I had the fresh Tuna salad which was beautiful. Take Aerogard or use theirs when you arrive as the midges were attacking the day I went. Only criticism: my guest had a condition which meant she couldn't eat much. She asked for a child's portion and was refused. The waitress said, "we don't really do children's portions here." What? Sorry? Can you repeat that? What sort of cafe doesn't want family trade? The sort that had 4 people including us in the cafe that day. Despite that negative experience the food was fantastic and I will be back...with my partner...and his kids....and guess what I'll be asking for...he he he!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This place is a suprise. You do not expect this kind of resaurant in this area. It is a first class place with excellent food, and nice wines.