“Great food”

Whet Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I am local and having been hanging to eat here. I had the fresh Tuna salad which was beautiful. Take Aerogard or use theirs when you arrive as the midges were attacking the day I went. Only criticism: my guest had a condition which meant she couldn't eat much. She asked for a child's portion and was refused. The waitress said, "we don't really do children's portions here." What? Sorry? Can you repeat that? What sort of cafe doesn't want family trade? The sort that had 4 people including us in the cafe that day. Despite that negative experience the food was fantastic and I will be back...with my partner...and his kids....and guess what I'll be asking for...he he he!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This place is a suprise. You do not expect this kind of resaurant in this area. It is a first class place with excellent food, and nice wines.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

The food here was really great, although the salmon was specifically stated as being med-rare and mine was well done. I didn't mind and the overall dish was exceptional with beautiful flavours. Thai beef salad and mezzo plate were perfect.

The entree and mains selection was unique without being weird, with local influences and good options. Wine list was good with good choices at all budget points.

The dessert menu is a terrible let down, three very boring choices. Maybe one safe options makes sense, but in that environment sticky date pudding is ridiculous. Something tropical (eg lime pannacotta) would have been perfect.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

It was raining and we just wanted somewhere to grab a bite to eat and to our surprise we came across Whet about 30 Kay's along the cape trib road once you take the ferry across. Great food and atmosphere

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The reason that folks head to Cape Tribulation is for the outdoor activities, not the fine dining. None the less the Whet does a good job of providing decent food, good drinks, and reasonable value in a place where there are frankly, not many choices. The outdoor seating was great and the atmosphere charming but the service was below average and the was food good, but not exceptional. None the less I would recommend.