“A fantastic adventure”
Review of Ocean Safari

Ocean Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ocean Safari offers an exhilarating ride to snorkel the pristine untouched Great Barrier Reef off the Daintree Coast at Cape Tribulation. This half day eco tour visits two different snorkel destinations, each with an extraordinary array of marine life and coral species.The tour begins at Cape Tribulation beach where guests board the vessel bound for the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef. After an exhilarating fast ride of approximately 25 minutes guests are ready to snorkel two fabulous locations at Mackay and Undine Reefs. On most days the rainforest can be seen along the mainland beach whilst snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef, home to an abundance of marine life as well as beautiful hard and soft corals.The Ocean Safari vessel takes a maximum of 25 passengers allowing guests to experience tropical paradise and the pleasure of a small group. The vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines. The experienced Skipper and Eco Host ensure the trip is filled with fun and appreciation of the Great Barrier Reef and the coastal rainforest of the Daintree, two world heritage areas side by side. Magical memories like these sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. The Ocean Safari check in office is at the Turtle Rock Cafe and Safari Lodge, Cape Tribulation Road and a courtesy bus pick up from Cape Tribulation accommodation is included. Ocean Safari has Advanced Eco Accreditation.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 21, 2010

A great morning out to see the reef! Ocean Safari take small groups out, so it's well worth a trip up to Cape Tribulation from Cairns or Port Douglas if you're staying down there. I ended up with just 7 others the morning we were there. Our hosts for the trip did a fantastic job of looking after us and were able to explain all the marine life we were coming into contact with and answer any questions which came up. On our trip we had the added bonus of seeing some dolphins on the way out to the reef, and when we were there, managed to catch sight of a dugong which the crew said was an extremely rare sighting. We were also the only boat out at the Mackay reef the day I went, so we had it all to ourselves. As Cape Tribulation is not too far from the reef, this gave us plenty of time to explore. I'd highly recommend giving this trip a try, you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Potnoodle23
There are newer reviews for Ocean Safari

Reviewed December 24, 2009

On my tour to Oz, I had already snorkelled at Lady Elliot Island, the Whitsundays, and now at Cape Tribulation.

There were about 20 people on the Rib, all kitted out with westsuits, flippers, snorkells and masks as we zoomed off from Cape Tribs beach. The Rib ride trip took 25 minutes to get to the Mackay reef.. sit in the front seat if you want an excillerating ride, with lots of bumps... sit in the back if youo just want a quiet snooze..

Once out on the reef we all got in to the water, at two separate locations and snorekelled where ever we wanted to... it was great seeing different fishs, turtles, eagle rays, giant multi coloured clams etc etc this reef was much different to the places I had snorkelled before. The must of spent about 2 hours snorkelling...

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, the snorkelling, the explanations by the staff of all the sea-life that we saw under the water, and then it was time to head back... would I go again... I wouldn't hesitate..

Reviewed September 26, 2009

I went on several snorkling and diving trips on my trip to Australia and the Ocean Safari took us to the most pristine reef I've ever seen. Jason and Travis were the most helpful and accommodating hosts of any we encountered in Australia. This trip definitely gets two thumb up.

Reviewed September 4, 2009

We did the ocean safari in August and then we did a few dives/snorkels from boats based in port douglas. The ocean safari snorkling was by far the best snorkeling trip we did. Only 30 mins on the boat and the rest of the time in the water at some beautiful sites. The guys look after everyone and give a very intersting talk on what you see out there and the local reef area on the boat on the way back. Highly recommend this trip. Was the best trip we did in Cape Trib by along shot.

Reviewed July 7, 2009

I have been to the reef on many occasions from Cairns and Port Douglas I have also dived the reef off Cairns, but our day on the Ocean Safari was the best yet.
Jason and Travis our hosts were fantastic and they took us to the best part of the reef, it was just like the pictures, when you imagine the reef you think of all the colours and hundreds of fish and there was everything right there in front of your eyes.
Well done guys this was the best day out at the reef, I will definately recommend the drive from Cairns to Cape Trib just for this experience.