“Definite Must Do”
Review of Ocean Safari

Ocean Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ocean Safari offers an exhilarating ride to snorkel the pristine untouched Great Barrier Reef off the Daintree Coast at Cape Tribulation. This half day eco tour visits two different snorkel destinations, each with an extraordinary array of marine life and coral species.The tour begins at Cape Tribulation beach where guests board the vessel bound for the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef. After an exhilarating fast ride of approximately 25 minutes guests are ready to snorkel two fabulous locations at Mackay and Undine Reefs. On most days the rainforest can be seen along the mainland beach whilst snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef, home to an abundance of marine life as well as beautiful hard and soft corals.The Ocean Safari vessel takes a maximum of 25 passengers allowing guests to experience tropical paradise and the pleasure of a small group. The vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines. The experienced Skipper and Eco Host ensure the trip is filled with fun and appreciation of the Great Barrier Reef and the coastal rainforest of the Daintree, two world heritage areas side by side. Magical memories like these sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. The Ocean Safari check in office is at the Turtle Rock Cafe and Safari Lodge, Cape Tribulation Road and a courtesy bus pick up from Cape Tribulation accommodation is included. Ocean Safari has Advanced Eco Accreditation.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Definite Must Do”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was definitely the highlight of our trip to far north QLD. The group was small, the boat was fun and the reef was astoundingly beautiful. We saw amazing coloured fish, beautiful coral, huge clams, sting rays and turtles.

Kane and Brin were brilliant guides and we really appreaciated their commitment to protecting the reef. They were happy to answer any question and were always on the lookout for anything interesting to point out to us.

While we were snorkelling Brin also noticed that I was feeling the cold quite badly (even with a wetsuit) and sent me back to boat where Kane helped me out with an extra layer to keep me a little warmer, which was very much appreciated! There were also floats for those who weren't as confident in the water (I used one of these too).

There was 2 hours of snorkelling in total, at 2 different points on the reef (1 hour at each spot) which was the perfect amount of time. Would definitely go back and do it all again.

Visited October 2013

• Finnish first
UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was my very first snorkelling trip and I would highly recommend it! Water was very clear with great visibility, saw lots of fish, sea turtles and a reef shark. Great view of Cape Tribulation from the water as you head out and back to the reef. No other boats around, only our small tour group. The water was a little on the cold side and most people including me hired a wetsuit ($8 extra). I get cold easily and even with the wet suit I was shivering after about 45 minutes so didn’t manage to make full use of the two hours they allow, others including my partner did though. I’d recommend taking a fleece and shorts to wear over your swimmers when you get out of the water as there is nowhere to change on the boat.

Visited September 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Reef experience with kids”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We did a half day safari with another family - 5 kids and 4 adults in all. It was a fantastic trip, very informative about the ocean and local region. The crew really made the trip and were great with the kids. We've done other reef trips from Port Douglas but this was unique, no where near as busy and we didn't feel like we were on a theme park outing.

Visited October 2013
Brisbane
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“What a hoot!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

As good as people say. It was great being at the reef after 30 minutes, not hours. Good staff, well informed. More clams than I've seen before. I'd like to go back

Visited August 2013
Battambang, Cambodia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Avatar adventure”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The boat ride out to the reef for the half day snorkel was a bouncy adventure, followed by the descent into the water for a psychedelic display of the colors, shapes and creature habits that inspired many of the weird world of the film avatar. The corals were stunning, as were the fish, turtles, rays and other creatures. The staff/ guides are passionate about both sharing and conserving the local reef environment and know more than our group could find questions for. Together with an efficient service that doesn't feel like you are hanging around with nothing happening. Brilliant for kids and adults.

Visited September 2013