“Amazing!”

Ocean Safari
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Cape Tribulation
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ocean Safari offers an exhilarating ride to snorkel the pristine untouched Great Barrier Reef off the Daintree Coast at Cape Tribulation. This half day eco tour visits two different snorkel destinations, each with an extraordinary array of marine life and coral species.The tour begins at Cape Tribulation beach where guests board the vessel bound for the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef. After an exhilarating fast ride of approximately 25 minutes guests are ready to snorkel two fabulous locations at Mackay and Undine Reefs. On most days the rainforest can be seen along the mainland beach whilst snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef, home to an abundance of marine life as well as beautiful hard and soft corals.The Ocean Safari vessel takes a maximum of 25 passengers allowing guests to experience tropical paradise and the pleasure of a small group. The vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines. The experienced Skipper and Eco Host ensure the trip is filled with fun and appreciation of the Great Barrier Reef and the coastal rainforest of the Daintree, two world heritage areas side by side. Magical memories like these sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. The Ocean Safari check in office is at the Turtle Rock Cafe and Safari Lodge, Cape Tribulation Road and a courtesy bus pick up from Cape Tribulation accommodation is included. Ocean Safari has Advanced Eco Accreditation.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was my very first snorkelling trip and I would highly recommend it! Water was very clear with great visibility, saw lots of fish, sea turtles and a reef shark. Great view of Cape Tribulation from the water as you head out and back to the reef. No other boats around, only our small tour group. The water was a little on the cold side and most people including me hired a wetsuit ($8 extra). I get cold easily and even with the wet suit I was shivering after about 45 minutes so didn’t manage to make full use of the two hours they allow, others including my partner did though. I’d recommend taking a fleece and shorts to wear over your swimmers when you get out of the water as there is nowhere to change on the boat.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We did a half day safari with another family - 5 kids and 4 adults in all. It was a fantastic trip, very informative about the ocean and local region. The crew really made the trip and were great with the kids. We've done other reef trips from Port Douglas but this was unique, no where near as busy and we didn't feel like we were on a theme park outing.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

As good as people say. It was great being at the reef after 30 minutes, not hours. Good staff, well informed. More clams than I've seen before. I'd like to go back

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The boat ride out to the reef for the half day snorkel was a bouncy adventure, followed by the descent into the water for a psychedelic display of the colors, shapes and creature habits that inspired many of the weird world of the film avatar. The corals were stunning, as were the fish, turtles, rays and other creatures. The staff/ guides are passionate about both sharing and conserving the local reef environment and know more than our group could find questions for. Together with an efficient service that doesn't feel like you are hanging around with nothing happening. Brilliant for kids and adults.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friend and I did the morning half day safari and had an amazing time, the guide Kayne, should us all the best spots in the water, we saw sting rays, swam with turtles and hundreds of beautiful brightly coloured fish.

The tour was only for a small group (25 max) and they took us out to completely empty areas if the reef. There was a guide with you in the water at all time taking you to the areas where you are more likely to see the more exciting marine life. We were given wetsuits, flippers, snorkel and masks, all really clean and there were floats avalible for the more nervous swimmer.

Would 100% recommend the experience and would definitely do it again. I have snorkelled in several places on the west coast including the Whitsunday's and and this was by far by favourite.

Thank you ocean safari for a fantastic day!