“Fantastic snorkeling”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean Safari

Ocean Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ocean Safari offers an exhilarating ride to snorkel the pristine untouched Great Barrier Reef off the Daintree Coast at Cape Tribulation. This half day eco tour visits two different snorkel destinations, each with an extraordinary array of marine life and coral species.The tour begins at Cape Tribulation beach where guests board the vessel bound for the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef. After an exhilarating fast ride of approximately 25 minutes guests are ready to snorkel two fabulous locations at Mackay and Undine Reefs. On most days the rainforest can be seen along the mainland beach whilst snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef, home to an abundance of marine life as well as beautiful hard and soft corals.The Ocean Safari vessel takes a maximum of 25 passengers allowing guests to experience tropical paradise and the pleasure of a small group. The vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines. The experienced Skipper and Eco Host ensure the trip is filled with fun and appreciation of the Great Barrier Reef and the coastal rainforest of the Daintree, two world heritage areas side by side. Magical memories like these sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. The Ocean Safari check in office is at the Turtle Rock Cafe and Safari Lodge, Cape Tribulation Road and a courtesy bus pick up from Cape Tribulation accommodation is included. Ocean Safari has Advanced Eco Accreditation.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Fantastic snorkeling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We went to a sand cay quite close to Cape Tribulation to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef with Ocean Safari. The boat was a zodiac with room for 25 people & our trip was full. The day we went the wind was up and the sea was very choppy & frankly we were wondering just why we were doing this. As soon as we got in the water we knew - just outstanding snorkeling - we have snorkeled all over the world & this really was one of the best we've ever seen. We saw our first turtle in 5 minutes. Stingrays and a spotted leopard ray were exciting spots too. Won't lie about the conditions being really difficult, but despite the big swell, it was totally worth it. On a fine day it would be outstanding.
The crew were friendly and good humoured and everyone had a good time. Those who gave up early saw whales breaching! This is a great tour we'd very highly recommend.

Visited August 2011

• Finnish first
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great staff, incredible reef, and whales as unexpected bonus!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We took a morning reef trip with our teenage son. All was well organized, and staff was cheerful and efficient. The Great Barrier Reef kept is promises to the full, and after two relaxing hours snorkeling in two different spots, including one turtle sighting, one friendly shark from a distance (not to worry, they are small and harmless), and plenty of magical corals and fish and other creatures of the deep, we headed home happy.

Lo and behold! humpback whales were sighted, our boat steered their way, and one of them even came up to us and frolicked around for several minutes. I know this is quite rare, and we couldn't believe our luck, but the crew was kind enough to extend our trip by almost an hour beyond schedule to allow everyone to enjoy these majestic mammals. A highly recommended adventure, even without the whales.

Visited August 2011
Santa Barbara, California
3 attraction reviews
“We went with Ocean Safari twice and loved both trips. Amazing reef and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We took 17 of our university students and our 8-year-old twins on a private half-day charter to the reef with Ocean Safari. It was a quick trip out, two hours of amazing reef snorkeling and then back to Cape Trib in time for lunch. Bring underwater camera and warm clothes for ride back. We saw whales, turtles, rays, thousands of fish and the most colorful corals I've ever seen. We had one student that didn't know how to swim. Our guide put floats on her and towed her around so she could see everything. It was one of the highlights of our trip to Australia.

The group price they gave us was good. The service was fantastic. We were so thrilled we went again several days later. If you are going to Cape Trib do not miss this.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Rude lack of responsibility”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

We booked a morning reef trip through one of the local agents. At the same time we booked a river cruise for Monday, a tentative kayak booking (weather dependent) for Tuesday morning and the Ocean Safari reef trip for Wednesday morning. We paid our deposits. We were given receipts and a printout with times. Fine. We are organised. This was something we were really looking forward to.

After standing patiently in the queue, I was given very short shift when I reached the counter. I was told that our names were on the Tuesday list and, as this trip was full, could I move out of the way so that they could organise boarding. I was coerced into putting our names down for the afternoon trip and told by Jason to move aside.

Hey! I am a reasonable person. Mix-ups happen. I make mistakes .... though in this case it definitely wasn't me. I had the paperwork and the receipt clearly showing Wednesday morning. I was there when the agent booked for Wednesday morning.

The afternoon trip that we had been pressured to put our names down for as an alternative did not suit us but we could see that they were busy so we went off and had coffee and returned when things had quietened down to rebook.

If I had felt that I was somewhat brusquely asked to move to the side during their busy boarding time, things got much more heated now. I simply asked Sharee if we change our booking to a morning .... any morning.

They became argumentative and surly, telling me that they were not to blame, that it wasn't their fault, that they were tourist operators and they don't make mistakes.

I simply didn't care who made the mistake .... just that I wanted to rebook a morning trip. Maybe because I wasn't about to say that my paperwork was wrong and they were right, maybe because I was willing to take any morning and they were looking for a fight ... who knows??? but they got rude and aggressive. Jason continued ranting and declared that we were actually a "No Show" for Tuesday's trip and I should be charged for it and to return to the agent for a refund.

Good grief ... they need to take some responsibility!!! This was a mere paperwork glitch (not by me!) ... not a good sign for how much responsibility they take for the passengers on the reef trip. So sad that as there is no competition we were not able to go with another company and missed out on the reef experience.

We stayed 2 weeks in the Daintree and loved every minute of it except for our dealings with these rude tour operators.

5 Thank julnol
OceanSafariCapeTrib, Owner at Ocean Safari, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
We apologise that you did not get to join our tour on your holiday, it was school holidays and we were full for four mornings in a row but we did have availability on the afternoon tour which you declined.We had your booking down for the day before, it is our policy to always double check the date and number of persons travelling so we dont end up with a situation where the boat is overbooked, Sharee had personally checked the details for your booking with the booking agent.Our company lost out as we ran with two seats empty but we were prepared to still honour your ticket and not charge you for the "no show" if you had joined the afternoon tour.Unfortunately your request to knock back some of our customers so you could join the tour was definately not an option. The date on your ticket had been changed which may be the cause of the confusion.
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Visited cape trib from the US and this was definitely the best part. The crew was so nice and fun and the reef was breathtaking. I loved the small group and the freedom to explore the reef on your own. This is a must if you plan on visiting the reef-- the 25 min boat tide out helps too

1 Thank eevans1