“Rude lack of responsibility”
Review of Ocean Safari

Ocean Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ocean Safari offers an exhilarating ride to snorkel the pristine untouched Great Barrier Reef off the Daintree Coast at Cape Tribulation. This half day eco tour visits two different snorkel destinations, each with an extraordinary array of marine life and coral species.The tour begins at Cape Tribulation beach where guests board the vessel bound for the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef. After an exhilarating fast ride of approximately 25 minutes guests are ready to snorkel two fabulous locations at Mackay and Undine Reefs. On most days the rainforest can be seen along the mainland beach whilst snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef, home to an abundance of marine life as well as beautiful hard and soft corals.The Ocean Safari vessel takes a maximum of 25 passengers allowing guests to experience tropical paradise and the pleasure of a small group. The vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines. The experienced Skipper and Eco Host ensure the trip is filled with fun and appreciation of the Great Barrier Reef and the coastal rainforest of the Daintree, two world heritage areas side by side. Magical memories like these sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. The Ocean Safari check in office is at the Turtle Rock Cafe and Safari Lodge, Cape Tribulation Road and a courtesy bus pick up from Cape Tribulation accommodation is included. Ocean Safari has Advanced Eco Accreditation.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Coffs Harbour, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Rude lack of responsibility”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We booked a morning reef trip through one of the local agents. At the same time we booked a river cruise for Monday, a tentative kayak booking (weather dependent) for Tuesday morning and the Ocean Safari reef trip for Wednesday morning. We paid our deposits. We were given receipts and a printout with times. Fine. We are organised. This was something we were really looking forward to.

After standing patiently in the queue, I was given very short shift when I reached the counter. I was told that our names were on the Tuesday list and, as this trip was full, could I move out of the way so that they could organise boarding. I was coerced into putting our names down for the afternoon trip and told by Jason to move aside.

Hey! I am a reasonable person. Mix-ups happen. I make mistakes .... though in this case it definitely wasn't me. I had the paperwork and the receipt clearly showing Wednesday morning. I was there when the agent booked for Wednesday morning.

The afternoon trip that we had been pressured to put our names down for as an alternative did not suit us but we could see that they were busy so we went off and had coffee and returned when things had quietened down to rebook.

If I had felt that I was somewhat brusquely asked to move to the side during their busy boarding time, things got much more heated now. I simply asked Sharee if we change our booking to a morning .... any morning.

They became argumentative and surly, telling me that they were not to blame, that it wasn't their fault, that they were tourist operators and they don't make mistakes.

I simply didn't care who made the mistake .... just that I wanted to rebook a morning trip. Maybe because I wasn't about to say that my paperwork was wrong and they were right, maybe because I was willing to take any morning and they were looking for a fight ... who knows??? but they got rude and aggressive. Jason continued ranting and declared that we were actually a "No Show" for Tuesday's trip and I should be charged for it and to return to the agent for a refund.

Good grief ... they need to take some responsibility!!! This was a mere paperwork glitch (not by me!) ... not a good sign for how much responsibility they take for the passengers on the reef trip. So sad that as there is no competition we were not able to go with another company and missed out on the reef experience.

We stayed 2 weeks in the Daintree and loved every minute of it except for our dealings with these rude tour operators.

5 Thank julnol
OceanSafariCapeTrib, Owner at Ocean Safari, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
We apologise that you did not get to join our tour on your holiday, it was school holidays and we were full for four mornings in a row but we did have availability on the afternoon tour which you declined.We had your booking down for the day before, it is our policy to always double check the date and number of persons travelling so we dont end up with a situation where the boat is overbooked, Sharee had personally checked the details for your booking with the booking agent.Our company lost out as we ran with two seats empty but we were prepared to still honour your ticket and not charge you for the "no show" if you had joined the afternoon tour.Unfortunately your request to knock back some of our customers so you could join the tour was definately not an option. The date on your ticket had been changed which may be the cause of the confusion.

• Finnish first
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing!”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Visited cape trib from the US and this was definitely the best part. The crew was so nice and fun and the reef was breathtaking. I loved the small group and the freedom to explore the reef on your own. This is a must if you plan on visiting the reef-- the 25 min boat tide out helps too

1 Thank eevans1
Derby
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We went snorkling in the Great Barrier Reef today with the Ocean Safari crew and it was amazing!! It was on my little brothers birthday so he even got one of their caps. The sea was quite rough which they warned us about before, but the boat ride out to the reef was amazing, like a rollercoaster in itself!! They explained everything really well and made sure everyone was okay. The reef and the animals were incredible. The crew made sure everyone was safe and showed you signals to let them know if you were in trouble whilst you were snorkling. I would love to come again and would recommend these to anyone - they really go out of their way to make sure you are having the time of your life!

1 Thank DerbySophie28
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ocean Safari is a must do at Cape Tribulation”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We had a great day out. Friendly crew, snorkeling simply out of this world, better than the trips off Cairns and only a 30 minute boat trip to the most untouched reef I have ever seen.

Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome crew, best tourism service ever!”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Just want to say how great Ocean Safari was from booking until return. I just cannot commend the crew enough, every single person we met was so helpful and genuine. We weren't very confident in the water (in fact, mum was quite terrified). But they were just so patient and loving in the way they treated us. I shudder to think what it would be like if we went snorkelling with any other tour company. A big thank you especially to Bones who took my mum hand in hand the whole time and calmed her down so she actually enjoyed the reef. It was a spectacular experience. We saw turtles and giant clams and multi-coloured fish amongst coral of all shapes and forms.

Thank you Ocean Safari! I'll be recommending you guys to everyone i hear is going to Cairns/Cape Trib.

Lots of love from "Team China" (Susan, Harry and Katie).

1 Thank KTChen