“Lots of gentle fun. We'll be back!”
Review of Babinda Kayaking

Babinda Kayaking
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Babinda
More attraction details
Owner description: Re-opening 16th December 2017 Kayak down the gently flowing waters of Babinda Creek. A pristine, crystal clear mountain stream teaming with fish, turtles and the elsusive platypus
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We went as a family of four (2 A + 2C) and joined in with another group of 8 people (5A + 3C). Even as a large group we traveled the 9 km easily in the time allotted for our half day trip. We even had enough time to stop for morning tea (that we brought) and have a few refreshing swims along the way! We never felt crowded even with so many people in the group.

Morning tea was available on arrival (Easter eggs, tea, coffee and fresh baked hot cross buns) and after a safety talk and life jacket fitting we were in kayaks and floating down the creek. The staff were very helpful and friendly and their instructions were very easy to understand.

My children (9yo and 12 yo) easily managed their single kayaks and paddles as did my husband and I. The kayaks have back rests which help your back tremendously and I'd suggest you allow yourself stops along the way if you are prone to sore bottoms, lower backs or legs from sitting in one position for a period of time.

Double kayaks are also available and they worked very nicely for our friends who had a toddler and a 9 yo son who has some mobility issues.

There is a small current to take you downstream and it was nice to let it carry us along some of the time. We went within a few days of Cyclone Ita and the water was crystal clear and beautiful to swim and play in.

We appreciated being lent the water proof phone case (as you need to call the company to let them know you've arrived at the end) as it gave us piece of mind as we paddled. A dry bag also allowed me to take my camera and get the priceless family snaps and video that we will keep as mementos of the fun.

It is a good idea to slather on the sunscreen, wear hats and sunshirts and sunglasses and we were glad we took water bottles.

The half day tour was a great way for us to go. We were finished by noon which allowed us to come home and have a nice nap (we are locals) but would allow others to go on and do other touristy things in the afternoon.

Thanks guys! We had a great time! We'll be back!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our family of 2 adults and 4 teenagers thoroughly enjoyed this serene, self-paced kayak tour. We went on the 8 am-Midday tour. We arrived a few minutes early and enjoyed tea, cake and biscuits before we went. We were outfitted with safety vests and a waterproof bag for our morning tea (pack your own) and a special case for your phone and then took the very short walk down to the creek (a couple of minutes). We all had single kayaks which was ideal as everyone had control of how they wanted to go and we always kept in visual distance of each other. The crystal clear water was beautiful for swimming and you could see the sandy/rocky bottom at virtually all times. Gentle rapids (easy to navigate) made for interest for the kids as did the superb swimming hole with sandy bank and swinging rope where you could have your morning tea (or at one of the other many sandy stops available along the way). The birdlife was amazing and we spotted pairs of red-backed fairy wrens, eagles, finches, willy wagtails and many more. You barely had to paddle as the current meant that the oars were mostly for direction, making the trip extremely leisurely. The 9 km trek was the right length and we were collected at the end of the trip. The service was excellent and I can't fault this trip at all. They have labelled this a must-do experience and we certainly agree.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

My wife and I finished our NQ holiday with a visit to Babinda, and a trip down the creek by kayak. I cannot recommend the experience enough. The water was so clear, and the creek's pace was just perfect to do exert minimal effort and just watch the scenery go by. This will be first on our list for next time we head back up to Cairns.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

I visit cairns alot, this kayak trip is the best day out. Scenic, fun, swimming & a bit of exercise. Will be doing it again for sure

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My boys and I did the afternoon kayak and had so much fun. It was self guided so we could go at our own pace. The river is beautiful but not deep so I felt safe at all times. The scenery is amazing and the kayaks in great condition. This turned out to be one of our highlights from the holiday. I will definitely return and do it all again.