“Average motel, below-average value but great service!”
Review of Parkside Motel

Parkside Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ayr
Sydney
“Average motel, below-average value but great service!”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed in Ayr for one night and decided for this motel. Having booked by phone, Bill (the owner) expected me and he was very nice, chatting along but not over the top. Bill's wife is the chef and her dinner was tasty and filling, and the service overall was great. The rooms were older style but very clean and they had everything that was required.

The only downside probably would be that what I have experienced was not worth the price tag. For $110 for a single room, something else is expected and I felt that I have definitely paid too much. The free Wi-Fi was good though, something not all Australian accommodation providers are offering free-of-charge.

Overall, not a bad choice and the only option I can judge in Ayr (so far).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Amsterdam
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The motel was recently taken over my new management, so I believe the other reviews may now be less relevant.
My extended family and I stayed at the Parkside Motel for my brother's wedding, and the owner Bill could not have been more delightful if he tried. He was so friendly and chatted to us about our plans, offering advice and was super helpful. Nothing was too much for the staff, as they catered to our rather large family and all our varied needs. They provided free nibbles at the pool on arrival, and provided stubby coolers for our beers, chilled wine glasses etc. The cleaners were lovely and offered extra toiletries and towels daily.
The motel is in central Ayr, and while it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of town, it's a good stopover point for those travelling in north Queensland.
Breakfast was great in enormous helpings in a lovely air-conditioned dining room. We didn't have dinner there, but the menu looked quite yummy.
The free wifi was some of the best and fastest access I've ever experienced across many countries and hotels.
All round - a great motel! Bill is a champion!

Room Tip: The rm close to pool has 5 beds for groups
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Gold Coast Queensland
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Happened to stay at the Parkside Motel in Ayr recently on our way north. We looked at the reviews posted here and thought twice about staying there. We drove by and checked out what it looked like from the street and decided to look into this place a little deeper as it looked nice from the street. Now I don't know what the other posters saw, did or got to endure, but our impression was that this older style motel that had undergone a recent refurbishment. The room we stayed in was a family room that was quite roomy. The kids had their own room to sleep in and that room had is own TV. Beds were comfortable enough and even if I tried, I couldn't rate this place anything less than "average". There was a heated pool, a restaurant and free broadband. Prices were average for what we have been paying and we have no complaints about the service. If you are looking for a budget priced motel that does everything you would expect form a budget priced motel, this place will fit the bill.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mackay
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I like the mention of the Menzies in the earlier review. We have since stayed at the Menzies for the same price!
Rooms are pokey and dirty. One star accomodation at a four star price. I do not like to be nagative, but have no nice comments.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
QLD
Reviewed December 29, 2009

A change in management has seen this place go backwards signifiacntly. I had stayed here many times over the years for work and the changes were noticeable. Pricing through the roof for 3 star accommodation, unless you haggle they will try for $110 plus/single/night. The restaurant food is now very expensive and of very poor quality. Unfortunately some staff had a very unprofessional approach with statements when asked about room rates for 3 or more nights, "what do you care, your company is paying for it". Will not be staying again....try the Ayr Travellers Motel, cheaper rates and brand new with quality rooms and service.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
haddon
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Overpriced (Initially tried to charge me $160.00, haggled it down to just under $100)over-rated, noisy when the local night clubs empty out. Then to top it off my car was vandalised and the owners shrugged it off.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Burdekin Motor Inn
#3 of 4 in Ayr
AyrLine Motel
AyrLine Motel
#1 of 4 in Ayr

Been to Parkside Motel? Share your experiences!