“Great value and great wildlife”

Chambers Wildlife Rainforest Lodges
Florida
“Great value and great wildlife”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We picked this place because of its mention in a guidebook and a recommendation from someone in a local nature reserve. It is a fantastic place right in the rain forest with lots of opportunities to see the wildlife of the wet tropics. The owner, John, was very helpful and is obviously doing this because he loves being there rather than to make lots of money. The rooms are spacious and it is easy to live in them and prepare your own food for several days, which is what we wanted to do. The price is quite reasonable compared to other similar establishments in the area. It is an older establishment but everything we wanted to use was clean and in good repair. It is also inside the rain forest so humidity and insects are going to be part of the package. No mosquitoes though.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
queensbury, new york
Reviewed May 29, 2009

From the moment my wife and I stepped onto the secluded property, we fell in love with the charming, rustic setting, and the sounds of exotic wildlife coming from the lush rainforest surroundings of Chambers Rainforest Lodge. I chose Chambers solely for its superb, easily accessible location and, especially, for its abundant wildlife, ranging from birds to mammals. As a professional, world-traveled photographer and serious amateur naturalist, I found my choice to be an excellent one! See a sampling of some photos I took in just one day! Chambers Rainforest Lodge is not only a must for those who thrill to wildlife encounters and look for adventure; it is also a haven for those who might prefer to just sit back and relax in solitude, knowing that the accommodations are beautifully appointed inside and that the staff is extremely nice and helpful. I found the lodge's web site to be one of the most all-inclusive sites I've ever come across, which helped me greatly in deciding that Chambers was THE place to stay at. The lodge is enroute to and from other exciting Atherton Tablelands destinations, such as beautiful Millaa Millaa Falls, Lake Eacham National Park and Mamu rainforest walk, all nearby. Food shopping is easily done in Yungaburra, also a short drive from the lodge. Chambers Lodge's web site describes a great deal more than many sites do. Go check it out and make your reservations. You'll be very glad you did!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank australia08_9
Queensland
Reviewed May 26, 2009

"The Chambers" is located in the heart of the Atherton Tablelands - which is one of God's most beautiful places in creation. It is located about 70 km from Cairns in northern Queensland, Australia.
Our stay there was most enjoyable and refreshing. The cabins were comfortable and nestled right up in the rainforest trees. We woke to birdsong and the sweet sounds of the rainforest.
The management was most helpful and considerate of our needs. We saw close to hand the pretty little paddymelons and the rare honey gliders. There was ample tourist information, history of the wildlife and other local attractions, the internet, telephone and other amenities available for our convenience.
All in all, it was a great place to visit and we would certainly go again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Traveller5809
Townsville
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I recently stayed at Chambers with my wife and 14 month old Daughter, and had a fantastic stay. We were travelling around on the tablelands and surrounding area and originally only booked in for one night, and ended up staying three nights.

For a soldier preparing for (yet another) long stint overseas, the week of leave prior to deployment is extremely precious family time, and John and his family did not dissapoint.

The place is in the best location imaginable for relaxing and wildlife watching. You can touch the rainforest from your room and birds will land right on your balcony with some encouragement (breadcrumbs etc.) Being surrounded by rainforest you can't hear or see any traffic and you will slow down and relax instantly. Lake Eacham, the most beautiful lake I have ever seen is within walking distance.

It is true that the accomodation is not brand new anymore but in our two stays we have found that everything works, is clean and well maintained. The rooms are spacious, well furnished and very comfortable.

We cannot fault the service. The owner, John, will do anything if he thinks it will improve your stay and he is a wealth of information on local pubs and restaurants and of course the plants and animals of the rainforest.

My wife and I stayed there a few years ago before we became parents and we will stay there again.

I would like to thank John and his family for making the effort during our stay to ensure that my last few days with my family were relaxing and trouble free.

I highly recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway or wildlife watching.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank TheMackerelWhisperer
cairns
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We only knew this place from the Web. We booked it and stayed there for 2 nights and payed A$ 280 (2 adults, 1 child). A lot of things that have been discribed on the web, were not available. The heated pool was not heated and far too cold to go into, the soccer table was broken, the sauna out of order, the "library" was nothing apart from a few novels or rubbish paper, the property's own boardwalk stopped after 10 m. because of fallen trees, the BBQ was too filthy and dirty to use and the accommodation itself dark and nothing special, def. far too much money charged. The least I expected though would have been little coffee sachets and sugar, instead there was an old container with old hard instantcoffee and a pot of sugar, that was so hard you could not take a spoon out of. Overall I would say the whole place is very run down and not looked after. The wildlife though was very good, but the I would not stay there again. We stayed once before at next doors cottages (Crater Lake Cottages) and payed $ 250 for only 1 night, but I did not mind paying that, because it was just perfect (5 star) and even there were more animals and birds all day long right in front of your cottage on the veranda. I will go back to Crater Lakes again, because that was just a perfect relaxing stay and very great birdwatchingexperience for all of us, even though it was a lot of money.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed November 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Chambers Rainforest Lodges in September 2008.
Our unit was large, very clean, comfortable, modern and well equipped.
The resort is deep in the rainforest and ideal for birding.
On our 3 day stay I added 163 new species to my list.
Maria spent some time each night photographing nocturnal animals at the sugar glider viewing platform.

Stayed September 2008
Darwin
Reviewed November 5, 2008

I loved the animals, great place.
Excellent relaxation sitting back on the comfy reclining lounge chairs and watching animals on your veranda:]
Bit out of the way, but I think that adds to the places atmosphere, short walk or drive to this large fresh water lake surrounded by rainforest, we went on a weekday and got the lake all to ourselves, skinny dipping anyone;}
Will be going back later this year, need some more time to explore the rest of the tablelands… was a bit lazy last time…

• Liked — The Rainforest
  • Disliked — Not enough Beautiful women
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atherton
Kookaburra Lodge
#3 of 4 in Yungaburra
Atherton Blue Gum B & B
Atherton Blue Gum B & B
#3 of 6 in Atherton

Been to Chambers Wildlife Rainforest Lodges? Share your experiences!