“Unexpectedly amazing!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$161.95*
and up
Historic Village Herberton Day Trip from Cairns Including Paronella Park and...
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Atherton
More attraction details
Owner description: One hour from Cairns on the Atherton Tableland, share one man’s passion for crystals and fossils. On this self-guided tour, you journey through tunnels and grottos with million year old natural crystals and prehistoric fossils. Interactive crystal displays allow you to feel and photograph and even crack your own…
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My 7 year old and I really enjoyed our visit to The Crystal Caves. I was not expecting such an amazing display. Having lived in Cairns for 9 years I finally decided to visit and will now recommend it to all locals and visitors alike.
We were really sad to see the place where someone had stolen part of the giant amethyst :(
We were impressed by the displays and the huge variety of crystals on display. Like another visitor we did not crack a geode due to price but will return sometime for the cheaper option mentioned in the manager's response.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

As an aspiring recreational geologist, I have wanted to visit this place for over a year. I was afraid I would be disappointed understanding that this "cave" is artificial and inside of a shop but my family and I were impressed with how well the place is done, not to mention some of the incredible items on display. The staff was very friendly and professional which only added to very positive experience.
We thought the prices for the amethyst samples were very reasonable as were many other items.
My only suggestion for improving the experience is this, My girls were really looking forward cracking their own geode. We had every intent on doing that until we saw the price. I think it would be a good idea to offer some cheaper geodes for cracking, the kids don't really care what's inside, they just want to crack open a geode. In place of the geode we got the girls some very nice pieces of amethyst.
We would recommend this place for kids as anyone who enjoys geology.

JimatTheCaves, Manager at The Crystal Caves, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Very glad to hear that your family enjoyed their experience in The Caves! Thank you for your suggestion about the geodes, we've taken that on board now and have a solution.

We've always guaranteed that every geode cracked will be hollow, and have nice sparkly crystals inside it, but responding to your suggestion we are now introducing a new, much lower priced geode. These geodes will be cracked the same way by the children, and although the crystals inside may be a little less spectacular this will still be something to be treasured by the lucky owners.
Thanks again.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We drive to Atherton and just saw this place, we spent some time here and walking around in this place.. I think it's a "Shop" rather then a attraction, but it's good to take a look on their display and hang around :)

The staff is friendly even we just walking around, they even told me what to explore inside their shop.

1  Thank Kelvin L
JimatTheCaves, Manager at The Crystal Caves, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, but it seems we owe you an apology!

For some reason it seems that our (usually excellent) staff didn't make you aware of The Crystal Caves museum beneath the shop. It is most DEFINITELY an attraction, one that most people spend an hour or more exploring! It stretches for a full block and visitors walk through numerous passageways and grottos, and there are over 600 world class specimens to see, including the world famous "Empress of Uruguay" - the largest Amethyst Geode in the world.

So our apologies again for only showing you the shop - really hope you can come back someday to see the rest!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The first day we drove to Atherton the caves were closed (New Year's Day) so we made the trip again a couple of days later. Our teenage daughter loved the actual caves and enjoyed cracking her own geode. Took so many photos of various crystals and cant wait to show them to our friends and family who are into crystals

JimatTheCaves, Manager at The Crystal Caves, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to come all the way back after finding us closed on New Year's Day, one of the few public holidays that we do close for.

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed the photographic aspect of The Caves. This is something that we actively encourage because its easy to get some great shots of the very special specimens on display, even with a basic camera. I hope your shots of "The Empress" came out really well and I'm sure they will impress your friends!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The crystal caves were well worth the drive to Atherton and a lovely end to a few days in Cairns. The tour through the caves was spectacular, they have set in out in a really interesting manner. The kids thoroughly enjoyed making their way through the display and the Empress of Uruguay was breath taking. The staff were very warm and friendly, a definite must see if you are up that way!

Thanks for your kinds word, and glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised!
We do find it hard to explain to people just how extensive The Crystal Caves really is, or the quality of the world class specimens on display down there.
Glad you decided to take the plunge, and thanks so much for taking the time to tell the world!