“great stay”

Peppers Mineral Springs Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hepburn Springs
“great stay”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great, relaxing stay. Loved everything about the retreat- great room, comfy bed, great food in the
Argus, terrific service at check-in( thanks John), Well done Peppers! The area around Hepburn is very interesting to explore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Diana C, Guest Relations Manager at Peppers Mineral Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Greg W,
Thank you very much for your review. John especially was delighted with your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We visited Peppers Mineral Springs Retreat this weekend as a last minute trip to the country. My partner was excited to stay there as he had filmed something there a few years ago.

I liked the decor of the hotel. The dark colours in the corridors add drama to your visit before you enter your room.

Our "Spa room" had a large spa on an elevated platform in front of a wall of gold mosaic tiles, behind which were the toilet and the shower. The doors of both were glass, so this room is strictly for lovers.

This was more evident in the Argus Dining room where we had dinner as everyone looked like they had been shagged or were going to be.

The service at the Argus was very good. My partner and I were hung over and flakey in our decision making but I didn't get a whiff of attitude from anyone who served us for the entire meal.

I wouldn't say our mains were amazing but the food was fun and a good quality. There was a sense of theatricality in the presentation of the food that we enjoyed. For example my dessert was a large coconut covered chocolate egg that was cracked open to reveal pineapple and what I think was passionfruit ice-cream. Some kind of sauce was poured onto that. It wasn't the greatest dessert I've eaten (I didn't finish it as it was too sweet and there was too much of it) but I appreciated the creativity.

I think the thing we liked the most was the complimentary tofu and fish egg custard that we got upon arrival. That was such a pleasant surprise.

I really liked the fit out of the Argus. It must have been hard to create intimate spaces in such a big room, but whoever designed it achieved that.

The big downside of our visit to Peppers Mineral Springs Retreat that we were woken up around midnight by drunken revellers on the patio below our room. I couldn't believe how loud they were. We closed the window which provided some sound insulation but not much. This made our room stuffy. I figured it was a Saturday night so I got over it and decided to stay up and wait for the noise to die down which it did about 2 hours later. If you book a room at Peppers Mineral Springs Retreat don't get room 211 as the sound insulation is awful. We were pretty bummed out that we were given that room.

I didn't complain as we checked out as it looked like the manager was getting tortured by some yuppies arguing over every single item on their very complicated bill. The manager remained calm throughout which as if he had dealt with people like that many times before. It took ages to check out, so I think additional staff were needed. Everyone wanted to leave at the same time so there was tension in the room as to who would get to be served next.

Room Tip: -Don't get a room over looking the patio - it was noisy -Don't stay in room 211 -The spa r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher-Hus... B
Dear Christopher-Hussein,
Thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful that you appreciated the striking yet intimate atmosphere that has been created with our recent refurbishment, as well as the attentive yet unobtrusive style of service we strive to achieve.
I am sorry that you were disturbed during the night by noisy guests. We do have a wide range of room styles to choose from which you may prefer on your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. The first night was a delight. Great sleep, beautiful room with an amazing spa bath. Breakfast was great with service with a smile. The spa treatment was fun and so relaxing. Dinner was sublime. BUT then the very drunk very foul mouthed conference group gathered on the next door balcony at 3 am. No apology from the staff when it was raised with them next morning. To top that off, breakfast was no where near the standard of the day before despite ordering the same meal which was presented in a different, less appealing way. I was even told to help myself to 'free' tea from the self serve station rather than having a pot of tea as I did on the previous day. Bit of a letdown at the end of our stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Mitchamfamily,
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room, The Argus Dining Room and the spa for the majority of your stay. I am sorry that you were disturbed by some inconsiderate neighbours on your second night and that you feel that your situation was not responded to satisfactorily in the morning.
We appreciate your constructive comments about your breakfast experience as it is not indicative of our usual feedback, and have taken appropriate steps towards achieving continuity in service and presentation.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.
La Maddalena
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Me and my husband recently stay at Peppers Minerals and spent two days in this fabulous hotel.
We choose "Springs tranquillity package" and everything was perfect!
Our room was beautifull, the food amazing and all the sfaff very friendly and helpful.
We loved our time at Peppers!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sedutasulmondo,
Thank you so much for your feedback! It is wonderful to hear that our team is meeting and exceeding expectations. The Tranquility package certainly is one of our most popular and luxurious packages where we take care of almost everything, letting you just relax. We hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.
NSW
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We used Peppers Mineral Springs Retreat as a conference (3 day residential) venue and for this purpose it stacks up fairly well. Just far enough away from Melbourne for our delegates to switch off from their day jobs but not too far away from Tullamarine Airport for the interstaters.

Accommodation ranges from tastefully restored and updated historic, like the 1864 heritage listed Villa Parma where I bunked down for 3 nights, to newer single terrace rooms – all very nicely presented.

Unfortunately it was the food that me down. The standard I was expecting was not achieved across the 3 days and I left a little disappointed.

Don’t leave Hepburn Springs without tasting the amazing water from the natural springs across the road.

Room Tip: I recommend the Villa Parma. This would be great for a bunch of friends or up to 4 couples. Gorgeous...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear BeachBoyNsw,
Thank you for your review, we are always delighted to hear that our conference delegates enjoy their stay. As we are located only a short walk to the famous Hepburn Springs Reserve where there are a number of natural springs, we accommodate for both conference and leisure guests alike! Kim our Sales and Events Manager has been working hard with event organisers to ensure all our conferences run smoothly. Villa Parma really is something special and we agree it is the perfect place to visit with friends to get away from the daily grind of the city.
Although this is unlike the feedback we normally receive, I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the menu selected by your group. Conference menu’s are extensive and vary according to the requirements of the business attending the conference. Kim works closely with our Executive Chef and together they tailor menus to suit a wide variety of tastes and dietary requirements. Perhaps on your next visit as a leisure guest you will be able to experience the intricate and awarded food served in The Argus Dining Room, rather than the simpler “working lunch” styles. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back soon.
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Hepburn Springs is a great place to visit and if you feel like spoiling yourself this is the place to do it. The gardens and surrounds are a pleasure to stroll through and there are so many different spaces to enjoy in the main building. The food was exceptional and if the chocolate coconut is on the menu do not hesitate to order one, it is the best desert I have ever had.

Room Tip: They are all good. Go for a spa room if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CJDevolo
Diana C, Guest Relations Manager at Peppers Mineral Springs Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear CJDevolo,
Thank you for taking the time to review Peppers Mineral Springs Retreat. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of the property. Our gardener in particular, who takes great pride in keeping the grounds in top shape, was very pleased. And I have to agree, it is very hard to go past the chocolate coconut!
We hope you will be able to visit again soon.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved our stay at Peppers. From the very start, you knew it would be fantastic.

We stayed in a contemporary superior room - which was modern, clean and decorated very tastefully. There are two doors to each villa - the outer door that leads to the short hallway (maybe 2 meters long) with doors to the two different rooms. The outer door is sealed so well that no bugs were in the hallway - quite a feat when you look at how many bugs were outside!

The sheets and pillows were good quality and I actually feel asleep in them almost instantly - which could also be attributed to the completely soundproof walls. My husband was knocking on this outer door and I didn't even hear him knock!

We loved the spa bath in the room - a little luxury we don't often get. It was so relaxing. Although I thought the way they included it in the main room looked a little odd - I thought it should either go closer to the bathroom or maybe make the alcove a little bigger.

Even with the bed, the spa bath, a table and chairs, the room was still roomy enough for us to fit a large portable cot in!

The best part of our trip was when we used the spa. Both my husband and I opted for a massage and time in the Retreat. This surpassed our expectations. The spa was decorated really well and included a lot of windows overlooking the trees and gardens outside and the masseuse was a really good one. The Retreat was really cool though. I loved the sauna and steam room although I wasn't so keen on trying the Infrared Detox Box. While they said it was safe, I don't like exposing my body to things like that if I can help it. The mineral baths were also great. It was an extremely hot day and they were the perfect temperature for relaxing without getting too hot or too cold.

The only real negative for me was the buffet breakfast. I thought it was completely lackluster and something you'd find at a standard hotel chain's buffet breakfast. The breakfast attendants kept refilling the warmers with eggs and things like that - but they never took away the remains that had been sitting in the warmer for quite a while. They just kept topping them up. The fruit platters were nice, but small and they kept disappearing immediately. I guess I was just expecting the buffet I'd had at other Pepper's - like the one on the Mornington Peninsula - and was disappointed.

In total, I'd highly recommend this hotel and the spa. I just wouldn't wake up early to make the buffet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sraep25
Dear Sraep25,
Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad that you enjoyed the peace and seclusion of your room, as well as your time at The Mineral Spa.
I am sorry that your breakfast experience was not up to the standard you were expecting. It may interest you to know that since your stay we have adopted a fresher approach to breakfast, with a continental buffet including individual frittatas, poached fruits from our farm Birch Estate and a ‘make-your-own’ muesli bar, topped off by an a la carte selection including ‘as you please’ eggs & bacon and French toast.
We would be delighted to welcome you back and get your thoughts on this new format!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hepburn Springs
#1 of 2 in Creswick
The Dudley
The Dudley
#1 of 5 in Hepburn Springs

Been to Peppers Mineral Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!