“Breathtaking”
Review of Hepburn Villas

Hepburn Villas
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at Hepburn Villas back in December 2012 and our biggest and only regret was not being able to sign the guest book as we had no pen... We can not say thank you enough, we both had an amazing time, the hamper was delightful, the location was magical, the accommodation was beautiful, the scenery was breathtaking and the overall stay was so peaceful and relaxing, something we both desperately needed... Will definitely be back and will definitely recommend to everyone... Thank you Carol and Mark, we can not wait to come back and experience it all over again... Happy new year to you both...

• Stayed February 2012
Hepburn_Villas, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words.
We'll obviously have to supply pens in the cutlery drawer!
Mark.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My partner and I stayed 2 nights here and the villas were nice enough, but the beds were rock hard (so were the pillows) so if you don't mind that then you will enjoy your stay. Note to owners (who you can only contact it seems be text message or email which is a tad annoying), invest in some kind of top layer to make the beds more comfortable. You go to Daylesford to relax and sleep in but my partner had to sleep on the couch as it was softer. On the positive side, the location is nice, the house over all is modern and nice enough so I would recommend staying here if you don't want to spend too much. Also walls are paper thin so if the next door cottage is booked out, prey you have quiet neighbours.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks for your review.
I'm not sure how to respond to the issue of the beds and pillows as I'm sure you'll understand no accomodation owner can have a variety of beds that suits all tastes. Some people prefer soft, some firm. If everyone had the same preference then I'm sure Bedding Retailers would be happy as they'd not need to carry a range of beds with different levels of firmness.
Before choosing our beds I did considerable ergonomic research which suggested that for a healthy nights sleep, firmer is better - except for people with back problems where a softer bed may be better.

As far as your comment on pillows, each of our beds have 3 pillows of varying firmness and if they aren't suitable, then there are 7 cushions in each villa again with varying levels of softness.

I also notice this is your second review, your first being an adverse review on a hotel in Singapore. Perhaps you could help everyone by also publishing your positive reviews?
As well as being an accomodation owner, I also contribute to TripAdvisor as a reviewer and while I'll happily point out the negatives, I also give credit where it's due. My last two reviews - Enzo's Restaurant and Paris Cat Jazz Club - were both positive and I hope the owners get encouragement from my (and others) reviews. These owners spend lots of time and money to please their customers and similar to an employee getting a pat on the back from their boss, they love compliments from customers - when it's earned.
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We fresh wife and I stayed for 3 nights during the last leg of our Victoria honeymoon.
It was so nice to be in such a quiet and relaxing area.

The villas are joined and you can hear what the neighbouring villa quite a bit. We were lucky and had a quiet couple next to us.
Except one night they put their dishwasher on just as we went to bed and it was incredibly noisie. But it was the only problem and it wasn't a major problem for us. We just done the deed while we waited ;)

The villas are very spacious and the spas were fantastic.

Highly recommended.

It's nice to not have a reception. We felt like it was our place :) just coming an going and we pleased.

• Stayed December 2012
Mark R, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks for the heads up on the dish washer.
Last week I had a noise and accoustics consultant stay overnight and measure all the noise levels from the spas, TV's, dish washers and background noise.
Even though (as you say) "it's so quiet", I'm trying to eliminate as much noise as I can and the noise consultant was employed to help out. He stayed in one half of the building and I stayed in the other half, where I turned on the spa, the TV at maximum volume and the dishwasher, and we measured the impact of each item individually and collectively.
His test results were interesting.
With the dividing door(s) closed, the noise levels met current building standards, however despite meeting current standards, the noise was still audible, and he recommended strategies to eliminate more of the noise. He suggested:

1. Hollow Dividing Doors be replaced with solid doors and fitted with Raven Perimeter Seals, and
2. Relocate the spa pumps from inside the building to outside.
If these items are attended to, then the noise levels will be almost inaudible and welll below current Australian Standards.

These items will be done progressively during 2013.

Other than the dishwasher, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Did you see the Kangaroos?
Doncaster East, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Unit was spotless upon my arrival from top to bottom, beautiful view off the rear balcony, birds, a kangaroo early this morning with the wind rustling the abudant trees and shrubs... pure raw nature. Going into town (outside of Daylesford) was a great couple hours spent. I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and the accomodation for a one night stay was very very much worth the trip. Wildlife, nature, peaceful, and most importantly GREAT service. DVD's to watch, books to read, comfortable bed, spotless bathroom. TV in the bedroom as well. Owners available by mobile and actually care about your well being, if there is anything that even requires atteding to. I will go back to this location when I visit the area again, with my partner thi time because I was away on business!! Great couples spot... bbq/patio area.. it would be difficult to find better accomodation in the vicinity, especially for the value, I have put in the research. 5-10 minutes away from everything, downtown Daylesford, the Lake... good times. Hepburn Hotel is a quaint country bar with a dart competition the night I stayed there and live music on the weekends... 5 minute drive. Thanks Hepburn Villas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mark R, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
So it appears you were impressed! From an owner's perspective it's very satisfying that guests enjoy their stay. And please come back with your partner!
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stay here as a late minute thing, as it was melbourne cup weekend.
We didnt thinkg we get anything close to town. This place is off the main street 5 mins to main part of town and you feel like home away from home! When we booked good services with email straight away and then a text with our villas and code. Love this idea, great modern updgrade. But for people like my parents who dont know how to text on moblie phones would not recommend it to them. When we arrived to a lovely hamper of goodies including Sparkling & apple juice in the fridge. The villa was spacious, and lovely. only issue Didnt sleep too well in the double bed (as my partner is tall and I needs a queen bed at the lease) But thats our fault for not looking at bedding type. Also my partner love that you had foxtel, so we could movies and updated with sports.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark R, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thanks for your review Kacey.
Just to clarify, we have Queen Beds and King Beds. It could be inferred from your review that we have double beds. No so. The Villas with King Beds are shown on our web site. Everything else are Queen Beds, apart from some standard single beds in the 2nd bedrooms.
I honestly hadn't given any thought to older people who don't have access to mobile phones, so you've given me food for thought.
We've had lots of older people (like me at 64yo - but keep that a secret), and I suspect these people book well in advance and we find different methods of getting them their door codes, etc.
But last minute bookings are nearly always dealt with electronically. Snail mail etc doesn't work for last minute stuff.
Finally a true story about the beds.
I donated a weekend holiday as a prize to a fund raising activity for a charity conducted by a professional business organisation I belong to. When the winners name was drawn from the "hat", I groaned as the bloke who won it was 6 foot 11 inches and his wife well over 6 foot. I told them to give me plenty of notice because I don't have a bed big enough for them! They are too big to even comfortably fit in a regular King Size Bed. I still haven't found out if there's a bigger size than King. I'm assuming there must be because what do oversized people buy for their homes?
With luck he won't claim his prize and save me the problem LOL.
So I recommend the Australian basketball team not book at our place!
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife, 6 month old daughter and I stayed here midweek on the stay 3, pay 2 deal.
I must say that the whole experience significantly exceeded our expectations. The modern facilities, boiling hot gas log fire (which was left on for our arrival), welcome hamper, kitchen facilities, scenery, check in service, price and comfortabilty were all faultless.

The 'spa country' area was amazing and our trip was just what we needed made even better by our accommodation.

Reading previous comments I wouldn't be concerned as they are trivial issues and must be negative nancies plus the whole area can be expensive (hence why we had to come midweek).

Thank you. I have already recommended to friends for their stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Hepburn_Villas, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks for your review. Hopefully you'll return when your daughter can walk and enjoy the gardens.
And thanks for referring us to your friernds, but please ask them to check availability as we are closing down for 2 days at month end for "heavy duty spring cleaning": We're also heavily booked at weekends between now and Christmas.

Cheers, Mark.
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

I spent two nights in a spa villa and really enjoyed the accommodation. I arrived to a lovely hamper of goodies including champers in the fridge. The villa was spacious and had everything i needed with lots of small things thpught of. Spa was fabulous! The only this I can think of that was missing was a stereo - wouldve loved somewhere to play music while having a massage (there wasmusic channels through foxtel). Would definitly return especially if I could get a great deal through wotuf like did this time (mystery deal)

• Stayed September 2012
Mark R, Owner at Hepburn Villas, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thanks for your kind words. It gives me the inspiration to keep improving the property!. Music? I'll have to look i to it. I think the TV's DVD player will play CD's (will have to check) but I'll have to investigate IPod docks etc.
Again thanks!
Hepburn at Hepburn
Hepburn at Hepburn
#1 of 11 in Hepburn Springs
Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country Spa Retreat
Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country ...
#1 of 11 in Hepburn Springs

Been to Hepburn Villas? Share your experiences!