“Charming cottage”
Review of The White House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Daylesford
The White House
Ranked #13 of 23 Daylesford B&B and Inns
“Charming cottage”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a wonderful place to escape to after our wedding. The interior was charming, cosy and interesting, not what you'd usually find at short stay accommodation. We loved every little detail, from the squeeze your own orange juice to the handmade soap in the bathroom. The cottage is also walking distance to the lake and the centre of town. We'll definitely be recommending the White House to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank country_trader
whitehouseAustralia, Owner at The White House, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
so nice to wake up to such lovely comments about the White House. thank you and so very pleased you had a special time away.
it is all the small details I have worked so hard on, in and around the house, all the personal details and special finds also....so wonderful to have them all noticed and mentioned in your notes.
thank you, it was our pleasure to have you as our guests and hope to see you again, perhaps on your 1st anniversary? again?!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was our second stay at the white house (our last was 2 years ago) and it was as fantastic as the first. It is such a cozy place to stay especially on a cold autumn weekend when all the leaves in the area are red, yellow and brown. As mentioned the cottage is an old 1850's miners cottage which has been really tastefully restored (i.e not rebuilt!) and with fantastic lighting, furniture and styling. Its not all mod con's and flawless heating / cooling but you know what, that is what makes the place. My wife and I arrived on a Friday evening just at dusk and it didn't take us long to fire up the pre-set fire, turn on the heating and open a bottle of red wine. The lovely breakfast provisions of bread, oranges, eggs, butter and preserves were wonderful.

Regarding the lack of a shower I actually found having a bath a relaxing treat and that bathroom would be absolutely ruined if one were added.

I think if you are looking for a unique experience and can appreciate the White House for its beauty and charm then you will not be disappointed. I would highly recommend it for a romantic, relaxing weekend (or week!) away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chefspop
whitehouseAustralia, Owner at The White House, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
wow, thank you for such a lovely warm review of the white house. I am so happy to see guests like yourself that appreciate the small details as you have.
the bath was something I planned in hope that instead of a quick shower it would be used to calm and relaxing moment whilst staying at the house. love, that you got it and made the most of it.
thank you again for such a glowing review.
I love my house too and always try to bring new pieces from furniture, to a vintage framed print into the home, so that is changes ever so slightly!
hope to see you again!
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

All the reviewers who are complaining about amenities etc don't seem to understand what the White House is about! It is a beautiful 1850s (I think) cottage! You don't get the Ritz, you get something with charm, character, interesting and special! This is a weekend escape from the city that you will remember for years and years to come.

We stayed there in early Jan during the sweltering Victorian heat and despite not having AC found it extremely pleasant to stay there. It was our first wedding anniversary weekend away and we will definitely be back! Next time I'd like to try winter and stay next to the fire.

PS, I enjoyed juicing the oranges. It was fun.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
whitehouseAustralia, Owner at The White House, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
thank you so much for writing such a lovely response to not only the others that have commented but in general about the house.
YOU get it!! and yes it is a rustic country house filled with charm, including a few cracks in wall, some creaky floor boards and gorgeous hand selected vintage features throughout the house.
I am just so happy you loved it for how and what it is, a restored 1850's house left with all its charm and character.
you must come and stay again and we look forward to making you stay perfect.
thank you for taking the time to write and let us know.
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2011. For a couple of years I had been really interested in staying in this gorgeous house and finally decided to book a weekend away before our baby was due.

Unfortunately it wasn't all it had been cracked up to be. Yes the interiors are amazing, however we encountered the following issues:

1. The kitchen sink had been broken by the previous tenants. The manager was kind enough to pre-warn me of this, however requested we don't get it wet whilst the sealant dries. Um, it's the kitchen sink, how are we not going to get it wet? It ended up being very frustrating as we had planned to cook meals and utilise the amenities. In the end we were making trips to the bathroom and it was very inconvenient.

2. Flies. Flies. AND MORE Flies. It was out of control. And they weren't just regular flies, they were the kind that are big and heavy and chase you around. We went through so much fly spray. And they kept coming, you kill some and more would appear! It was horrible. I raised this with the Manager following our stay and she said it was normal for that time of the year. Mmm.

3. Cleanliness. Although the interior design and styling of this place is lovely in theory, it isn't practical. There is so much 'stuff' everywhere that the cleaner has obviously gotten overwhelmed and allowed it to get dusty.

4. No actual shower, just a hose attached to a free-standing bath. The design of the bathroom is gorgeous, but it's just not practical and water went everywhere when having a shower!

So, the stay wasn't fantastic but Daylesford is lovely and a good spot to base yourself for a few days of exploration in the town and local areas!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank La-Da_Melbourne
whitehouseAustralia, Owner at The White House, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
thank you for letting us know the issues that upset your stay at the white house.
we too were horrified when the sink was broken, we had guests in before your stay and had three hours in between your arrival & their departure, which gave us no time to have it repaired. we actually needed a new one made and were unable to do so in this time.
we were torn between calling you to cancel or allowing you to arrive and hoped that you would understand it was totally out of our control.
we are so sorry and totally understand your inconvenience.
the flies in the country can be just horrible and I have to say at least once or twice a year we have a swarm, simply because it is the country. it is once again just bad timing they were there during the same time as the broken sink.
we are so sorry for the inconvenience you had and hope that if you choose to come back and stay with us, we will make sure we do something special for you.
finally, the bathroom is special and in keeping it special, I did refrain from the traditional shower cube for this bathroom. I realise some people won't love it and I always hoped in having the room so serene and calming that most would choose to have a bath and relax.
once again sorry this was something that was not the most practical for you.
we always try to do our best and look after everyone individually and hope if ever there is a complaint you would let us know when you arrive or during your stay so we can make sure we get everything right for your stay. thank you for letting us know.
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently and had a great time. The decor of the whole house is fantastic, and it is a pleasure just to spend time there relaxing by the fire. It is older style though so would not suit those who prefer every modern amenity. The bed was extremely comfortable and the kitchen well equipped. There is also plenty of seating, blankets (which were needed), etc.

I would definitely go back but in the interests of this review I will note down a few negatives which other travellers may want to be aware of:

There is no separate shower - it is part of the bath which means you have to have a bath each morning to wash. This was fine for us (and in fact we enjoyed it!) but if you were there with another couple I think it would be a real pain. Especially as the only toilet is in there so if someone is taking there time in there, there are no other options for you. Being a romantic retreat, I also thought one of the bigger cast iron baths would be good :)

Firewood - not enough is provided for two nights. Some more would be appreciated.

Breakfast provisions. What we were given was very nice but not very generous. We had five eggs for two of us for two nights so obviously had to go and get more. Some more preserves, etc would also be nice. And leaving oranges to be juiced is a nice theory but too time consuming in reality so some sort of fresh juice would be nice. The bread was delicious. This is again a minor thing but can make a big difference.

The heating was more than enough to heat the main living area (in addition to the fire) but it is pretty noisy. There is no heating in the bedroom and the one we had did not have any power points either so we could not put the portable heater in there. We did use the hot water bottles but again this might not suit everyone. It gets very cold in winter!

Overall a very pleasant experience but as it is not exactly a cheap accommodation option, I think a bit more generosity with the extras like wood and breakfast would be a good idea.

Location is excellent but I would say it is more like a 20-30 min walk to the Farmers Arms and the Sunday market, not 15!

I would go again and would recommend it (but not for more than two at a time, because of the bathroom).

Room Tip: We had the red room with the wallpaper and it was extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ksneddon1
thank you so much for your lovely comments on the house. as always we appreciate the good with any comments to assist us to make your time more special.

we are so sorry there did not seem to be enough wood for your stay, next time you can call me and let me know. usually we leave one huge basket by the fire and ask people to understand it is a feature that goes along with the other heating in the house. the wood is very expensive and sadly some people would go through 3 baskets and have it on day and night. we hope to make everyone comfortable and do our best to make it fair and cosy.

there is in fact heating in the entire house including the bedrooms, we have in fact turned the front bedrooms down, as too many people found it too hot to sleep in. there are power points in all the bedrooms, some are tucked in next to or behind the bed, sorry it was difficult to find and I understand how you must have felt. please call us anytime as once again we would have let you know where to find all of the above and made it so much more comfortable for you.
the breakfast is always just for the first night stay as a complimentary start to your stay. so I can totally understand you thinking it did not quite stretch the full two days. so sorry about this.

once again thank you for your wonderful comments and we so hope you will stay again!
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I recently had the incredible pleasure of staying at the White House for three nights over Christmas and cannot recommend it highly enough. It's possible the only place in which I've stayed where the rooms actually look better in real life than they do on the website. As soon as we walked in the door our jaws dropped as we wandered from room to room, marvelling at the incredible sense of style and the vast array of lovingly displayed precious vintage objects. It's such a special experience to live amongst such a beautiful collection of objects - if you are a lover of vintage collectibles The White House will truly blow your mind.

We cooked a fairly big Christmas lunch in the house and the kitchen is completely up to the task. It's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into making sure guests have everything they need which made preparing our meals easy and enjoyable.

The only improvement I'd suggest is looking at the fans in the bedrooms. It was a little bit warm when we were there and the fab looking vintage fans in the rooms weren't really up to the job, but this was a very minor detail in the grand scheme of things.

If you are looking for a wonderful weekend away with friends and you love the thought of living amongst an amazing collection of vintage collectibles then The White House will definitely not disappoint!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissJudeL
thank you so very much for your beautiful review of the white house.
you truly captured the house and the feel of the special pieces chosen for the house.
we are just so happy you felt this way to write such a wonderful review.

we will take on board your comments re the fans and definitely look into it. being such a collector of vintage pieces it is always hard trying to add something new that perhaps will not fit in with the rustic charm of the house! I am always sourcing old pieces to make it fit in with feel and look of the house.......

thank you for letting us know, we need your comments to help us make it better and more comfortable for all. if we don't hear from you, we can't improve.

thank you again and do hope you will stay again.