“Whatever you do, don't stay here.”

Albert Guest House & Mills Spa Suites
Bali, Indonesia
“Whatever you do, don't stay here.”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I cannot emphasise how bad our experience was. We arrived at 5pm having booked for four nights and paid in advance for two nights. We were informed that our room had been double booked and we would be put up in a different room for the night. We entered that room, tired and weary, and it was filthy, the beds unmade, the bind overflowing and a powerful stench of rotten food. It was fiendishly hot and the air conditioning wasn't on. Even when turned on it didnt' work. We were told by a confused staff member to 'go for a walk' with our two young tired children and return in half an hour and it would be sorted. 2.5 hours later, close to 8pm the room was ready, albeit no proper air conditioning. The next morning we left our luggage by the door so the staff would, as promised, move it into the room we had in fact booked and paid for. We returned at 3pm to discover our room was unserviced, the luggage still by the door and no staff anywhere. We rang the number over and over and spoke to a confused girl who promised to call us back. When 'Michelle' called she said our room had been double booked again,she didn't know why the other room wasn't serviced but not to worry - we could have a dip in a spa if we wanted. My irate husband advised we wished to leave and it was agreed that they would refund us the second night as well as cover the fact we had a lesser room than the one we paid for. Three weeks later and no refund, no apology, no reply to any message. I should add, we drove to the Langham Hotel in Melbourne and at short notice, they gave us a wonderful family room with river views, a bottle of champagne on arrival, exceptional service at the same price as we were charged at this accomodation. We travelled from Perth right around Australia and this was the worst experience out of every place we stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Lberylb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We only stayed overnight at The Albert, but it was a terrible experience. There was no one at reception at any point - a quick phone call to the owners and we were told no one could come to check us in as they were "building beds". I requested an iron and ironing board - was told they deliver one - still waiting... And check out was to drop your key on the reception desk - hardly security conscious when they have your credit card details for damage/theft.
The room was also over-priced - $170 per night - the door scraped the bed as you walk in and the "wardrobe" was a gentle breeze away from falling apart.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Daylesford hotels

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Very cosy, quiet and clean. Service was great. Rooms were nice, character of the building was awesome. Good location, very private and friendly. Rates were very good. Great amenities. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at there on Saturday night as we had a wedding in Daylesford. There was 6 of us (inlcuding 2 couples) and we asked a number of times when we booked that there was at least 2 separate rooms, and two queen beds. We expected something decent for $600 a night.

We get there and all 7 beds (they put in an extra one for some reason) were in the one room (only a 1 room apartment)! We are all work colleagues and it was completely inappropriate for us all to be staying in the one room. One of the couples organised to stay someone else but still paid $200 for nothing, and for $100 each a night ($600 for one night with only one room!!!!) we were extremely let down.

Also, there was absolutely no one around when we arrived and had to call a number of times to organise to get the key.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lucy255346
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at the Albert a few weeks ago in an attempt to just get away from the busy Melbourne lifestyle. Probably should have checked the reviews on trip advisor first because I was sorely disappointed. I probably wouldn't have been so upset if the room rate was half the price that it was, but for 110$ per night, I would expect a higher level of service and quality of facilities.

My first impression of the Albert was poor. No one was at reception at check in, and since my phone had no reception I had no hope of contacting the numbers listed on the sign. I understand that for a small facility constant attendance at reception is difficult, but at any one time when I was there I never saw anyone at the desk. Luckily someone showed up within about ten minutes to take my credit card and drivers license and handed me a room key.

The rooms are downstairs, down a dark corridor. In all honesty, for a solo traveller it was rather creepy, and felt kind of dungeon-like. My room was one with an adjacent bathroom, which was fine, except that at night walking in and out of doors down the dark corridor was creepy as. Also, the walls were paper-thin. The only other travellers I saw there stayed next door to me and I could literally hear every word they said, and I'm sure they could hear everything I did as well. Other than that, I saw no one else in any other area of the hotel, which only added to its creepy nature.

The room itself was tiny, it only just fit the bed and had a small, wardrobe in the corner. The TV was good, although I didn't really use it, and the bed was at least comfortable. However the light fittings were coming out of the roof with wires everywhere, and the window panes were cracked. There was also insufficient fly-wire on the window, so I couldn't open the window without flies coming in. This wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't have to open the window, except at night the heaters seem to automatically get about 10 degrees hotter, with no control to turn them down. It was literally sweltering in there, and it wasn't even a hot night. I just don't understand how an establishment could set the thermostat up that high and not give the guests a control or at least some ability to turn it down! There also was no air-conditioning.

I booked through wotif, and on the website it stated the hotel had wi-fi access (of which there was none, unless my iPhone was lying to me - which it has never done before), and sauna/spa facilities as well as a day spa. There was definitely a day spa but not a sauna or spa in sight, perhaps they were next door at the more modern suites, but I think it's a little misleading to advertise these as part of the whole hotel when only part of it can utilise it. The lack of wi-fi was especially disappointing.

Overall, I was so disappointed with the place that I checked out two days early. In my opinion, this establishment is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. Upon check out I called the two numbers for assistance on my friends phone only to have both go unanswered.

Additionally, the breakfast facilities cannot be called continental, all that was offered was half a loaf of bread for all guests, tea/coffee sachets and one cereal option (all bran). It really was an unwelcoming place and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Seriously, pay an extra few dollars and find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mrdavey_12
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Was an all round relaxing and enjoyful stay, Thanks to Rebecca and her friendly staff were on hand to greet our group of 10 friends all mothers from the parents and friends committee of our childrens primary school. As we entered the Heritage listed hotel, I was made to feel a comfort of old history with the luxury of new lasting memories, the staff on hand were quick to resolve any questions or queries the many of us had all in a row. Was great to be treated with that extra personal service often not found in commercialised hotel establishments. The only downfall of this property are the negative reviews that may or may not have happened, I found trip advisor and found THE ALBERT nothing like the negative reviews, i read before I made our booking. Thanks to the friendly staff at the front desk we were able to add an extra 4 day spa treatments to coincide with the 5 treatments already reserved upon making reservations for us ladies, at no extra cost for last minute treatments we were made to feel relaxed and comfortable and not made to feel awkward nor made to feel that we were a burden by asking for extra day spa treatments on the spot. Definately will revisit Daylesford just to stay at The Albert, might even take the hubby next time. Thank you once again Rebecca and the staff, also the many therapists that were on call and were part of what made mine and my friends an experience to remember.

Room Tip: Great choice for a large group booking as we were able to have the rooms adjoining to one another, m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sasha p
vic
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I loved it from start to finish we were welcomed by not only Rebecca though others, so I can't see what others say as it was really good.
We had a really nice room at the albert very cosy with such a good real, from the little extra bits and pieces are nice not to have to pay. The spa is wonderful I had such a wonderful massage and wife had supberb facial she says, not too hot or cold not over done with frills though nicely presented, and the whole time we were their all we sore was Rebecca running around working, which pays as I read the guests comments on site and their was nothing but very nice things to say, with nearly all saying to return, when we saw some of the things being said we thought to also share our experience as I know myself when i'm happy I feel content and don't feel the need to have to share, though upset, well tell the world!
Well for the price, location, service it was plenty more than expected and usually get so we definently reccommend it and would go back any time.
A hiden treasure.

Room Tip: Must also Do the DAY SPA!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tremendousplastering
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daylesford
Central Springs Inn
#3 of 5 in Hepburn Springs
Daylesford Royal Hotel
Daylesford Royal Hotel
#2 of 23 in Daylesford

Been to Albert Guest House & Mills Spa Suites? Share your experiences!