“ALL ROUND RELAXING AND ENJOYFUL STAY HAD BY US ALL!!!”

Albert Guest House & Mills Spa Suites
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Was an all round relaxing and enjoyful stay, Thanks to Rebecca and her friendly staff were on hand to greet our group of 10 friends all mothers from the parents and friends committee of our childrens primary school. As we entered the Heritage listed hotel, I was made to feel a comfort of old history with the luxury of new lasting memories, the staff on hand were quick to resolve any questions or queries the many of us had all in a row. Was great to be treated with that extra personal service often not found in commercialised hotel establishments. The only downfall of this property are the negative reviews that may or may not have happened, I found trip advisor and found THE ALBERT nothing like the negative reviews, i read before I made our booking. Thanks to the friendly staff at the front desk we were able to add an extra 4 day spa treatments to coincide with the 5 treatments already reserved upon making reservations for us ladies, at no extra cost for last minute treatments we were made to feel relaxed and comfortable and not made to feel awkward nor made to feel that we were a burden by asking for extra day spa treatments on the spot. Definately will revisit Daylesford just to stay at The Albert, might even take the hubby next time. Thank you once again Rebecca and the staff, also the many therapists that were on call and were part of what made mine and my friends an experience to remember.

Room Tip: Great choice for a large group booking as we were able to have the rooms adjoining to one another, m...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sasha p

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I loved it from start to finish we were welcomed by not only Rebecca though others, so I can't see what others say as it was really good.
We had a really nice room at the albert very cosy with such a good real, from the little extra bits and pieces are nice not to have to pay. The spa is wonderful I had such a wonderful massage and wife had supberb facial she says, not too hot or cold not over done with frills though nicely presented, and the whole time we were their all we sore was Rebecca running around working, which pays as I read the guests comments on site and their was nothing but very nice things to say, with nearly all saying to return, when we saw some of the things being said we thought to also share our experience as I know myself when i'm happy I feel content and don't feel the need to have to share, though upset, well tell the world!
Well for the price, location, service it was plenty more than expected and usually get so we definently reccommend it and would go back any time.
A hiden treasure.

Room Tip: Must also Do the DAY SPA!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tremendousplastering
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had planned a romantic weekend away, and are so dissapointed that the poor service ruined our stay.

We called to say we were arriving at 2pm, arrived and noone was there. Called Rebecca and she said she was on her way. Waited in freezing front room of hotel for 45minutes, called again. Said she was 5min away. Arrived, told us room we had booked had no electricity, and only had a non spa room. Offered no discount or compensation until asked. We would have gone elswhere if everywhere else wasn't already booked.

Given that our spa wasn't working, we requested use of the facility spa. This was prepared and offered, but the spa intake plastic was broken, and sucked my finger into it, lacerating it.

We would have told someone to complain, but for the next 24 hours not a person to be seen.

The location is great. The service is appalling, the spa and the facilities are cheap and second rate. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joliscious
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Well after reading just the last couple of reviews I was a little worried as we had already booked, though actually I think they must just be the windging and wanting everything for nothing type, as the place looks the same as in the photos, a really cheap price for the facilitiles and space, not to mention along with other places in Daylesford, for what we got here we would have got half at a few different places for only $50 less, a lot less space, facilities or inclusions.
On arriving it was late we picked up the keys from where they had been left for us with a nice greeting letter, a nice change compared to turning up after hours and not being able to get in regardless.
We entered to a really nice toasty apartment, nice ambiance from lamps for us, our surprise that was included was a nice bottle of wine and sea salts for the spa, only 2 nights, the one we had looked quiet modern, with wat seemed to be quiet exspensive furnishings and art pieces, after a long drive it was bed, very comfy, it had a nice foam top and perfect doonar we had the best sleep it wasn't to firm nor too soft just right I think for pretty much any one, honestly one of the best beds I have slept in especially for accommodation, and I travel a lot for work so I have slept in over 1000 beds.
We slept in as the blinds in the bedroom blocked the light perfectly, very well rested in comfort.
On our way to breakfast past reception it must have been tea break as there were 4 staff very friendly and accommodating, it was like we had just caught up with old friends they were so welcoming and genuine in their comments and questions, nice to see from usualy stiffness, no personality answer for everything and your just a number.
So off to a good start and it just continued throughout our stay, we enjoyed our selves thouroughly from the things we had in our apartment we could do all the things you would need to do whilst here other than washing which isn't for 2 nights, we only paid $160 per night for comfortable accommodation, very personalized and idividual from the usual identical rooms you stay in, it is advertised as it is we had everything it said it had from the iron and ironing board, and all the rest, I'm not sure why some others have been so harsh to say the things they have when it's self contained apartments, like you would expect to be prepared and if you did notice that something needed was a miss I would simply just ask, I have owned my own business and for a small one it is harder you don't have the same funds or man power though for the size you are actually dealing with more.
I would definently stay any time and i do definently recommend it, as you can see they are doing such a lot and putting in a lot of effort time for us.
For accommodation that you are just staying in and not buying or live in I don't see why people are so negative to such a good establishment, for the offers they do with the more than just comfortable and average accommodation, I was so pleased, I would understand if something went wrong with the water and it wasn't being resolved you would be picky though unless you stay in an international hotel with hundreds or rooms and staff, and are only paying cheap base rates that you would even expect waited on service with reception attended 24/7 and expect that should they need to step out that it is anything other than acceptable, is rediculous when I have stayed at the lake house and paid 5 times more for less and still after certain hours or for moments the reception is un-attended is I think rediculous.
So why not take a look at majority of the reviews and see for your self as it's only their side, I'm glad I did as now I have a good central place that has spectacular massage with rooms that can even do 3 at a time, quiet spacious and very professional looking with a gorgeous historic twist being historic not sterile, really relaxing I got off the bed feeling very lite and satisfied, a lot less tension even days later.
It has a nice charm about it while a nice country though professional feel with warm, beauty a lot of individuality which was nice.
I would like to thank Rebecca and Sally for all the recommendations, and making us feel like wanted and welcomed back any time.
See you soon girls. Thank You

Room Tip: Definently stay and ask to fit your needs, so many options and great apckages to save $$$$
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dilemma7
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The customer service to simply make a booking to this place is awful.

I made a phone reservation with Rebecca and didn’t receive a confirmation email. After a few days, I left several times voicemails (over the course of a few days) asking for someone to call me back.

Eventually Rebecca called back. She offered a lame excuse for why the booking hadn’t been put through (she said she had been in Melbourne for a few days and wasn’t near a computer apparently – really?). She said she’d put the booking through that day.

Three days later – nothing! I called again (and again had to leave several voicemails as no one seems to answer during business hours). No one called back. A day later I received an email confirmation – for the wrong room!

I called, left a voicemail and no one called me back. I called again and actually managed to speak with Rebecca this time. She said she was in Melbourne and would call me back the following day to discuss the booking. She didn’t call back.

The next day, I left a voicemail cancelling the booking and sent an email as well. I sincerely hope I don’t get charged for this booking, but who knows? No one’s called or emailed to confirm the cancellation.

I have never experienced customer service this bad when it comes to booking a hotel. My partner and I are keen to support local tourism, so we might head up to the Barrier Reef instead!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

He called me at work on the Friday to say ‘surprise, I booked us a weekend away’! I immediately jumped on the Albert Guest House & Mills Spa Suites website eager to take a look. A website is just like your receptionist – a first impression.

My first impressions were marred by spelling and grammatical errors amongst numerous extended sentences. The furniture and decor also appeared to be quite confused. This screamed a lack of attention to detail and little pride in presentation or perception of their image.

We pulled up out the front at 2.30pm, perplexed as to where exactly to park. The gravel drive with a deep gutter alongside, just wider than a car width would be far from ideal for a less confident driver with poor eyesight. My fiancé then went to check-in only to return moments later with an envelope with his name on it. The envelope contained our room key for suite #4 and a welcome letter. I raised my eyebrows and said ‘what do you mean there’s no one at reception’?

We grabbed our bags and with as much positive anticipation as I could muster went into our suite and at that moment my fears were confirmed.

- Cracked glass in the ceiling
- No breakfast
- An exposed unconnected sprinkler system
- As the bathroom sink is located right behind the door, when I pushed the door open
it nearly came back and smacked me in the head
- The shower looked like it should belong on a 40ft yacht
- I noticed that spa bath will not fit two adults and did not even make an attempt
- The toilet roll holder was free standing, allowing it to topple over
- The towel rack, also free standing was located right beside the toilet (always put the
lid down before you flush people) btw, no hand towel
- Blind in the front window was see through at night
- The vanity mirror in the bathroom was situated as such, that I could see my breasts
and down. I would have to bend down or go into the main bedroom to apply makeup
or do my hair.

By now my fiancé was becoming increasingly frustrated with my gentle negative suggestions that things were not quite up to scratch. He makes an attempt to change the mood by informing me that he has booked a massage/facial package for the two of us – wow, there is a silver lining! I go to get ready and as I’d packed in such a rush my clothes were less than presentable – not a problem, I’ll give them a quick iron. I can find an iron but no ironing board!

Yes that’s right, we are now arguing.... I never once suggested that I blamed him and stressed that he wasn’t to know but he couldn’t see it any other way. If we had paid say, $160 I would expect this level of quality.

We arrive at our massage barley speaking – so much for a relaxing time! There is no staff around still, so we start completing the treatment paperwork. Rebecca greets us and genuinely apologises for the delay and says that they are running late and it would be a little while longer. We got taken in for our treatments as the last clients for the day about 20mins late.

The treatment room is so small that the 2 massage tables need to be angled within the room. Due to the lack of space, things were being dropped and table legs were being tripped over and shaken – not relaxing. As no one was still at reception, Rebecca had to attend it once, leaving my fiancés massage for 3 - 4mins with nothing happening. She did apologise upon her return.

Whilst we were having our facials, Rebecca and the other staff member were washing up what I thought to be all of the hot rocks, bowls and utensils from the entire day in a sink right at my head using a high pressure tap – again, not relaxing ladies.

Come bedtime, I had no idea that bed mattresses were still sprung! Our mattress at home was better than this. The establishment boasts a leather bed, which I did not care for, I would have preferred the money to have been better spent on the quality of the mattress. If you are particular about your pillow, take your own! The foam ones provided are like bricks.

A heavy sleeper, I am all of a sudden woken at 1.44am, why? The 2 women staying in the suite next door have just come home. Wow, I can hear them talking, laughing, walking and showering, as they also have a noisy how water system. As we are now both awake and unable to sleep we put the TV on. The noise next door continues for the next 1 and a half hours.

At 3.30am the 2 women finally go to bed so we turn the TV off and try to go back to sleep. It then starts to rain which is perfectly fine but after the down pour, there is trickling and dripping water. We turned on the light to check the walls and floor, as it seemed to be right behind our heads. It was in fact the PVC pipe that is located on the ceiling, coming into the room and then at a right angle goes out into the wall space. Now enter a possum landing heavily onto the roof and within seconds is scratching within the wall cavity for the next 10mins.

We woke at 6.50am because the room was so light (there were blinds that we didn’t notice) and both with sore backs from the bed. Of course when we had to check out Rebecca was at reception to take our $700 (350 room & 350 2.5hr Spa package).

We couldn't wait to get out of there, it felt like we never had a massage and by 10.15am we were driving around Daylesford/Hepburn Springs looking for another establishment for next time.

I wish I had an opportunity to read all of these other reviews before we booked :((

Room Tip: I seriously doubt that there is a 'good' room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank auchta
Reviewed July 26, 2012

If your definition of 'en suite bathroom' is a bathroom within or connected to the main bedroom, then be warned. I booked the queen room with 'en suite bathroom' a couple of months ago thinking that we were getting a room with a bathroom in it (as the pictures indicated) only to arrive and find that our tiny little bedroom had no bathroom. The 'en suite bathroom' was actually a private bathroom for us, but it was down the hall and around the corner from our room! The information provided on wotif.com as well as the hotel's website is very misleading, as are the photos. No where does it states that the ensuite private bathroom is not actually attached to the room. Also, the queen room was to have a fan and a mini bar - neither of which were in the room. I imagine that the mini bar was somewhere else in the hotel.....

We complained about the room, particuarly since we were there for a wedding and would have liked to have had a bathroom to get ready in without having to trapse past guests and staff going in and out of the day spa. The staff were nice enough, after our complaint, to give us some bathrobes and were were moved to a studio room on the 2nd night which I was thankful for. If you can spend the money - book the studio rooms, they are lovely. Don't bother with the breakfast though...

Room Tip: The studio apartments are lovely, the hotel rooms are small and often lacking bathrooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daylesford
Hotel Frangos
Bellinzona Grange
Bellinzona Grange
#3 of 5 in Hepburn Springs
Daylesford Central Motor Inn

Been to Albert Guest House & Mills Spa Suites? Share your experiences!