“Resplendent, Relaxing, Rewarding”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Cove
Inn of the Lost Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shelter Cove
Reviewed January 24, 2009

My wife and I traveled with friends to Shelter Cove's Inn of the Lost Coast for an extended weekend. Unlike much of the North Coast, the weather was sunny and clear our entire stay and the spectacular coastline is unsurpassed.
Our suite included, Jacuzzi hot tub overlooking the ocean, in-room sauna, fire place, king size bed, refrigerator, and microwave. No need to leave the room, if you just want to relax, enjoy the amenities and lounge in, the Inn provided, comfy terry bathrobes on your private balcony with a panoramic view of the coastline.
We had a wonderful walk on the black sands beach which is situated at the southern end of California's Lost Coast Wilderness. The airstrip and 9-hole golf course are within walking distance of the Inn and there is a fire pit on the expansive deck that sits outside of the Inn and overlooks the ocean.
All in all, our experience was five-star. The suite, the owners, the staff, the weather, the scenery all contributed to a very relaxing and rewarding weekend. Great place for a romantic getaway. I would highly recommend it anyone.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MrDickster

Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband is a private pilot and we rent planes in the bay area for weekend trips. My in laws had given us a gift certificate to the Inn of the Lost Coast, so we headed up on short notice when there was good weather. The landing strip is right on the water and you can walk to the Inn from the north side of the runway where there is parking.

We stayed one night in a standard room which was $150 per night. Overall, I was impressed with the room which had a comfortable king bed, gorgeous oceanfront view, gas fireplace, and kitchenette. As this was not a suite, the bathroom was small but who cares when you can watch the sunset from the oceanfront hot tub just steps from your room?

The Inn is very accomodating to pilots with a courtesy van to drive locally. You know it is a small town when the clerk tells you to take the van anytime you need it, the keys are in the ignition. We went to the Shelter Cove general store and bought some champagne and breakfast items.

The view from our room was so spectacular we didn't want to leave so ordered pizza from the hotel which was good. There is also a beautiful black sand beach within walking distance of the hotel.

Overall, it was a wonderful stay and made even better by the fact that it is only a 1.5 hour flight from San Francisco. If you're a pilot it's a definite must!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank smark02
Reviewed February 19, 2008

All that my predecessors said about the hotel (and the luxury rooms in special) is true.
It has amazing views from the hot tub (directly at the window) and the bed itself (waking up and seeing the ocean...). The sauna (like a wooden cube within the room) seems fairly new and works well (calculate some time to pre-heat). The beds are nice and big and soft. The fireplace is a gas fireplace. We never used the kitchenette, but it was all there, microwave, fridge, coffee machine, etc... The double headed shower is indeed fun for two persons showering together (no sharing ;-) ) or one single person (no constant turning around to keep heat balanced). We have not tried any of the breakfast or pizza/coffeeplace options in the hotel. The balconies are semi-private, as one can peak over/around the walls easily and see the neighbours in their hot tub - not so nice! They should do something about it. Because who wants to draw the curtains if there is the ocean outside to be admired...
The overall cleanliness was ok, though not sufficient for the price (250,- a night, 10% off with AAA membership). Found a fingernail on the kitchen floor and cigarette ashes on the balcony floor outside. Our used wine glasses were not cleaned/exchanged by the maid. Sheets and bathroom and hot tub were spotless, though. Service at the reception desk fairly friendly, though not overly warm - guess they have a bit of a rougher way up there... Recommendations for The Grove Restaurant, half a mile away: good food and nice local musicians playing ocasionally. Very sweet: Lyle and Marylin from The Mendocino Tea House, also same direction, opposite from The Grove. This elderly couple is maintaining this european style tea house 3 days a week, with yummie self-baked scones and self-made tea-sandwiches, and an exceptional good selection of teas from all over the world - worth a try, especially on more grey and foggy weekends. A treat!
All in all - I think that for 250 a night the cleanliness could have been better and I would have appreciated some small shampoo and conditioner samples - I expected this kind of place to offer these to their guests, and I did not bring my own. The management could pay a little more attention to the details (e.g. fresh flowers were already well beyond their peak) and thus enhance the whole atmosphere and feel of the Inn. Currently it seemed a bit average.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KatziPutzi
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Shelter Cove is, indeed, an odd little place in ways - isolated, insulated from the general population, and remote. If shopping and events are your "thing' then Shelter Cove may leave you wanting. Also, if easy long walks on a cushy sand beach are what you're looking for then again, this may not be your ideal destination. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly however! There are tidepools right in Shelter Cove for exploring, seals to watch, etc. and a short drive takes you to the Black Sand Beach, though you do have to walk a longish road to get down to it, though that wasn't too bad. The black sand, however, is more like pebbles, and it isn't easy on the feet. I had to keep my sandals on for beachwalking, a first. It IS beautiful and clean though. The waves, for most of the beach, come up close to the cliffside, so there is only a thin stretch of 'beach' to roam. If you're wanting to build sandcastles and frolic in the waves, again, this is not your ideal kind of beach.

We stayed at the Inn of the Lost Coast, in a luxury suite, with jacuzzi AND an infrared sauna inside the room. A gas fireplace and private deck added to our enjoyment. We liked the room so much that we actually looked forward to going there and just hanging out during the day, it was a very nice room. The view off the balcony is spectacular and at night the view is lit. I couldn't decide if I preferred that or a deep blackness that would've made the stars even brighter, but I think I must've liked the view because I was constantly drawn to the balcony. My only complaint about the room is I wished the balcony were a little more private. If next door "neighbors" were also standing at the railing we could see each other, but I can't say it ever created a problem, just a surprise when I went out there in my (provided) robe first thing in the morning with my hair a fright and looked over and saw someone doing the same thing. We both jumped back immediately! But, if you stay back from the railing it is private. I don't know if the other guest were just extremely quiet or what, but we never heard a peep through the walls, the place seems well insulated.

There is a coffee cafe right downstairs so I would scamper down in the mornings, get our lattes and bagels, and we would enjoy them on the deck. Also, there is a gourmet pizza place in the building which we unfortunately never got the chance to try. We were in search of local, fresh seafood. There were two restaurants available, plus a deli in "town". Across from the Inn is the Chart Room. I would recommend it for lunch maybe, then eat dinner at The Cove in "town." We ate at the Cove the first night, had fresh caught Snapper, cooked perfectly. All the food there looked good, with a good wine selection. The next night we had dinner at the Chart Room, ordered nearly the same thing, but what a disappointing difference! The fish, even though locally available, was flown in from elsewhere and wasn't fresh-tasting, and was overcooked. My clam chowder tasted exactly like Progresso, while at the other restaurant, The Cove, it was obviously unique and homemade. The staff at both places were welcoming and nice though. We had lunch at the deli in "town" - fish and chips on the big deck. It was good, but again the fish was not local so it was nothing special. But we enjoyed the ambience of the local fishing scene happening around us as we ate. There is an airstrip in town and all day planes come and go, which was actually rather interesting and not intrusive as you might think.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of Shelter Cove. There is a plethora of new houses built right on the ocean front. To us they lacked the typical charm of a sea village and looked too big and garish and out of place, painted in bright pastels. Most of them appeared unoccupied.

There is not a real grocery store anywhere nearby, so if you plan on using the kitchen in your motel room you will have to bring food in if you want meat, fruit or vegetables.

We wouldn't hesitate to go back, if only to hang out in our lovely room at the Inn of the Lost Coast again!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank invalsal
Reviewed August 12, 2007

This inn has two buildings. One appears to be a new one with very expensive rooms (and what other people are talking about, with spa tubs and such). The other appears to be an older one (with only *somewhat* expensive rooms) that appears to be an old generic motel building that's been renovated. The new building was full, so we were in the old one. It was renovated moderately nicely, but it was nothing special, and when the people upstairs walked around or ran water you could hear it loudly in our room. The room was overpriced for what it was. The one great part was sitting on the balcony - the building is on the edge of a sea cliff with very scenic rocks below, and it was wonderful to lounge on the balcony watching the sea birds and listening to the waves crashing against the rocks. Still, I'd probably try one of the other oceanfront places in town if I were to go back.
Some of the staff are pretty clueless, so if the person at the front desk is no help, try again some other time and maybe you'll find someone else there...

• Stayed: August 2007
7  Thank nniko
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night on Saturday the 28th of July before heading to a concert at Konacti Harbor Resort on Sunday.(see review) We booked a Deluxe Ocean Suite w/ Jacuzzi & Sauna for $250 p/night. It is a long, curvey, two lane highway drive from US Hwy 101 to the Inn. Beautiful though, through the redwood forest. The Inn was small, and quaint with locals and tourist alike chatting outside the Inn upon our arrival (mostly locals). There is some kind of pizza/pasta/espresso place on the property which closed before we left for dinner at 8:00pm. I described the Inn as a little weird because the lower units of the Inn appear to be living quarter's for some? We weren't sure but it seemed like some people were living there rather than visiting tourists. A little strange. Another side note, no one we interacted with at the Inn or local establishments were particularly friendly. We seemed like the tolerated tourists who visit their town on the weekends. The views of the Pacific were stunning as usual. The room itself: Being seasoned luxury hotel stayers, I was impressed by the room. The jacuzzi is inside the room, in a corner nook over looking the ocean. Floor to celeing windows and sliding glass door with a large patio & table & chair setup. The sauna appeared brand new & worked well, although a little confusing to work the digital panel. Small bathroom but we loved the dual shower heads! Even the Ritz doesn't have those. Bathroom fixtures & amenities were of average in nature, no granite/marble or anything fancy like that. Robes, jacuzzi salts, and a fireplace were nice touches. No phone in your room. TV, DVD & VCR in the room, and a kitchenette with refridgerator, micro, sink & coffee maker. You have to keep all your hall facing window shades closed or the whole Inn will be staring in your room. If this Inn was located in a more welcoming location we would definately go back. But to be honest the cold shoulder we got from everyone we met was a major turn off. We ate at the Cove Rest. a short 5 minute drive and ate Steak & Lobster for around 150. A little pricey for the quality but all in all ok. This included wine and coffee, no desert. Breathtaking view made it worth it. Maybe we will try this Inn again in 10 years or so, see if time catches up with folks there. In the meantime there are plenty of other beautiful places on the pacific coast to visit who are more than happy to greet us and our money with a smile and a thank you! (:

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hawaiiluv
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Shelter Cove and the Inn of the Lost Coast is a magical place. The rooms have all the comforts one needs and a view that is like none other. Mesmerizing and serene is the cove, and the Innkeepers have thought of everything to make the stay in the cove memorable. Love the hot tub and sauna after a day of exploring and beachcombing. I can hardly wait to go back. Thanks for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank DJCapek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelter Cove
Benbow Historic Inn
Benbow Historic Inn
#1 of 5 in Garberville
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn
Best Western Plus Humboldt House Inn

Been to Inn of the Lost Coast? Share your experiences!