“An Absolute Gem”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelter Cove
Inn of the Lost Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shelter Cove
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is one of the finest establishments I have ever stayed in. Besides being perched directly above the Pacific Ocean with an incredible view of the Lost Coast mountains, this beautiful hotel has a wonderful ambiance that gave me the ultimate in a restful and relaxing vacation. I came here with my dog although if I had a girlfriend this would be the ultimate in a romantic getaway. The pizza place and breakfast restaurant on site are great too. Given the price and location I don't know if there's a finer hotel.

Room Tip: My room had a jacuzzi and sauna in it which added to the amazing experience.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Cyrus0007

Reviewed July 21, 2014

If this hotel were located by the side of a highway somewhere, it would be nothing special. But because of the unobstructed view of the rocky shore, it's something very special. Do get here with plenty of time to spare before sunset - you want to be relaxing somewhere when the nightly show begins. The drive from 101 is quite nice, but leave time. It takes about 45 minutes. We spent an hour or two hiking on the beach in the morning and that was time really well spent. Just keep your eyes on the tides, because parts of the hike can't be done at high tide.

Room Tip: Either of the corner rooms on the 3rd floor are likely to be the nicest views you've ever had fr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richierichierich
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I arrived at the Inn of the Lost Coast just before sunset and was met by some of the most stunning views I have ever seen! The Inn sits on the edge of a cliff looking straight out to the Pacific, if you come for nothing else make sure its the views. Make time to arrive before the reception closes because the innkeepers are very welcoming and informative, they ensure that you're settled and happy and are very knowledgeable about the area. The rooms are large and are equipped with everything you could need, every balcony has awesome views but the best part were the beds. These beds are so comfortable that it feels like sleeping in your own bed at home! Wish I could have stayed here longer!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Phoebe M
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We visited friends in Whitethorn in July, and we reserved a room at the Inn of the Lost Coast for two nights. The ocean view was spectacular when it was not foggy, the room was clean, attractive, and comfortable. We did not bring food with us, but the pizza we ordered from the pizza place was just fine. I have one rather small complaint, and it might not be something that bothers other people. I think a fabric softener had been used on the sheets and towels. This had a fragrance I did not care for (but I am not allergic) and it seemed to make the towels not very absorbent. It was hard to get dry after a shower and hard to dry the dishes so I could put them away; the towels just pushed the water around. Aside from that, everything was fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaryTraveler2
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have stayed there twice in the past year. I am pretty familiar with the California coast and cannot think of a hotel that has a better ocean view from its rooms. The hotel sits on a cliff right above the crashing surf. The view of the uninhabited coastline to the north is spectacular. The rooms are reasonably priced, clean, comfortable and they allow pets.
As others have noted, the drive from Hwy 101 to Shelter Cove is a bit challenging. The locals know it like the back of their hands and come flying through. Fortunately, there a plenty of turn-outs and once I managed to swallow my pride and allow folks to pass the drive wasn’t so bad. The reward when you reach the coast makes it well worth the effort.

One caveat: If you are coming down the coast from the north, double-check your GPS directions. Mine took me down a long dirt road better suited for 4-wheel drive vehicles (which I did not have). If I had checked I would have known to go on the paved road a little to the south.

My only complaint about the area is that there are not many places to eat. There used to be an Italian restaurant across the road from the inn, but it recently closed-down. There is a pizza place next to the hotel office which is quite good, and a coffee shop on the ground floor. Other than that the choices are limited which could be a problem on a longer stay.

Nevertheless, if you are exploring California’s northern coast, you really should check this place out.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank GoldenBears
Reviewed June 23, 2014

If you drive all the way to Shelter Cove to just look and leave, you may think that there isn’t much there but the view. But, if you stay over night, the magic of the crashing waves and ocean breezes will lull you into loving the area. It reminds me of Beach Loop Drive in Bandon, Oregon. Staying for a few days here with a Jacuzzi in your room and a sauna is a great luxury and worth the long, winding, kind of treacherous road. Make sure you have a full gas tank and good brakes. 25 miles takes about an hour to trevail. Pull over for speeding locals. The room had all the luxuries: Large HD TV w/ dvd player, gas fireplace, small jacuzzi (Not really big enough for 2, unless you’re tiny) looks out at the waves. The fluffy robes were a nice touch. kitchenette with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, sink. tile bathroom w/ combo shower/tub. private balcony with comfy patio chairs overlooking the ocean with the cliffs below. The cliffs are lighted by the hotel with spot lights for a few hours each evening. Breathtaking view. The room was pleasant, but heavily scented with Febreze odor remover. These days, since everyone has allergies, they should at least use the unscented version If they think it helps cover the dampness. Even the sheets, bedspread, pillows, etc were so saturated that I had to wash anything that touched those surfaces when I got home. The walls are fairly thin, so you do hear the neighbor’s shower, etc. Mostly the sound of the waves covers that. Otherwise, this was a delightful stay with many thoughtful and helpful touches. Pet friendly, On site Pizza Parlor with Ice Cream and Baked goods. Coffee shop that opens at 7 am. Close drive / long walk to Black Sand (gravel) Beach.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HumboldtAdvisor
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife & I stayed here in June, following a drive up Highway 1; we hadn't reckoned on the last 20 miles to Shelter Cove !
When we arrived, our hosts were very welcoming. Once we got to the room, we just sat on the deck and watched the Pacific Ocean and a spectacular sunset - wow !
We got good pizza from Delgado's, no complaints - it's just a shame that such a stunning location doesn't have an eat in restaurant.
For escapists, this really felt like getting away from everything.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Humboldt House Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville

Been to Inn of the Lost Coast? Share your experiences!