“A great place to relax”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelter Cove
Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove
Ranked #1 of 3 Shelter Cove B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2012

From the easy reservation process to making dinner reservations at our favorite restaurant to a great CLEAN place to stay and awesome views you cannot go wrong with this place. My wife and I have traveled this Country from Hawaii to Maryland and this place tops all. This place was not only clean and comfortable but also had all of the accommodation of home from the full size fridge to the utensils necessary and the view from the balcony was amazing as we watched the sunset. The only other thing that we needed was more time to enjoy the views and comfort.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Thank goodness we stayed more than one night-- we had never been to Shelter Cove before and enjoyed our two-night stay at this great Inn.We were lucky with perfect weather, too.I am glad we brought food (and wine) with us because the tiny town has limited dining options. The fish and chips( at the deli ) were wonderful! The locals were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We had a non-jacuzzi room, which I prefer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here, over Labor Day weekend, for our 5th anniversary. We were looking for a place to comfortably relax and get 'off the grid' for a little while; the Shelter Cove Inn fit the bill beautifully. The rooms are a great mix of luxury type amenities with a very rustic, 'off-the-beaten-path' location. We were a bit sad when we had to return to the real world (as it were). Richard and Margaret are also extremely accommodating and friendly hosts!

The in room kitchens are generously equipped for those who wish to do their own cooking. I'd generally recommend this if you're staying for any length of time; there are a couple of good, local restaurants, but choices are understandably limited in such a small community. You're also best off buying your food before getting to Shelter Cove. I think there's a small general store, but I suspect it's probably a bit pricey with limited selection. There's some larger stores in the Redway/Garberville area, but I have to say that those seemed a bit pricey as well (at least compared to CO standards). If one flies into one of the Bay Area airports, it might be interesting to check food prices in some of the more populated areas closer to the Bay Area.

We've definitely added this to our short list of places we'd like to go back to on future "romantic getaway" type trips!

I could also comment, at length, on some of the outdoor types of activities available in the Shelter Cove/King Range area, but I digress... ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dolphin room, but all of the rooms look quite nice. My impression is that the two u...
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our family of 6 was vacationing in Northern CA and as I planned our trip I stumbled across the Lost Coast and knew we had to make time to visit. My husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary during the trip, so we decided this beautiful inn was the perfect place! Richard and Margaret were very accomodating, giving our teen boys the room next door to ours. They were thrilled to have their "own place!" And we enjoyed having some privacy during our 10-day vacation! We stayed in the Dolphin and Spyglass suites, and they are as beautiful and clean as they look in the photos! They were well designed and had all the extras- a kitchen equipped with everything needed to put together a meal; coffee, teas, hot cocoa and chocolates; the jacuzzi with a beautiful ocean view; the large tv/dvd with plenty of channels to watch; soft towels in the bathrooms; a beautifully decorated bedroom; the living room with a pull-out couch, fireplace and plenty of room for lounging around! The walk-out patio was a private serene place to enjoy the breathtaking ocean view! Nearby beaches to walk to and explore were enjoyed by all. And Richard and Margaret were so inviting, hospitable, and genuinely friendly and caring people who were interested in getting to know our family! I would love to go back and celebrate another milestone! Definitely an unforgettable memory!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was our 6th or 7th time there, we've lost count. Every time we feel like being pampered, we head to SCI. It is a true home away from home for us, and we are getting attached to the place....Richard and Margaret are wonderful hosts! The suites are located on a natural bluff above the ocean, where the deer call it a playground, the quail come to visit, and the quiet is welcome. The pelicans soar on the bluff and slowly pass by....amazing. The jacuzzi tubs overlook the ocean, and the TV can be swiveled so you can watch a movie while soaking! There's a 2.5 mile loop around the town that is an invigorating walk or jog in the morning. Bring a book and relax--- Lounge chairs are provided on the patio, and there are full kitchen amenities. Just bring your food and wine...though there is a grocery store closeby that stocks quite a bit. Richard lets you use his BBQ on the main level, so you can grill and then eat on your own patio. It's our favorite place, hands down. I'm already trying to figure out our next date to go. If you fly a private plane, this is the place to go...airport is about a mile from the hotel, and Richard will pick you up. It doesn't get much better than this. Many many thanks to such great hosts and now our friends.

Room Tip: All 4 suites are ocean view, 2 w/ balconies, 2 with patio decks. 3 have jacuzzi tubs, all have fire...
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If EVER you want a place to get away and relax, Shelter Cove is the place and the Shelter Cove Inn is the place to stay. As you can see I marked the pool as excellent, what better pool than the whole ocean out in front of you. You have everything you could ever want in a place to stay, but most of all the noise level is next to zero, except for the ocean. Location is perfect and the owners are not owners, they are like old friends. I have stayed in places from Alaska to Mexico and points east and this Inn is the best of them all. I am 66 years old and have NEVER written a review before, but felt I must, because of the quality of people and the quality of the Inn itself.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 480Mel_W
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon, four nights of which we spent at the lovely, peaceful and charming Shelter Cove Inn. My only regret was not spending our entire honeymoon there. We stayed in the Spyglass Suite. It was very luxurious, complete with a gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub and a very nice kitchen. Hosts Richard and Margaret were wonderful people who were always available to answer questions, get us extra towels or whatever we needed. If you are looking for a very serene, peaceful and quiet getaway on the North Coast, this is the place. The weather is generally much better in Shelter Cove than in Mendocino. The views from our suite were breathtaking. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Spyglass is the best room according to the owners.
3  Thank Matthew D
#1 of 1 in Garberville
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway

Been to Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove? Share your experiences!