The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn
BestWestern.com
$131
$104
Agoda.com
The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel(Fortuna)(Great Value!)
$99
Super 8 Fortuna(Fortuna)(Great Value!)
$102
$117
Agoda.com
Redwood Suites(Ferndale)(Great Value!)
$120
Inn of the Lost Coast(Shelter Cove)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsroom was cleanhidden gemnext morninglost coastsea lionsthird floorroad leadingcall aheadtv channelsdog treatsonsite restaurantthe property managergeneral storepizza placebreathtaking viewsoff seasonon the rocks
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for a wedding. We had a regular room that had a small kitchenette with dishes and a sink. It also had a nice balcony to sit on. The bed wasent as comfortable as we would've liked, but it you get one id the suites, as some id the other guests had, the beds are great! The suites also have a huge jucuzzi tub, sauna, fireplace, and a larger bathroom and kitchenette area. I would stay again, but id get a suite.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank liltxgrl4e
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Shelter Cove is worth the drive across beautiful, but winding hill roads. A quiet village with spectacular scenery. The hotel was super, really friendly check in, the room was large, comfortable, very well equipped and the view from the balcony was mind blowing. A very good dinner, pleasantly served, with the same stunning views. I suggest you ignore the advice to use the Deli for breakfast, go to the Espresso Gallery at the Inn of the Lost Coast instead, lovely people and very good snacks/coffee/ bakery

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Friends had recommended this place and it was everything and more than they had described. Yes it is difficult to get to, but that's why its called " The lost coast" and I would imagine what keeps its pristine beauty intact.
I had made a reservation a week before and Phil the manager had warned me that the restaurant on the property was closed on Mondays. I arrived on Sunday evening and went to eat at 6pm and the place was packed! The smells of fresh fish grilling was mouth watering and I was only able to get a seat at the bar, and decided to settle for a bowl of clam chowder and garlic bread with a glass of wine.....perfect!! However I would still like to eat there, especially the lobster tail which looked wonderful. There was an entertainer but the noise level was too high to hear her, but everyone was having such a good time, no one cared.
I had room 302 which was amazing....I wish I could have stayed for a week....I went to sleep to the sounds of crashing waves and surf and slept like a log to wake to a beautiful sunrise. Heaven!! I was so entranced with the oceanfront to the North, the black beaches and sheer beauty I didn't even find the cove to the South until the end of the 2nd day. Here was why its called Shelter Cove! The beach at the bottom of a steep ramp was packed with cars boats and surfers, taking advantage of the gorgeous weather.
There is a Deli at the top of the ramp that was fixing the best looking fish and chips, that people were eating out on the large deck in front, but there are warnings everywhere about the aggressive seagulls stealing your food. Unfortunately they stopped serving at 5pm and that was a little too early for dinner.
If you have AT&T there is no reception in the Cove and my laptop wouldn't work in the room for some reason, but Phil the manager very kindly let me use it in the office to let friends know I had arrived safely.
Can't wait to return to this beautiful spot and the warm hospitality of the Oceanfront Inn.

Room Tip: The third floor is where to be.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DevonshireDanaPoint
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Recently stayed here one night. A bit out of our way but the location is stunning. The room was huge, very comfortable and clean. The balcony was great over looking the ocean. Even though we had a foggy evening, the view was spectacular. Enjoyed dinner at the restaurant - excellent meal.

Room Tip: Third floor had fantastic views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sue P
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent one night at the Oceanfront Inn on a recent 4 wheel drive trip while most of our group opted to camp nearby. This was our second time staying here. The room was clean, the small balcony was private and the sunset was spectacular. Check-in was easy and the manager pleasant. We stayed in room 302 this time, and thought the view was nicer than the view from 201 where we stayed last time. Shelter Cove is a very sleepy little town with hardly any amenities, so if you want something, be sure to pack it in! There is limited cell service, so this is definitely the place to "get away from it all". Things tend to be pricey here, because it is so far off the beaten path, gas was $.50 more a gallon here than it was in Fort Bragg and a regular deli sandwich was $8. We did eat at the restaurant downstairs on our last visit and it was very good. I recommend visiting Black Sand Beach if you come here. You should be aware there is no ice machine, and there is no blow dryer in the room. We had to meet our group of jeepers at 9am so there was no opportunity to ask the office for a blow dryer in the morning (they open at nine). If you go and need a blow dryer, ask at check-in. There is ice available from the restaurant, but only during dinner hours. We have stayed at another motel nearby, and prefer this one.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the stairs, the third floor has the best views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends