“RV-stop halfway of the Icefields Parkway”

David Thompson Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nordegg
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Although it takes an extra 45 km from Saskatchewan Crossing, this is one of the only serviced campgrounds around. The Campground is "dated", yet has all facilities required. Sites are pull-through in a forested area. Sites are quite close to one another, yet in September the campground is not too crowded. Accomodations are older, yet provide what one might need when being fully hooked up. There are special "group sites", one of which was used for a holiday party while we were staying. Yet, the campground rules were followed, so there was no noise at all. At the entry of the campground, several facilities are provided: shop, laundrette, restaurant. In the morning, one can opt for a breakfast being prepared for you (to be paid).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We came for the playground. It was just as spectacular as I remembered (I'd stayed here 20 years ago!). We arrived on the Tuesday after the September long weekend, and pretty much had the place to ourselves. We have tents, and I have to say that this campground is definitely more suited to RVs and trailers. The unserviced sites were basically a gravel RV pad; grass, or even natural groundcover would've been preferable. I was worried about getting holes in my ThermaRest from the gravel poking through the tent bottom, but so far it seems okay.

Outhouses were nasty. They really should have cleaned them after the long weekend. Instead, the staff seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time moving picnic tables around. On the positive side, garbages and recycling bins were clearly emptied after the long weekend.

We did not have a restful sleep, despite the fact that the campground was practically empty. This was due to the fact that the campground staff had a very loud generator running ALL NIGHT. It was in a building close to the restaurant/stores, and we were in row 8, so quite a distance away. A staff member fired it up in the late afternoon, and other than a brief stop around 8:30pm, it ran all night. It sounded like a truck running right by our campsite. It was awful, and I have no idea what made them think this was a good idea. I can't imagine that they do that every night?? Or is it so loud at this campground during peak season maybe people don't hear it? Regardless, we will not be staying here again. Appalling disregard for visitor comfort and enjoyment. Price was incredibly high for the privilege of listening to a generator all night: $60 for 2 children and 2 adults in two small tents.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank lindsaydu
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Over priced for what you get. The rooms badly need renovations. You can hear everything. The only good thing was the rooms looked clean. Anything you purchase at the resort is over priced like the five dollar bag of ice or the four dollar chocolate milk.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Rodney221
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We just spent 5 days here and had a wonderful time!!! We joined some friends who raved about the east coast festival and are sooo glad we came!!! If u are looking for a 5 star motel and campsite then go to banff!! The showers were great, hot and only a toonie! Campsites are a little rocky and unlevel, suck it up! The staff were fantastic!!! The festival was one of best I've been to! Superb entertainment all weekend!( can't remember when I last danced so much!) and the lobster dinner on Saturday night..... Yummmmmmm!! It was a perfect weekend!! I can't wait to go back next year!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I recently got married at David Thompson Resort, It was amazing. The staff were excellent to deal with, they answered all my questions, never left me hanging. I love the fact that the owners are there everyday cooking breakfast for their customers. All staff including the owners have an awesome personality always joking around and just down to earth real people to talk to. We rented the cabin. WOW! it has everything that you need, you almost think that there was none else around you, you are off in a corner and have your own little escape from reality. I also loved the fact that there was no cell service out there, it forced everyone to communicate with everyone, It was great to see the teenagers talking:) Overall we had over 75 people camp/motel it there and all of them enjoyed their experience. It was a great day and I thank all the staff at David Thompson Resort for all that they have done. I have even recommended David Thompson Resort to a few of my friends that are planning a wedding or family reunion.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have literally spent hundreds of nights tenting, but this was the worst spot I've ever been. Like myself, you may be tempted to stay at this campsite due to the limited shower facilities in the area. It was definitely not worth it - jump in a lake, a river or drive somewhere else, but do not camp here:

1. The campsites are cramped and generally not flat - especially bad for tenting
2. The "resort" is not near the lake and you cannot see it from the campground
3. I booked 2 months in advance and paid the extra $10 reservation fee only to be placed right next to the resort generator that runs 24/7, while half the campsite was empty. It was so bad we left at 4am to get some sleep somewhere else. I contacted the management later and they were unwilling to issue a refund. Apparently I should have let them know I was unhappy with the spot at 4am when nobody was at the office (we tried).

Bottom line - don't waste your time or money here. You'll just be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank PFV2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at DTR Motel during the August long weekend for two nights.

The Room:

We booked a king bed room. When we first got to the room it looked simple. We were not expecting much but were a bit underwhelmed with the room itself. The room amenities included a tube TV (with 4 "working" channels), a bed, lamps, chest of drawers and some chairs. The bathroom was a bit nicer.

However, a couple of hours after arriving at the room we noticed there were small flies all around the sink. We thought nothing of it and washed them away. An hour later we found hundreds of these flies on the floor and sink area. Front desk was prompt in sending someone in to deal with it and allowed us to switch to another room upstairs.

The second room was similar to the first in terms of amenities but felt "nicer" than the first. There were still flies under the sink but they were dead.

The bed was comfortable and even with no AC, the fan kept the room at a pleasant temperature.

Our one major complaint is that there are no refrigeration units in the rooms. So be prepared to keep your beverages cold with the bags of free ice provided by the front desk.

The Resort:

There are no land lines in the rooms and there is no cell phone service at this resort. So be ready to disconnect for a few days. There is WiFi available for 15 or 30 minute increments for a fee. But be aware that the rooms on the far side of the motel are not in range so you'll need to be closer to the office if you require internet.

As previously mentioned, motel guests are given free bags of ice as needed.

The Restaurant:

We had dinner at the restaurant twice and had the breakfast buffet once.

Both times we ate dinner we were very impressed. We had the pork chops and fried chicken one night (the fired chicken was incredible!) and home-made pizza the second night. The portions are large and you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, without having fridges in the rooms you cannot take a doggie bag for the next day.

The breakfast buffet was delicious. It had everything from the menu at a great price. No complaints about it.

We also went to the "Cowboy Breakfast" that is in the campgrounds. It was very good except that no substitutions can be made (We asked for extra bacon instead of eggs and this was not allowed - so you might end up paying $12 for pancakes and bacon.)

Location:

Gorgeous! Right in the middle of the Rockies, it is very quiet and you wake up to a beautiful view no matter what room you are in. The resort is near a lake which is beautiful! If you are looking to "get away from it all" - we would recommend this place.

The Staff:

Super friendly. Very helpful. Check in and check out was a breeze.

Would we come back?

Yes. With a large cooler in tow. And maybe a can of raid for the room flies.

Room Tip: Check above the lights in the bathroom when you get to your room. This is where the flies were comin...