David Thompson Resort
The Crossing Resort(Banff National Park)
$101
  • Restaurant
Chinook Inn(Rocky Mountain House)(Great Value!)
$75
$67
Travelocity
Tamarack Motor Inn(Rocky Mountain House)(Great Value!)
$71
$68
Hotels.com
Walking Eagle Inn & Lodge(Rocky Mountain House)
$87
$80
Rocky Inn Express(Rocky Mountain House)(Great Value!)
$86
Canalta Rocky Mountain House(Rocky Mountain House)
$109
$118
$110
The House Motel(Rocky Mountain House)
$77
All reviewscowboy breakfastfull servicebeautiful locationconvenience storehorseback ridingmusic festivalgreat weekendold schoolbacondtrjaspercabingasreunionliquorpathrockies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 11, 2012

It's a shame when people generalize from small evidence and blow their limited experience up into something big. If customer service isn't up to your expectations you have two choices. Leave. Or figure out how to help very busy people working there, help you. Being respectful rather than demanding. Expressing appreciation rather than grumbling about offense, can transform a "no" into a "yes," as staff get a chance to consider the whole picture.

The Jacks523 comments are completely out of line with the experience of so many others who were there at the same time. The staff are good people and they were doing their best with the hundreds of people who were staying there while being short-staffed thanks to an employee who quit on the eve of the weekend apparently. The resort was completely full and you have to know that this is tough on those working there since it's a special weekend.

Our group stayed at David Thompson Resort at the same time as Jacks523 and found it delightful. The campground had plenty of trees that provided some screening for campsites. Situated on the bluff overlooking the glacial Abraham Lake,inspiring Nature is only a few steps away. The sky is dark, awash in stars. There was even an Aurora Borealis one night..

If there were guests or staff who were using pot on the premises, Jacks523 could have reported it. It's a large site and management can't be everywhere all the time. People who want to find something wrong always can, but that says more about them than who they are pointing at. Seeing mice out of doors and then thinking that you see a mouse in a restaurant doesn't add up to mice poop in the guest rooms. Friends of ours found the rooms quite adequate.and I heard no complaints about sanitary conditions.

If some of the motel rooms haven't been remodeled - think funky and rustic. They'll be cheaper and perhaps affordable to those who couldn't stay there otherwise. .

Room Tip: Be kind and generous and you'll get the best they've got.
6  Thank Chickadeetweets
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Rustic log cabin first night, motel next two, tent night four, my favourite is the log cabins. No matter no running water, such a 'back to nature' wonderful feeling as the hailstorm hit but we were warm and cosy by the propane fire. Motel rooms are fine, motel rooms. Camping was wonderful, right in there with so many friends, all together, sharing wood, sharing meals, sharing walks to the delicious lake that received us for long walks round the perimiter, but only short dips into its waters. The blue of this lake, where DTR sits, is unforgettable and will imprint on your heart forever. Only thing better is a massive fire, made by friends at the campsite's shared firepit that had the rangers worried. We weren't. One of my favourite places in Alberta.

Room Tip: go for the cabins.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marina M
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I camped for three days at the David Thompson Resort. It was a great, quiet, and picturesque location with clean and well managed services. Wonderful hike nearby at Coral Creek Trail. Super location for group camping and reconnecting with nature. Light winds keep the mosquitos away. Enjoy!

2  Thank Rosanne M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I camped here as part of a group event at David Thompson Resort the 2012 Labour Day weekend and LOVED it! Our group even got a huge central fire round where we so very much enjoyed ourselves in addition to the spacious green and white meeting tent where our gatherings were held.

The layout of the campground is beautiful and woodsy, with relative privacy and well-maintained facilities for showers and an appropriate sprinkling of privys. Great water for drinking. People in our group sometimes clustered their campsites together for easier sharing of food and fellowship. There are great play facilities for the children and many beautiful places to walk. The resort sits on a bluff overlooking Lake Abraham, a blue glacial meltwater lake created by the building of Bighorn dam in 1972 on the North Saskatchewan River. The sheer rock faces of surrounding mountains cradle this lovely place, creating a sense of quiet and majesty.

The motel is a bit of a trip back in time but serves those that want to sleep indoors. And there are 4 cozy rustic cabins and 1 full-service cabin as well. What counts is that the location, the out-of-doors and the owners and support staff are really there for you. A wonderful family and group experience.

Room Tip: It's about the cabins, camping, the majestic location, the good people and the quiet.
1  Thank BonneyVoyage
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We will start with the wonderful...

1. What an amazing area. The mountains are amazing and the colour of that lake is spectacular.

2. The hikes in the area where outstanding. I climbed stelfox and the view from the top was the best I have seen.

Now on to the not so wonderful...

Your resort completely ruins the area. It is so run down (needs some major updates). It is not private at all (you can tell there has been trees cut down as there are random stumps throughout the campground). The motel is VERY outdated. The resort is infested with mice, I am surprised that your restaraunt hasnt been shut down by health and safety. Your staff talk about stuff in the back of the office loud enough that customers can hear in the front. The staff do drugs and are loud and disrespectful.

To now go into detail with this...

1. Run down: The motel is rundown. Some rooms you can tell by looking in are renovated but those are only half the rooms. Some rooms the windows open, some dont. If you leave the door open the bugs and mice go into the room. So unless you are happy with having mice poo in all your clothes then great but other than that you will die of heat and no air circulation because there are also no fans or ac. I asked someone at the front desk if I could borrow a fan for while I had a nap after climbing Stelfox, my response was... 'We dont have fans here' When I said I see one sitting on the chair not being used the response then was 'Well we have fans but we dont just give them to customers' EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN A WINDOW DOESNT OPEN!!!

2. Privacy: Also had some friends up in the campground so I was lucky enough to see how crappythe campground is. We where told they where fairly private and level sites when booking. How is it considered private sites when there are maybe 2 trees separating the campsites. If there werent so many trees cut down up there maybe it would be a bit nicer. There are tree stumps randomly in the middle of campsites.

3. Infested with mice: My first night I was on the payphone by the mini golf and for a 20 minutes I was on the phone at least 6 mice ran past me. I ate breakfast in the restaraunt in the morning and again I saw a mouse running through the restaraunt right into the kitchen. I told the person serving. There was a young lady and an older lady and I talked to the older lady who said 'Nope we dont have mice here' Again EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I couldnt even finish eating my food because that is unsanitary. How hasnt health and safety shut you down yet?

4. I was in the office on 2 different occasions over the weekend where I heard the staff in the back talking about stuff loud enough that I could hear in the front of the office about stuff that was likely not for me to hear. One time was a lady saying how irresponsible, pathetic and disrespectful is was for someone to quit and screw them over on a long weekend. That now she had to be in the office in the morning for the start of her shift and to help someone close at night because they are 'useless and cant do it themselves' I really dont think that is a good way to talk about your staff. And whoever it is who quit good for them, I hope they werent there for very long.

The second time was the same ladies voice saying 'This cult is driving me insane and they will never come here again' You have a cult there or a group that your ignorant enough to call a cult?

5. Staff and Drugs: I was walking down the hill from the campground between the motel and the staff housing area and saw 3 people standing by the side door in the dark smoking pot. It stunk and they just laughed as I walked by. Second time I was walking down the same hill and could smell pot from the staff house area again and could just hear a pile of noise on the other side so clearly they where partying. I just personally dont think smoking pot in an area where customers are walking around is a very good idea.

I just think if you are ok with going somewhere infested with mice, where the staff are allowed to do drugs and the place is not maintained then this is the place for you. If your not interested in mice poo on your stuff and not interested in your children being around a place of drugs and alcohol then Id say camp down the road at one of the pulloffs since that would be much more family oriented.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at this place specifically ask for a room where the windows open.
16  Thank Jacks523
David R, Owner at David Thompson Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

We received a copy of this gentleman’s complaint via email and as we had no registered guest under his name we asked him to please provide us with further details in order for us to follow up on his grievances. We did not receive any further reply and it is unfortunate that instead of providing us with some additional information about his stay here (if in fact he did stay here), or coming to us with his concerns while here, he has decided to post his comments online.
We do not wish to be involved in such vicious mud-slinging so we will only briefly address a few of his points.
First, we receive regular, unannounced inspections from the Health Board and have never failed. This is true of both our restaurant and our accommodations.
Second, all of our motel rooms have windows that open above the doors to provide some degree of air circulation. There are certainly rooms whose windows do not open, however these rooms all have ceiling fans so we’re not really sure where this gentleman could have stayed if he had neither windows that opened or a fan in his room. As for mice, they only get in if the doors are left open…as in most wilderness areas.
Third, the trees being cut in our campground were the result of a Spring windstorm and were left stumped as there was not enough time to dig them up before the season opened.
Next, to the best of our knowledge we are the only resort in the Canadian Rockies with a strict no tolerance policy toward illegal drugs. In the 18 years we have owned the resort, we have endeavored to hire drug-free staff and the suggestion that the staff here were consuming marijuana is both offensive and insulting. We stand behind our staff and are able to say with absolute certainty that the noise issues we experienced on the weekend in question did NOT originate in our staff house.
Further, the management of the resort very much enjoyed having our guests here over the long weekend and this gentleman’s comments regarding the back room chatter that he supposedly overheard are defamatory. There were no issues with any of our other guests over this weekend and we certainly would have welcomed the opportunity to address this reviewer’s observations directly. As a previous reviewer suggested, any time they had a concern or request it was addressed immediately.
We understand that not everyone will enjoy their stay here at our rustic mountain resort, however it seems in this case that this particular gentleman has some sort of axe to grind. We appreciate his comments, however misguided or vicious they may be, and find comfort in the fact that we have hundreds of returning customers year after year who seem to enjoy their stays with us.