David Thompson Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Crossing Resort(Banff National Park)
  • Restaurant
Chinook Inn(Rocky Mountain House)
View Hotel
Tamarack Motor Inn(Rocky Mountain House)
View Hotel
Walking Eagle Inn & Lodge(Rocky Mountain House)
View Hotel
Rocky Inn Express(Rocky Mountain House)
View Hotel
All reviewscowboy breakfastfull servicebeautiful locationconvenience storehorseback ridingmusic festivalgreat weekendold schoolbacondtrjaspercabingasreunionliquorpathrockies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just recently spent five nights tenting at David Thompson Resort. It was lovely!!! I absolutely cannot wait to return next summer!

If you like to hike, there are GORGEOUS trails in the area, within 10-20 minute drive in the area. Even trails right around the campground and across the highway if you can't or don't want to drive! If you like to mountain bike, same thing. Crescent Falls, only about 15 minutes east of DTR is one of my favorite places. Just follow up to where the sign points and drive a short 6kms down the dirt road to a roaring falls with hiking all around and views to die for. In the other direction, the Siffleur Falls trail offers a lovely, albeit somewhat steep, hike to another spectacular falls. While we had a stroller for our two year old, we could only make it to the first tier of the falls, I was quite overwhelmed by the location.

There is almost no cell service, no wi-fi, and the campground is older but very clean. They have full hookups for RV's and plenty of space for tenters. The campsites are generously sized and long. It's perfect for the family who simply wants to get away from the city and technology! The owners of DTR are amazing and very friendly, always up for a chat. The Cowboy Breakfast is wonderful! They have a large size (2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon <though I never only received two> and an option for homemade beans!), small size (half of the large) and a "Moose pancakes" (pancakes and a piece of bacon) for the youngest kids. It was very quiet, and they take care to make sure that the resort stands up to their family standards, even with two weddings booked at the resort that weekend.

The playgrounds are old and full of equipment you would never see in the city anymore, but will bring back memories of your own childhood. I cannot tell you how many people I spoke to who said they'd been to DTR and had played on the giant rocket ship 30 years ago and had fabulous memories of the area! One of the playgrounds, further into the campground, has an old boat (really old boat), an old ATV and really unique horses made out of old tires. A fabulous way to recycle old equipment instead of throwing it out! My three kids, 8, 5 and 2, all had a blast!

The mountains surrounding the Resort are beautiful and a wonderful thing to wake up to every morning and watch fade into the night. DTR is tucked right across the highway from Stelfox mountain. The area surrounding DTR is rich with history and is worth the exploration! My husband bought a fabulous book called "The David Thompson Highway: A hiking guide" speaks about the history of the area, why certain places were named as they were and detailed descriptions of the hikes, including distance, approximate times and the condition of the trails themselves. We found that some of the descriptions were somewhat outdated (the book was written in 1995) but still very helpful and a great guide to the area!

I would HIGHLY recommend this wonderful spot, in the Rocky mountains, only 45 minutes from the Columbia Icefields in Jasper park, but without the extra cost of staying in the park. Reasonably priced, clean and fun, DTR offers many wonderful opportunities for making great family memories, if you're willing to take the drive!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank HikingMommy
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Picture majestic Rocky Mountains, a full service resort with plenty of RV pull through serviced sites, a motel, a gift store, variety store (with liquor) a restaurant, and facilities including trails, a great kids playground. For adults the park is remarkably quiet and the owners Ron and Wendy fix a mean cowboy breakfast in a pavilion decorated with cowboy boots! The resort is very well situated west of Red Deer by 2 hours and a short drive to the Ice Fields Parkway and the Jasper and Banff National Parks ( a bit over an hour). The eastern Rocky Wilderness area is every bit as exciting as the national parks- mountains, hiking, and great photos. The resort near Nordegg ( old coal mining town) on Highway 11 - David Thompson Highway is an A++ location to experience the Rocky Mountain wilderness. Riding stables a short walk across the road and Ice Field helicopters just up the road.

Room Tip: sites away from washrooms have less traffic
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank travellingsinclairs
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a review for an Unserviced Campsite @ David Thompson Resort.

The Good

Location - Amazing Location. Just a short 5 minute walk downhill to Abraham Lake. Various trails and hikes throughout the area where the views are breathtaking.

Convenient - They have a shop on site where you are able to pickup food / ice / camping items. The prices are high but understandable given the remoteness and the fact they run this location off a generator.

Most Staff - Very polite and friendly.

The Bad

Campsites - We had two campsites and they were not at all private and not at all equal. One site had plenty of room to fit our 10 person tent and the next one we ended up pitching a 3 person tent next to some trash bins as there was no other place cleared for a tent. It would have been nice to see gravel pads or at the very least cleared / raked areas to put a tent at all locations. Bring a rake to clear your own campsite if you want to be comfortable...

The fire pits that are provided do not come with grill covers to cook on which while seemingly trival is a standard at most paid sites. They did sell grill covers at the on site store, however, you would do better to buy one at Canadian Tire beforehand and save yourself 20 dollars.

Plumbed Washrooms - Not clean but not filthy. For a campground of this size with outhouses as poorly maintained as they were they could use stand to invest in a expanding these. Bring your own TP and Hand Sanitizer.

The Ugly

Outhouses - Oh My... I better just tell this how it is so people can be prepared. The outhouses were clearly not emptied or cleaned regularly as the waste in most of them was piled WELL beyond the chemical line. The outhouses seemed to be owned by the campsite and they did have a septic truck on site to empty them. Though I understand it must not be a fun job SOMEONE has to do it if you are going to have them at all. Absolutly Vile - We perservered but it seemed like many of the campers prefered to head out into the woods or drive to the one set of plumbed facilities on the grounds. These outhouses were also not stocked regularly ( at all ? ) so make sure to bring your own TP / Hand Sanitizer.

Garbage Bins - This is Bear Country. The garbage bins were very close < 10 feet from some campsites and not at all bearproof...or emptied. It seemed that site staff would drive around at the end of the day and spray air freshener into the bins and carry on their way even when the bins were spilling over. Unsafe practice at best, nightmarewaiting to happen at worst.

Parties - This site seems to be marketed as family friendly with quiet times 'enforced' starting at 11PM. Not the case during our 3 night stay on the grounds. Parties and Music loud enough to deny sleep unitl 3-5AM was basically the norm. We had tried to complain serveral times but all complaints were brushed off as 'deal with it'. Easy to say when you have private cabins to stay in I guess. To be clear I am PERFECTLY ok with a certain amount of camp noise, it is to be expected at the best of places. But this was way beyond resonable and the fact that the ownership did nothing made this a HUGE downer on our visit.

The Frustrating

Owners - I have read through a bunch of reviews for this location and read mixed reviews on this topic. Maybe it is a case of catching them at the right time of day... We found them extremely rude and uncaring from our couple run-ins with them. Seemed like a case of they already had our money and it was non-refundable so 'whatever'. I am sure it is overwhelming to run such a large operation out in the middle of nowhere and the complaints and customers must get tiresome at times. But as a business owner that is what you have signed up for.

As the owners of this place your top priority should be to see that your location is maintained and the rules are follwed to allow for the family experience you seem to be going for. A good start would be to ensure paid site staff are following through with tasks such as cleaning outhouses / garbage bins. And having your regular golf cart patrols of the sites extend past 11 and ensure the staff are actually enforcing the rules instead of just cruising around on auto pilot.

The Other Bits

Paid Showers - 1$ for 1.5 minutes 2$ for 4 minutes. Wake up early ( 6am) or expect hour + waits.

Lumber - Sold onsite @ $10.50 per bundle. You are allowed to bring in your own and at these prices...you should. Otherwise budget at least 21$ per night for firewood.

Ice - 1$ / Pound - 5$ / bag

2L Bottle of Soda - 5$

The Conclusion

We will not return to this location to relax and I would not recommend it as a family stop. If you are looking for a place with beautiful views and easy access down to the lake where you can party all night with access to showers and some sort of washroom it might be your stop.

And because I see that the site has attempted to discount other negative reviews by accusing the reviewer of being disgruntled ex-staff - I want to be clear - that this is my best attempt at a constuctive and unbiased review as a someone that camps as many weekends of the summer as possible rain or shine. I have never worked for or been associated in any way with anyone at this site. And to be honest the fact DTR has a Trip Advisor account where they attempt to discount and devalue customers negative experiences instead of a simply apology and attempting to make it right in the future...says enough on it's own.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
17  Thank Intrinsicd3k
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this resort. The first time we stayed in the hotel. The rooms were extremely out dated. We ha payed for three days and our Meals were included. One morning I wasn't feeling great so I asked my boyfriend to bringe back breakfast. He broughty wrist band and yet the woman at the restaurant refused to let him bring me food. My father stayed in the ro beside me and had to shower in my room due to the fact that his shower only had a trickle of water. The second time I came we stayed in the group camp site. We could barely fit our tent and truck in our site and our camp fire were these rectangular boxes sitting in the bush. Too dangerous to use. It was mentioned to the office and they said they would fix it but it was never fixed. One of the nights they catered us a supper. When one of us went back for supper and asked for more potatoes it was replied with a very rude response of " well does it look like there are more potatoes...no. You can have corn". The showers were dirty with overflowing Toilettes and the out houses were atrocious. You are better off going in the bush. The mountains are beautiful and they take advantage of that fact. For the amount of money paid and money they make it should be updated and clean. I would rather camp on the side of the river than waste my money here

• Stayed: August 2012
12  Thank Jesse3369
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a family-oriented campground. That is so well-maintained, you will never see staff standing still. One example of this is Holly. We forgot our bedding for an RV that we rented. She had a set up in 20 minutes and drove everything that we needed up to our site. Including a couple bundles of firewood we bought. The next day she relayed an important message. It was from a family member trying to get a
hold of us. It was not an emergency but it was important. Employees like Holly. In this beautiful setting, make it hard to pack up and go back to the city. Thank you Holly and David Thompson staff. PS if you've never had a client river shooter ....

• Stayed: August 2012