“Pampered!”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reviewed April 30, 2010

The staff at Alexander house give you first class service as soon as you arrive. The location is peaceful and is set in immaculate surroundings. For each guest that has never been to the hotel before, you are given a guided tour, so you are fully aware of each area of the hotel.
The room I was in was in the old part of the building. I have to say, the room was outstanding - it was in it's own little area and I have never stayed in a hotel where I wasn't woken by other guests, lifts, doors slamming or chambermaids!
The food was delicious and although the wine was pricey, you could tell you were drinking a decent bottle of wine!
The therapists were professional and treated each guest as an individual. The cards they hand you regarding the products they have used, was a good idea - but there was no hard sell & the products were reasonably priced.
I would recommend booking treatments in advance to ensure you get what you require. There is a quiet room where you can sit and read or sleep after treatments but with large groups, this can get quite noisy.
The changing rooms have an attendant in them ensuring this is clean & tidy and the water facilities ie jacuzzi, pool etc can cater for a number of people.
I only wished I could have stayed for longer!!

• Stayed: March 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (2,244)

Reviewed April 30, 2010

We stayed at the Alexander House Hotel for two nights from 5th-7th April. It was a special treat to ourselves to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we weren't disappointed. On arrival we were welcomed by the very friendly concierge and given a tour of the hotel and grounds before being shown to our room 'Elm', which was located in the new part of the hotel, overlooking the garden and hot tub. The room was one of the nicest we have ever stayed in, absolutely spotless and beautifully furnished. The bathroom was huge with a roll-top bath, walk in shower and double basins. There was also a very nice selection of toiletries, bathrobes and slippers. After a lovely afternoon enjoying the spa (and especially the hot tub) we sampled champagne in the bar by the roaring log fire and then dined in Reflections restaurant. The quality of both food and wine was excellent and staff were very attentive. After dinner, our waiter (Ashley, I think?) asked if we would like to take coffee in the library - we really did feel like the Lord and Lady of the Manor! Our second day was just as enjoyable as the first - spoilt only by the fact that the hot tub was undergoing maintenance and was closed for the remainder of our stay. The hotel is a little pricey, especially for drinks, but we had expected this and you really do 'get what you pay for'. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We stayed at the hotel on the flyaway package prior to jetting off to Cuba on the 4th April.We were looking for a hotel that would add to our whole holiday experience , not too close to Gatwick and yet offered something a little different from the larger chain hotels.We were impressed with the level of attention received before we even checked in .I had received an email from the Management within days prior to our arrival looking forward to us staying and re confirming our reservation and providing directions.
We were not disappointed.The staff were very courteous and offered to help in any way.
The room was smaller than expected ;compact and comfortable .We ate in the Grill restaurant .The food was average but the service and attention was very good.
We were the first to arrive for breakfast and we helped ourselves to fruit juice etc.We waited a while for our breakfast serving,my partner had ordered haddock which was for no apparent reason delayed .
I had arranged with the reception on arrival for a taxi to collect us and take us to the airport .This arrived promptly .
On the whole a fabulous hotel and would definitely stay again ,the staff are a credit to the hotel,our only regret was not having used more of the facilities ,particularly the Spa as we arrived too late to take advantage

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Alexander House Hotel as a treat for her birthday. We were warmly met and given a guided tour of the hotel, before being shown to our room (Bay), which overlooked the garden. The room was luxurious and contained everything we required for a very enjoyable stay. We enjoyed the spa facilities, but were disappointed that the water in the pool and outdoor hot tub was too cold. Food for our evening meal and breakfast in The Brasserie Restaurant was great with a good selection. We would thoroughly recommend the hotel and look forward to staying with you again in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Alexander Hotel for a 40th birthday treat. It ticked all the required boxes; a luxury hotel where we could feel special, pampered and have a relaxing time for just the two of us. From the moment we arrived the staff were very helpful and provided a service beyond any other hotel that we have stayed in previously. We had a room in the original part of the hotel which was prefect for us as we love all the old features and quirks!! The spa itself had everything that you could ask for and once again the staff were incredibly helpful. The 2 night stay at the hotel seemed so much more of a break due to the relaxing nature of the hotel and most importantly the attitude of the staff. We long to go back again!!

Reviewed April 20, 2010

I've written this review based on my expectations. I booked this hotel for a one night’s stay for my boyfriend’s birthday. I phoned reservations 10 days before and the lady told us that as we were within 14 days of booking, we would be able to get the discounted rate. Great! She told us that they were busy on the date we wanted and so they only had Suites available at a reduced rate of £185. I decided to wait until nearer the date and I phoned again 2 days before. I spoke to a Stephanie this time and she said there was loads of availability and a Classic Room would be £210. Either they had a massive cancellation or they were trying to sell off their most expensive rooms first... I questioned about the discounted rate and it was only then that she said we could have it at £99 room only. She also asked whether it was for a particular occasion. This is purely for their market research purposes so don’t expect a “Happy Birthday” from the reception team on arrival.

At check-in, we were asked what time we would like dinner. We had not mentioned at all that we would be having dinner at the hotel, the receptionist just made the assumption, so it would be better if they could ask whether we would like to have dinner in the restaurant. We didn’t.

We had the Edinburgh room which was lovely and exceeded our expectations for a Classic room. Apart from a couple of carpet stains, the room looked newly refurbished and the bathroom was luxurious, with double sinks, walk in shower and a roll-top bath. The views were not great, on one side was of the air con pipes, the other was of the staff smoking shelter. We noticed that there were lots of ladybirds in the bathroom, in fact we counted six. There was also one fly. More on that later...

We used the gym first and it was excellent. We were the only people using it and it was fully equipped and had large windows with lovely views.

We then used the spa and pool area and although lovely, we both felt it was too dark for comfort. There were only 3 other people using them. We also used the outside hot-tub which was gorgeous even in the drizzle. The locker room was good and it was lovely to see showers large enough to hang your clothes without getting them wet.

We returned to our room and found an additional 4 ladybirds (so 10 in total) and another 3 flies (4 in total). Also the CD with relaxing music was totally scratched and not working properly. We packed our bags and asked Reception for another room. They gave us the Devonshire room which had a dodgy lock to start with but after calling the manager to fix, it was working fine. The room was smaller and not as luxurious, so it was a bit disappointing given the inconvenience, but at least there were no flies and the views were much better of the monkey puzzle tree. The bed was gorgeous and we had a good night's sleep.

We asked whether we could have complimentary breakfast due to the inconvenience and the Manager agreed to this. Breakfast was disappointing. The buffet choice was limited and there were no tongs for the self-service toast grill so we had to be careful not to burn our fingers. The cooked breakfast was even worse, the bacon was dry and hard and the scrambled eggs were salty and had a skin! Definitely not made to order. There were only 2 other tables taken so they were hardly rushed off their feet.

Wi-fi is very limited. We were able to get google and the weather but no other websites that we tried.

Lastly the relaxation room was disppointing compared to other spas. There was no relaxing music, no dimmed lighting, no scented candles. It sounds harsh but it felt like a doctors waiting room with loungers.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
jowenWestSussex, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us however I was surprised to read your comments about Ladybirds in the Edinburgh bedroom and I have already taken steps with our maintenance team to prevent a similar occurrence.
I have noted your comments with regards to breakfast and discussed these with our new breakfast supervisor who like me was very disappointed, as earlier this month our independent mystery shopper audit had returned a score of 94% for this service.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Alexander House Hotel in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen

Reviewed April 7, 2010

I stayed recently with my husband for an overnight spa break having visited last summer for the first time. The hotel is very stylish and the staff are attentive. Our room (Laburnum) was lovely, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom luxurious. Having asked for a double bed it was a shame that it was just two singles pushed rather than joined together so that there was a gap down the middle but otherwise they were very comfortable. The Spa is very peaceful and the treatments that we had were very good. There is a large pool, thalassotherapy pool and indoor and outdoor jacuzzis all of which are very well maintained. Our only 'niggle' was that the power kept tripping off in the changing rooms, plunging them into complete darkness and this happened at least four times in the 24 hours we were there. Negotiating the way out of the changing room before the lady with the torch arrived was a bit disconcerting to say the least! Afternoon tea was delicious plus dinner and breakfast. I like it here very much and would hope to return - especially in the summer to enjoy a Pimms in the lovely gardens.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
jowenWestSussex, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and can confirm the power surges we were experiencing during your stay have now been addressed to ensure Utopia Spa facilities exceed our guest’s expectations.

I have spoken with the housekeeping team to ensure all our handmade Z and Link beds are correctly made as you should not have realised they were two twin beds made as a double.
Jonathan Owen

Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!