“A beautiful way to enjoy the finer things” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“A beautiful way to enjoy the finer things”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Alexander hotel is the most luxurious place I have ever stayed in, not rich or famous but get treated like you are! Never had a massage before so no experience but me and my girlfriend loved it, spa faculties are very nice and the food was top notch!
We stayed in a luxury suit and the title says it all, absolutely sensational! Service was brilliant!
2 things I can say in a slight negative, 3pm check in and 11am check out means it's a little rushed to take full advantage of everything, stay 2 nights if you can and sauna and steam room are in changing rooms which looks and are lovely but you can't enjoy them with your partner (of another sex) but would recommend Alexander hotel to each and every person

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Whiley86,

Thank you for such great feedback!

The whole team and I were thrilled to hear that you have had such a wonderful time with us at Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa

Indeed we love to indulge all of our guests!

Once again I would like to thank you for choosing Alexander House Hotel and sincerely hope you will revisit us in the near future.

Front Of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Loved it. Service, friendliness, food, decor, rooms, spa. Everything. I took my boyfriend for his birthday and we used the spa in the evening that we arrived and the morning before check out. We had a couple of treatments each that were great. The spa facilities are really good. Note that the sauna and steam rooms are in the changing rooms so only single sex, but there is plenty to do together so it is also nice having some quiet time! The staff were so helpful and we didn't have a single stressful moment. Highly recommend for a relaxing break.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Weddie111,

Thank you for this positive feedback. I am really pleased to hear that you and your boyfriend have had such a wonderful time with us. It is our reward to hear good comments’ also thank you for recommending Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa to everyone.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a spa weekend - a present from me to my sister, who was with me. I was hoping for (and thought, at the prices they were charging I should get!) a stress-free weekend.

Right from the booking onwards there were problems. The website clearly stated that rooms could be twin or double. I made my booking (£490), requesting twin, and was charged a £200 deposit in accordance with their terms. Next day, I got an email stating that there were no twin rooms available in the category I had requested; I could either have a double room or pay an extra £40 to upgrade (described as half price - though the next category of rooms online were only £60 more). I tried several times to talk to the person who had sent the email, but was unsuccessful, and she left a couple of messages for me, trying to get me to pay the extra £40. By the time she left the final message, the next category of rooms had been reduced online to just £20 more than mine, so I would in fact have been paying more than someone booking then!

On arrival, however, the staff were excellent, and I found that we had in fact been upgraded to the twin room free of charge. I really enjoyed the spa, the room was nice (though impossible to have a shower without flooding the bathroom, and the bath plug didn't work). Dinner, however, was another hiccup. We had £30 each included in our 'deal' price. We each ordered the 'mozzarella and tomato gateaux' (£10). This was just a plate of mozzarella and tomato slices. We then had our mains. I ordered some green beans as a side. However, these only arrived after I had prompted twice - and finished my main course. The total cost was £58.50, under the £60 we had between us, yet the restaurant added 12.5% 'service charge' on. Given they failed to actually deliver what we ordered at an appropriate time, I would certainly not have paid this had I realised. We'd had some cocktails before dinner, and so both drank water with the meal, for which we were charged £8.

After dinner, we thought we might watch a DVD in our room, as the publicity said some were available from reception. However, when we asked, we were told 'Yes, I'm not sure why it says that, we don't have any DVDs.'

I had expected to pay a significant amount of money for the weekend. I travel a lot, and have stayed in a number of similar hotels around the globe. I expected to pay that money for a standard of service. Sadly, despite the price, and the genuine politeness of the staff, the service was lacking. I noticed that this is the first year they have had the 5* rating, and I felt that they were just not comfortable with it. Although it was a nice weekend, it left me with the feeling of it being money-grabbing and uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear hel_o94,

Thank you for your message. We very much appreciate your comments on your experience at Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa. We are keen to receive your feedback so that in the future we can delight our guests even more.

I am sorry to hear that after your visit to Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa you did not feel quite as delighted as you should have been. I would be pleased to discuss the above mentioned topic with you at your earliest convenience. I sincerely hope we can provide you with a sufficient explanation. Please kindly contact me directly by e-mail at the address tjurca@alexanderhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We absolutely loved our stay in Alexander House for a romantic anniversary spa weekend. The service we received was truly amazing, with the bar staff knowing each customer's name based on what room they're staying in.

The spa facilities were stunning and staff were very professional there too. A beautiful building, with great surroundings.

The dinner we had in the hotel restaurant was delicious and the service, again, perfect; being escorted to our table from the champagne bar!

Room Tip: The Blenheim Suite is quite small and at the very top of the hotel, but had a gorgeous roll top bath...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Longhurst1990

Thank you for so much praise!
We Strive for our service to be " Razor sharp !” " and we are all pleased to hear that you felt so.
I was also pleased to read how much you enjoyed our Spa itself and the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team
My team and I look forward to welcome you back.

best wishes
Felbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Been here a few times, either just for drinks, or a meal.

Bar is very relaxing and never seems too busy. Staff all very friendly and efficient. Bar menu is short but has a good choice of food.

Restaurant food is also very good, with attentive and friendly service.

Would go more often if the drinks weren't so so expensive!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dedar lamacalmer,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us.
I am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay. We do check our pricing against our competitors. I believe we are equal or better value for the product on offer . We strive to develop as a destination hotel with our service and with our product and I am grateful for your comments.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind Regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Amazing Spa, and jacuzzi outside! Being a 4* rather than 5* its missed off most lists but its amazing value for money and the suites are awesome.. and they have love bird in the lobby, and even a helipad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonnyDodge
Dear JonnyDodge,

Thank you for your comments.
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Alexander House Hotel.
We work hard to create and deliver exceptional experiences for our guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our ‘Hidded Gem” in the near future.

Kind Regards
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We booked a 4 hour spa experience including a 55 minute treatment and afternoon tea. The hotel certainly is impressive upon arrival, how the other half live! Registration was quick and polite, we were a bit early as we'd travelled a long way and we wee allowed in earlier than we'd booked. However, our afternoon tea was scheduled for the last hour of our slot which was a bit of a swizz as I thought we'd have 4 hours in the spa.
The robes are much too small which is embarrassing if you are a tad larger.
The main pool area is very nice, with easy chairs rather than loungers. We dipped into the outside jacuzzi too despite a grey day. Lots of wasps there though. Steam room and sauna nice but nothing special. The highlight was the treatments, mine, a facial, was the best I've had, I would highly recommend Trisha who has magic hands, just brilliant :) there is a relaxation room but it's just a quiet room but with led lights blazing, I prefer the dark rooms with mood music you find in some spas. Afternoon tea was very nice, best tea ever, hot and lovely flavour, the sandwiches also a highlight especially the egg, and the crab & salmon - yum. It wasn't hugely grand though, and service a bit hit or miss. They are building a large block of spa suites in the grounds, I hope they are extending the spa as the existing offering is not enough to warrant an actual spa trip.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear rubyhettybetty2014

Thank you for sharing your review on your stay at Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa with the TripAdvisor community.
It was a real pleasure having you as our guests. Thank you for highlighting the professional approach of our Spa therapist Trisha. Your comments are a great encouragement to the entire Spa team. I am very pleased to read that you have had a fabulous Afternoon Tea here with us in our South Drawing room overlooking our lovely gardens. Now that the weather is improving we are looking forward to also be able to offer our Fresco dining for Lunch and Afternoon Tea on the terrace.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Best wishes
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!