“Relaxing treat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We booked this on a deal, and then chose to upgrade, ended up in the Henley suite which is apparently their best, a huge space of living room, bedroom and bathroom. The room itself was stunning, the bed enormous and comfortable, we had room service and the food was delicious. The next day we had breakfast in our room which was again delicious, before hitting the spa and having a couple of treatments. Positives: all of the staff were really friendly and helpful, without exception. The spa was lovely and once you get over the slight weirdness of people wondering round the hotel in their gowns and slippers, you relax into it. Our bathroom really was amazing, a vast space with a step up bath, double sinks, tv and lovely spa products. Negatives: the room had clearly been done up relatively recently, but it was just missing that extra attention to detail to make it awesome. For example, the lighting in the bedroom was either super bright or too dim, no subtle halfway point. When lying in bed you're practically blinded by the downlights shining down on you. The ipod speaker didn't work in the living room, but the one in the bedroom did. We couldn't quite balance the heating and ended up opening the sash window, which turned out to be broken. We were bemused to find the visitors book in plain sight was full of really negative comments - we couldn't actually find a single positive one! But they seemed to be people complaining about silly things like not being allowed to wear their robe in the bar after 6pm. Nevertheless we thought the hotel might want to turn over a fresh page on this!
But these comments don't take away from what was a lovely relaxing stay in a very impressive room, with friendly staff and a luxurious spa.
Looking at the full price for the room we stayed in I would never have paid it, but on a travelzoo deal with a bargain upgrade this really was good.

Room Tip: Henley suite was impressive
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear TinaTpot,

Thank you for choosing Alexander House Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am extremely happy to note that you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your praise of our beautifully Henley Suite.
I am glad to learn that you also enjoyed your treatments were able to indulge yourself in our Utopia Spa.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Front Of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our entire stay was one amazing experience followed by another. All the staff were polite and attentive. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was immaculate and well appointed. Unfortunately, after sitting on the bed, the very large headboard came away from the wall. On mentioning it to Reception we were told that it would be seen to immediately. We then went off to enjoy our spa treatment, but within 5 minutes were told that a repair would not be possible and so as not to inconvenience us any further, they upgraded us to a suite! All our things had been unpacked, but we were told that this would not be a problem and that they would move it all for us while we were enjoying our treatments. This was done with the minimum of fuss. The spa itself was amazing - it really was just like the photos. I cannot praise it highly enough. The attention to detail was fantastic. The variety of facilities available was great and the shop was lovely. The massage was very relaxing. We ate in Reflections restaurant and found the food to be first class and beautifully presented. We spent the following day back in the spa and enjoyed ourselves so much that we didn't want to leave, so to prolong our trip we stayed for afternoon tea. It was a perfect end to a perfect stay. I cannot praise this establishment highly enough and will definitely be returning very soon. Anyone wanting to get away from it all in beautiful surroundings, with first class customer service, food and facilities will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CarolineH

Thank you for your comments.
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Alexander House Hotel.
All of the team here really appreciate your praise.
We work hard to create and deliver exceptional experiences for our guests.
Hopefully you will get the chance to join us for summer break which is are on sale now.
We look forward to welcoming both of you back in our Hotel.

East Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just a message to say how much I enjoyed my stay at Alexander House hotel earlier this week. This is my fourth visit. My room was perfect; thank you for ensuring my stay was very comfortable.

Reception & concierge staff, cleaning staff, Spa and restaurant staff - all very helpful, kind, thoughtful and professional. I have said a couple of times and will say it again here … I used to go to Champneys but I prefer Alexander House so much better!

Looking forward to my next visit asap.

Erica S

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear EricaS

Thank you for your lovely review and staying with us. It sounds as if you had a delightful time and experience in our Utopia Spa.
I was also pleased to read how much you enjoyed you’re the room itself and the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team
My team and I look forward to welcome you back.

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Hotel nice, staff were all a bit robotic
We ate in Ags restaurant and we both had a terrible meal. the food was dry and bitter.
We were asked, on check out if every thing was ok with our stay, we mentioned the poor meal we had in the restaurant, but this did not register with the front office staff and she said “great”
I did not complain as I have worked in 5 start hotels all over the world for 25 years and know it sometimes goes wrong.
We were asked for feedback from the hotel via email which I did and mentioned the poor meal we had had.
I was shocked to receive a reply from the assistant general manager suggesting that Ags restaurant may not have been to out taste and we should try the other restaurant.
I found this reply highly insulting. I did pass this on to the GM but never got a reply.
We spent a lot of money in this hotel but the way they treat feedback from there customers is shocking
Never again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear MarkD,

Thank you for your detailed and constructive review.

First and foremost, I must apologise for the experience you have detailed. The situation that you have described is absolutely not indicative of our usual immaculate standards,please rest assured that I am investigating exactly what took place during your stay to make the experience so far below your expectations.
I am sorry to say that or GM never received and e-mail from you however to work out how this could have happened, and how to ensure that such an experience is never duplicated,May I ask you to contact me so that we can investigate your comments further (tjurca@alexanderhotels.com).

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The aim of the weekend was for relaxation and I have to give top marks. The hotel is lovely, the staff are superb and we both came away felling totally relaxed and refreshed, just what the doctor ordered. We will be going back before Christmas and would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart M
Dear Sturat_M,

Thank you very much for positive feedback you provided us with. We were very glad to hear that you were very much pleased with our standards and level of hospitality you experienced in our hotel during your stay.
We sincerely hope to see you back at Alexander House Hotel in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Booked this hotel to celebrate my wife's birthday. Arrived quite late in the evening, just managed to make it to the restaurant in time; menu was good without being exceptional, but a good selection of wines. Overall, a good dinner & reasonably priced.
Room was a little cramped....we were on the top floor underneath the roof; I would suggest trying to stay in a room on a lower floor; however, the bathroom was very well presented.
The highlight of our stay was the spa, which has an excellent array of jacuzzi & other smaller pools in addition to the main swimming pool. There were very few people using the spa (we stayed mid-week), so it was like having our own private spa experience!
Would definitely consider a repeat stay!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris D
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear ChrisD

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. Your review will most definitely encourage us to continue to strive for superior customer service.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Hopefully you will get the chance to join us for winter break which are on sale now.
We look forward to welcoming both of you back in our Hotel.

Billericay, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Well I booked this as a surprise for my other half, we have both had a really stressful couple of months with work and I just wanted to be able to get away and turn our phones off an relax. For that side of things we both enjoyed it. On arrival I was a little disappointed to see a massive amount of building works going on in the grounds. Nobody mentioned this too us either before or whilst we were staying there. When we entered the hotel we were greeted and instantly made to feel very welcome and showed to our suit, we went for a spa suit. The room was lovely, large spacious although for a spa suit I did very much expect something like a whirlpool bath or something like that in the room. There was nothing overly special about the room other than the size. We then went down to the spa and well what can I say, its beautiful its relaxing, its everything we expected. My only one complaint was that there was no unisex steam room and sauna. Now I know convention dictates that these are single sex but for a hotel and spa aiming itself at romantic getaways I think this is something that is lacking. The treatments we both had were amazing and we spent quite a bit of money on various bits from the spa shop to enjoy at home. The meal was in the reflections restaurant, this was lovely and although my steak was not the best I have eaten, my other half was luckier with her cut and really enjoy hers, both were cooked perfectly (we are both very fussy when it comes to how our steaks are cooked) my only complaint for this restaurant was we like 95% of the patrons in the venue that night were suited and booted and my better half was in a lovely dress and heals. The couple on the table next to us were in crocks, jeans and a scruffy t-shirt. I feel for a 5 star venue, you need to have some minimum level of dress code even for the more relaxed of the two restaurants. The wine choice we had was lovely and we retired to the suit with another bottle in hand.

Now for my big complaint. I mentioned the building site outside. I also mentioned we went on this break away for one reason and that was to have some R&R, this meant no phones, no alarms and simply forgetting the world for a couple of days. Can you imagine my frustration when at 8am we are awoken by drilling and hammering and all sorts coming from the building site!

Did I come away from there refreshed and relaxed.... Yes, but this was down to the Spa and not the Hotel! Would I go back, Yes but I would be damn sure to find out if the building works was still going on BEFORE confirming my booking.

Room Tip: Make sure the building works have finished or that you are not put in a room that overlooks the buil...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PDHerring
Dear PDHerring,

I am so happy that we managed to contribute to a memorable experience here at Alexander House Hotel .
I was sorry to learn that you did not like our non-unisex steam room and sauna in our Spa moreover I would like to extend my apologies for the for the building works in the morning.
I would ask you to please contact me at tjurca@alexanderhotels.com and I will be more than happy to make the next booking for you.
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,191 reviews
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!