We booked this on a deal, and then chose to upgrade, ended up in the Henley suite which is apparently their best, a huge space of living room, bedroom and bathroom. The room itself was stunning, the bed enormous and comfortable, we had room service and the food was delicious. The next day we had breakfast in our room which was again delicious, before hitting the spa and having a couple of treatments. Positives: all of the staff were really friendly and helpful, without exception. The spa was lovely and once you get over the slight weirdness of people wondering round the hotel in their gowns and slippers, you relax into it. Our bathroom really was amazing, a vast space with a step up bath, double sinks, tv and lovely spa products. Negatives: the room had clearly been done up relatively recently, but it was just missing that extra attention to detail to make it awesome. For example, the lighting in the bedroom was either super bright or too dim, no subtle halfway point. When lying in bed you're practically blinded by the downlights shining down on you. The ipod speaker didn't work in the living room, but the one in the bedroom did. We couldn't quite balance the heating and ended up opening the sash window, which turned out to be broken. We were bemused to find the visitors book in plain sight was full of really negative comments - we couldn't actually find a single positive one! But they seemed to be people complaining about silly things like not being allowed to wear their robe in the bar after 6pm. Nevertheless we thought the hotel might want to turn over a fresh page on this!
But these comments don't take away from what was a lovely relaxing stay in a very impressive room, with friendly staff and a luxurious spa.
Looking at the full price for the room we stayed in I would never have paid it, but on a travelzoo deal with a bargain upgrade this really was good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 170 acres of stunning private gardens and parkland, Alexander House Hotel in Sussex is both a boutique retreat and an unsurpassed destination spa hotel near London, UK, the heart of South England's countryside. With tastefully designed, luxurious bedrooms, award winning Utopia Spa and a 3 AA Rosette restaurant, Alexander House Hotel is ideal for a weekend luxury escape in Sussex countryside and is a perfectly appointed private function venue, wedding venue near London and business events venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander House & Utopia Hotel East Grinstead
- Alexander House And Utopia Spa
- Alexander Hotel Utopia
- Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK