“Excellent spa”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The spa certainly merits five stars: lovely pool, outdoor jacuzzi, etc. We visited in August; I imagine the spa might feel like even more of a luxury on a cold winter's day. We got a cheap deal on the hotel and overall it was good value for money. The cheapest rooms are apparently all in the older part of the hotel - great if you want a room with character (we had a four-poster bed) but perhaps something to be wary of if you prefer a modern feel. Full breakfast was nice enough but doesn't deserve five stars, or the thirty-pound price tag it comes with if you pay for it separately: seekers of 'luxury' would probably be disappointed to have toast made from a sliced loaf from the supermarket. A word of praise for the staff: all extremely friendly and approachable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael M
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear MJM19702013,
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay. We put a lot into offering our undivided attention to all of our guests, however I am sorry that the breakfast was not you liking. Hopefully you will get the chance to revisit us in a near future. We look forward to welcoming you back !
best wishes,

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My friends and I stayed at this hotel overnight on a spa break deal. The spa is absolutely beautifully designed and very clean. There is a sauna and steam room within the changing rooms and the hotel also boasts an outdoor Jacuzzi. The hot tub is very warm and bubbly and the room is dimmed to give you that relaxing feeling.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and even the tour of the hotel by the concierge is enjoyable and very informative.

There are no room numbers at this hotel, instead each room is identifiable by a tree name, we stayed in Bay and Sycamore. Both rooms were designed considerably different, but at the same 5 star standard. The bathroom was outstanding, it included a monsoon shower which could probably fit about 3 people and it also had a separate bath. One thing that stands out about this hotel are the mirrors, beautifully designed and very large.

The gardens are very well kept and buzzing with nature, bees, dragonflies, and birds.... There were even rabbits running around. The concierge had mentioned that there were deer's around too, but we were not lucky enough to see them. The hotel has 3 zebra finch birds within the hotel, Soo, Sooty and Sweep who were adorable.

Breakfast was very tasty, a full hearty meal to get you ready for the day ahead. I had a vegetarian breakfast and would recommend it.

All in all, a very relaxing break which made us feel like we were on holiday.

Dear Naomi_LF,
Thank you for your lovely review and staying with us. It sounds as if you had a delightful time and experience in our Utopia Spa.
My team and I look forward to welcome you back.
best wishes,

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent 1 night with 3 girlfriends on a summer spa break. Hotel itself was lovely and so were our rooms. The spa was nice. Ate in The Reflections Restaurant, the food was excellent, however, the service was not 5 star. Wine in my opinion was overpriced. We ordered a Southern Comfort at the bar after dinner but were told they had run out, again I wouldn't expect a 5 star hotel not to have the drinks listed on their menu. Breakfast was acceptable but not great. Staff were friendly. My one complaint would be that every time we ordered something whether it was a pot of tea at 3pm or a drink from the bar a service charge was added. I personally like to decide for myself if the service deserves a tip. Overall we had an enjoyable day and night.

1  Thank Lizzie58Lincolnshire

Dear Lizzie58Lincolnshire,
Thank you for choosing Alexander House Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you found our drinks overpriced. Service charge in our hotel is discretionary and as detailed in our menus.
Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with this very helpful review
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I just have to write and say a big THANK YOU to all the staff at Alexander House. They make you feel like nothing is too much trouble and service is always 5 star. The spa facilities are clean and very well maintained. The afternoon tea was lovely and a real treat. We came on a summer deal so got good value for money (peak season prices can be high). Overall, great experience! I cannot wait to return.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Maddy B,
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a 2 night package at Alexander House which basically included everything. We had a lovely time & mostly everything is very nice & as it should be. But what you don't get is that 5 star feeling that nothing is too much of a problem and your every need has been anticipated.
The staff were all lovely. At breakfast there was obviously a couple of young, probably summer staff who weren't particularly 5 star, but still pleasant. The guys in AG's restaurant were amazing, really some of the best service I've ever had. They are a real asset to the hotel. The food in AG's is also delicious.
Afternoon tea was very nice, nothing more, nothing less.
The room was lovely, very clean.
The spa was very nice but the spa staff are brilliant. The areas in and around the spa are clean & nice but the sauna & steam room are in separate changing rooms so you wouldn't be able to go in with your partner. Also, there are no windows in the pool area but there's not much they can do about that. The outside area is lovely but it isn't massive.
We had a nice meal in the brassiere, all tasty & fresh & we had an excellent breakfast the 1st morning and a slightly less than excellent breakfast the 2nd morning but this is what I mean by not quite 5 star. It's like they are doing just enough to be 5 star & nobody really has a passion to be 5 star. Things like the coffee in our room were sachets of Nescafe. In my opinion really not good enough, especially as it was a luxury room. Also, we had a coffee in the afternoon on the terrace & it didn't even come with a biscuit. It's the small touches.
Having said all that I will definitely go back because if you don't sweat the small stuff I think it is a really nice hotel with mostly excellent staff. If only someone could inject a bit of passion it would be perfect

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chillipups

Dear ChilliPups,
Thank you for your lovely review and staying with us. It sounds as if you had a delightful time and experience in our Fine dining AG’s restaurant.
I was also pleased to read how much you enjoyed your room and the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team.
Thank you once again for providing feedback and I do hope you will revisit us soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this hotel or a romantic stay with my fiancé. Hotel & grounds are immaculate, staff pleasant and pool very nice indeed. Our room was on the top floor quite small but lovely fittings and the bathroom was even better. We booked as a complete package which included dinner but when it came to it, dinner was in the cheaper restaurant so we upgraded as we were the only dinners in the restaurant which put us off as no atmosphere. Would stay again if I wanted total relaxation and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tragril1

Dear tragril,

Thank you for your lovely review and staying with us. It sounds as if you had a delightful time and experience with you fiancé. I am so sorry to read our Restaurants atmosphere did not meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming both of you back in our Hotel.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I visited the Utopia Spa for the day with two friends on a Saturday, which overall is was a lovely experience. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and shown around the facilities. The staff were very helpful in accommodating an additional treatment for my friend. I had booked in advance to do a boxfit class in the studio and when no one else turned up to take part, the instructor took me in to the gym for a one on one session which was excellent. Afterwards, I took some time to read in the relaxation room which was very comfortable. Apparently the day we visited was one of their busiest but there was always space to sit and it didn't feel too crowded. Lunch was very nice - we opted for a shared meze and for my second course I had a risotto cake and we barely touched the side of fries which my friend had ordered! In the afternoon I had a massage which was simply divine. There was time to sit outside in the garden in the sunshine and it was great to lie on the sun loungers. I had decided to book a facial as an additional treat to the pamper package, so I was disappointed when I felt it wasn't such a high standard as the earlier massage (I didn't feel it warranted a complaint but it was a bit clumsy and not as relaxing as I would have hoped). My friends were both very happy with their pedicure and facial treatments. As we left and settled our bill (we'd had some additional drinks and sides over lunch), I requested to see the breakdown after our cards had been processed and realised we had been charged for glasses of Procesco which we hadn't ordered. They refunded this once queried but I was very glad I'd checked the bill! Would recommend the Utopia Spa as a good relaxing escape for the day.

Dear Newcastle76

Thank you for your comments .I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Alexander House Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the warm welcome from our reception team and that you enjoyed our Spa experience. Hopefully you will get the chance to join us for autumn break which are on sale now. We look forward to welcoming both of you back soon
Best Wishes

Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!