“Outstanding Spa”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Spa”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

What a beautiful hotel and Spa! We stayed over a fri/sat for a Spa break and have had the most amazing experience. Our junior suit was modern,spacious and impeccably decorated with views of the gardens and hot tub. Every member of staff we encountered was perfectly dressed, polite and couldn't do enough for us. Our Spa treatments were second to none and performed by well trained therapists. We were incredibly lucky with this glorious weather which just made sitting in the outside hot tub with a G&T heaven!
If I had once room for improvement point I would say that the drinks( even soft £3 for a glass of lemonade) are very expensive and I think this could be reviewed to make sure residents who are already paying a premium for rooms and treatments are not being exploited, however all in all I would give it 9/10!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first or second floor , top rooms had very small windows and looked like eve r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Olivia C
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Olivia C,

Thank you for so much praise!
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed our Spa itself and the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team
My team and I look forward to welcome you back I will make sure personally that next time we score 10 out of 10.

best wishes
Front Of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It was my 65th birthday and we wanted to have a family lunch to celebrate, so chose Alexander House. It was perfect, the grounds, the service and the food were tip top. The adult children loved it so much they went to rececption afterwards and purchased us the afternoon tea voucher, so more to look forward to!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear PietronellaE,

Thank you for joining us for your birthday and for your subsequent review.
I am very pleased to read that you have had a fabulous time here with us.
I am sorry you had to return to the real world but I very much hope you will be returning to us very soon for afternoon tea.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The AG restaurant is excellent, but the Reflections brasserie is terrible. The treatments are expensive and very pedestrian. We've stayed at The Grove and other 5-star spa's on the continent and THIS is NOT a 5-star hotel in my opinion. The majority of the staff (non-management) are not at all attentive and you have to turn on sirens to get the attention of some of the waiting staff if you're outside. The so-called Luxury King we were staying in didn't even have air conditioning! When checking out, the staff couldn't even explain the incidental costs so I had to have the hotel manager go through it with me over the phone and email AFTER they charged my credit card WITHOUT my authorisation.

Room Tip: Luxury King class rooms were very oldy-worldy. King bed was very bouncy so maybe opt for a double or...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aparajita78
Dear Aparajita78,
Thank you for your detailed and constructive review.
First and foremost, I must sincerely apologise that your recent stay was not to your satisfaction. The matters that you have raised are absolutely not indicative of the level of service and quality that we pride ourselves on providing, and I am very sorry to hear that you have left with a diverse opinion.
I believe whilst your comments are mainly of personal opinion, I am aware that the receptionist had difficulties in explaining the bill to you that’s why I called you after your departure. I am of the understanding that the bill was more than you indexed to spend however we will charge any outstanding amount to the card presented on arrival for guests that leave us without settling their bill.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband treated us to an overnight stay with spa treatments, lunch and dinner. WOW! Absolutely love this place. Service is second to none and the food is amazing. The spa is really good - only negative is that it's very busy - less people may have made it better but this is a very popular place. All in all, quite expensive but we would say it was worth it!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the top floor - they are gorgeous but lower floors are better - less of a feel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lin G
Thank you for choosing Alexander House Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay with us
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay. We put a lot into offering our undivided attention to all of our guests
Hopefully you will get the chance to join us for our new Luxury Break which is on sale now.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have visited the spa twice now and each time was excellent. The staff are friendly and helpful and the treatment rooms and public areas fresh and clean and the treatments are excellent. The pool is a nice design but there is some wear showing at the bottom of some of the pillars.

The only drawback for me is that the saunas and steam-rooms are in the changing rooms so I couldn't use them with my husband and this was a romantic spa day get-away for us.

The restaurant's great for lunch and the staff are again, polite, helpful and friendly.

Dear JeanetteH,

Thank you for your lovely review and staying with us. It sounds as if you had a delightful time and experience in our Utopia Spa.
I was also pleased to read how much you enjoyed the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team
My team and I look forward to welcome you back
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a one night break for anniversary treat. The staff on check in we're very friendly and helpful and we had a lovely room (Copper Beech) with views over rear garden and outdoor hot tub area.

The spa was very picturesque but not quite as good as my favourite one in the New Forest :) The main thing I didn't like was the steam room and sauna being in the changing rooms so you could not use them as a couple. However the pool and spa area were really nice and beautifully clean and well presented as were tge changing rooms.

The grounds and building were well kept and garden very colourful with all the rhododendrons being in full bloom.

The only think that let our trip down was the waitress at breakfast who was sullen and unfriendly. After 20 minutes of being seated at a table that was not fully laid and missing napkins, some cutlery etc. I had to request a menu. It was not as if she was very busy as she had been clearing other tables around us. In a 5 resort I expected to be welcomed with a "good morning" and presented with a menu as we were seated. When she removed our plates she never asked if everything was ok and if we would like anything else! Other staff in the restaurant that delivered our tea and breakfast were smiling and friendly so it is just the luck of the draw who serves you! I was surprised at the very limited choice on offer for breakfast also. Every other similar grade hotel I have stayed at offered things like smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, eggs Benedict etc. not just a bacon egg and sausage muffin or full English when they charge £19.50 for a cooked breakfast. Our breakfast was included in the room deal but I would not have liked paying £39 it! They also offer a continental breakfast for £15 but again the choice was very limited compared to other places I have stayed.

Overall I would recommend as both hotel and spa were great and almost all staff exceptional :) I noticed another reviewer mentioning the service at breakfast so I guess they got this waitress as well!

Room Tip: We had the Copper Beech which was lovely with views to rear and nice quiet position.
Dear Jane_L,
Firstly, thank you very much for taking time to post such nice comments of our hotel and choosing us for your wedding anniversary.
I am very pleased that you have had such a perfect stay with us here at the Alexander House Hotel, and that your experience was overall such a positive one.
I am also very pleased that you loved the fantastic view from our Copper Beech room.
Now that the summer is here we are looking forward to also be able to offer Fresco dining for Lunch and Afternoon Tea on the terrace.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Best wishes
Warlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel on Sunday 16th June for our anniversary. We had stayed here a couple of years before and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves so this time was disappointing to say the least !!!
We saw on Groupon that they were offering discounted rooms so we took advantage. On arrival we were indeed met by a wonderful concierge who immediately made us to feel welcome. It ended there - Our room was The Windsor, a room in the eves of the roof which was a reasonable size but to stay in a hotel like this and at the price that they normally charge, we were disappointed to have no view whatsoever, not gardens, not even a car park but a courtyard looking into other rooms.
On arrival we were told that they had problems with their Chefs and that the main A La carte restaurant was already fully booked as limited numbers - This was part of the experience that we were looking forward to (A 5* should have plans in place to sort out problems when a Chef doesn't turn up !!!) We were happy to try the Brassiere rather than going out for dinner - A big mistake. My starter sounded delicious - Locally reared pork wrapped Scotch Egg with dressed salad - No, an egg wrapped in such a thin layer of pork which was so dry, almost inedible served with a dry limp, undressed salad - And charged at over £10 - I seriously would have preferred a scotch egg from a petrol station. My wife's lobster bisque was ok but nothing special and again not worth over £10. Our main courses were an absolute disaster - My wife had Confit Duck leg with dressed salad - No, A very small dry, shrivelled up & burnt duck leg served with dry, limp undressed salad - Inedible. Mine was Rump of lamb served with mash potato - No, 3 slices of thin lamb with more sinew than meat served on very cold mash potato and 2 leaves of Spinach. We complained and the Restaurant manager offered us a free dessert - My wife had the cheeseboard which was good and I declined. The restaurant Manager seemed very aware of the problems and as the table next to us had already complained of plastic in their food, was apologetic and embarrassed.
I must stress that we are not complainers and are well travelled and this is the VERY first time that I have felt the need to write about how bad our experience was !
We didn't get much sleep either as our room had a heavy squeaky door right outside our room which was in constant use throughout the night.
Breakfast took 20 minutes to arrive and when it came, the tomato looked as if it had been grilling for 24 hours, black and inedible and they forgot the egg ! Another 10 minutes to put right.
When checking out we were asked whether we had enjoyed our stay - We said no and were not even asked why.
Very, Very disappointed and as we have children, a rare occasion for us to get away was ruined by the whole experience. A 2* experience.

1 Thank Steve29_13
Dear Steve 29_13

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay at the Alexander House Hotel Team. We are very sorry to hear about your experience with us; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Alexander House Hotel Team, we strive to provide a superior service experience for all customers; therefore your feedback is very important to us, and we take it very seriously. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. When you are planning your next stay, please do contact me directly at tjurca@alexanderhotel.com

Yours sincerely,
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!