My wife and I stayed at the Hotel on Sunday 16th June for our anniversary. We had stayed here a couple of years before and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves so this time was disappointing to say the least !!!
We saw on Groupon that they were offering discounted rooms so we took advantage. On arrival we were indeed met by a wonderful concierge who immediately made us to feel welcome. It ended there - Our room was The Windsor, a room in the eves of the roof which was a reasonable size but to stay in a hotel like this and at the price that they normally charge, we were disappointed to have no view whatsoever, not gardens, not even a car park but a courtyard looking into other rooms.
On arrival we were told that they had problems with their Chefs and that the main A La carte restaurant was already fully booked as limited numbers - This was part of the experience that we were looking forward to (A 5* should have plans in place to sort out problems when a Chef doesn't turn up !!!) We were happy to try the Brassiere rather than going out for dinner - A big mistake. My starter sounded delicious - Locally reared pork wrapped Scotch Egg with dressed salad - No, an egg wrapped in such a thin layer of pork which was so dry, almost inedible served with a dry limp, undressed salad - And charged at over £10 - I seriously would have preferred a scotch egg from a petrol station. My wife's lobster bisque was ok but nothing special and again not worth over £10. Our main courses were an absolute disaster - My wife had Confit Duck leg with dressed salad - No, A very small dry, shrivelled up & burnt duck leg served with dry, limp undressed salad - Inedible. Mine was Rump of lamb served with mash potato - No, 3 slices of thin lamb with more sinew than meat served on very cold mash potato and 2 leaves of Spinach. We complained and the Restaurant manager offered us a free dessert - My wife had the cheeseboard which was good and I declined. The restaurant Manager seemed very aware of the problems and as the table next to us had already complained of plastic in their food, was apologetic and embarrassed.
I must stress that we are not complainers and are well travelled and this is the VERY first time that I have felt the need to write about how bad our experience was !
We didn't get much sleep either as our room had a heavy squeaky door right outside our room which was in constant use throughout the night.
Breakfast took 20 minutes to arrive and when it came, the tomato looked as if it had been grilling for 24 hours, black and inedible and they forgot the egg ! Another 10 minutes to put right.
When checking out we were asked whether we had enjoyed our stay - We said no and were not even asked why.
Very, Very disappointed and as we have children, a rare occasion for us to get away was ruined by the whole experience. A 2* experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 170 acres of stunning private gardens and parkland, Alexander House Hotel in Sussex is both a boutique retreat and an unsurpassed destination spa hotel near London, UK, the heart of South England's countryside. With tastefully designed, luxurious bedrooms, award winning Utopia Spa and a 3 AA Rosette restaurant, Alexander House Hotel is ideal for a weekend luxury escape in Sussex countryside and is a perfectly appointed private function venue, wedding venue near London and business events venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander House And Utopia Spa
- Alexander House & Utopia Hotel East Grinstead
- Alexander Hotel Utopia
- Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK