“Came home reinvigorated”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Treated my mum to a Sunday Night Escape package at the Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa. On arrival, we received a very warm welcome from the concierge and a tour of the hotel and spa. The hotel is charming and beautifully kept, but what makes it so special is the service. All the staff from the restaurant to the reception are friendly and helpful. Our package included 2 spa treatments each (massage and facial) and the girls looked after us brilliantly. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear StinaMaria157,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback.
We work hard to create and deliver exceptional experiences for our guests.
Hopefully you will get the chance to join us for summer break which is are on sale now.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Best wishes
Front Of House Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,285)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I went there today for a charity lunch to support St Catherine's hospice.We were first of all greeted with a glass of Champagne and had a good chat in the lounge. We then had salmon, asparagus and new potatoes followed by a rhubarb brulee crumble. Food excellent and staff very pleasant. A lovely experience. The views from the car park are gorgeous.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear kathy b,

Thank you for your comments.
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed the charity lunch at Alexander House Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back in our Hotel.
Best wishes

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Early March my girlfriend and I stayed at Alexander house & Utopia Spa, East Grinstead, as a treat to ourselves. We booked a suite in the main side of the hotel plus dinner & breakfast. When we arrived we were greeted with a very warm and enthusiastic front of house manager, who instantly made myself and my partner feel very special. We were then showed to our room which was immaculate, very spacious and most of all much more than we had expected! After we both had settled and put our things away we both set off to enjoy the spa. It was incredible, dimmed lights around the main pool and a fantastic blue vibrant light in the hydro pool. After a very relaxing hot tub soak and a quick swim, we then headed for dinner; not only was the service fantastic but the food was exquisite. Overall I would stay at Alexander house again in a heartbeat, it’s an incredible place, the staff are extremely good at what they do, the atmosphere it superb and most of all you don’t feel like just another guest you feel like the only guest.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear joe w,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you have had an enjoyable experience with us.
We have just launched our summer breaks so hope we can tempt you to visit us again in the near future.
My team and I look forward to welcome you back.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for one night in April on a Special offer. From the moment we arrived at hotel reception, the welcome was first class. The gentleman who checked us in was extremely friendly and really seemed to care we had a good stay, we were actually able to check in early and the Concierge who showed us round the hotel and to our room was also great! Our Treatments were booked for later that afternoon, which meant we were able to spend some time in the pools. We even tried the outdoor hot tub, which was amazing!

We had dinner in the AG’s restaurant. The waiters were all great and the service was attentive, but not overly intrusive. A special mention must go to Bruno, who was extremely helpful when we were trying to pick our wine from the very extensive list.

Check out was seamless and the same Porter who had taken us to our room the previous day was on hand to help us to the car with our luggage. He even remembered our names and asked if we wanted directions for our onward journey!

Overall, a fantastic stay and we only wish we could have stayed longer - We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ClareP,

Thank you for so much praise!
Indeed our service comes "from the heart" and we are all pleased to hear that you have felt so.
I was also pleased to read how much you enjoyed our Spa itself and the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team
My team and I look forward to welcome you back.
best wishes

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights me and my girlfriend for a relaxing spa break for our 1 year anniversary together.

What perfect first time at Alexander House Hotel. What spacious and very luxurious room – we had booked a classic room but on check in was upgraded to a luxury room on the spa side of the build it was just more than what we were expecting - the bathroom in particular! Access to the spa is without leaving the hotel which is great bonus for strolling back to your room in your robe after using the spa and a treatment

All of the amenities are excellent and the spa/pool/Jacuzzi/changing room area is really well set out with Sauna & Steam rooms in them and makes you feel very relaxed to walk around the hotel in your robe the whole time. The outdoor hot tub is unbelievable and a must even when it’s cold outside. We had full body massages which were included within our package; the double treatment room was excellent with 'mood' lighting and chilled out music being played. The beauticians were very comforting and friendly and worked wonders to my back & shoulders i felt really relaxed afterwards. They had candles burning in spa reception my girlfriend commented that they smelt incredible, even made me buy her a couple.

The bar offered amazing range of drinks & cocktails which was great, quality food is both of the dining areas was amazing the small loafs of bread in AGs what a touch and a must have!!. Before leaving the hotel we decided to stay around for Afternoon tea, we were allocated a table in the south drawing room the choice of teas was endless and the afternoon tea was the perfect way to finish off our amazing weekend.

The hotel is breath-taking and has beautiful surroundings. What a luxurious stay. The staff can’t do enough for you, everyone was really friendly. I would 100% go again. we may consider this as our wedding venue...loved it!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taz142

Dear taz142,

First of all Happy Anniversary!!
I am grateful to you for pointing out with so much praise our high standards of service.
I am glad to hear that you have so much enjoyed the "extremely friendly" staff as well as your room and food at our AG`s restaurant. Now that the weather is improving we are looking forward to also be able to offer our Fresco dining for Lunch and Afternoon Tea on the terrace.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed at Alexander House Hotel several times in the past years and have seen it transform from a Country House Hotel with lots of chintz into the beautiful 5-star property that it is today.

I normally stay before flying out from Gatwick. Although the hotel is a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport it is really worth the additional journey. The hotel is set in beautiful, well kept grounds, far from the noise and bustle of the large, corporate airport properties; making it a luxurious and peaceful start to any holiday.

As you drive to the front door, Concierge are ready to greet you and assist with luggage - and valet park your car. Receptionist are welcoming and efficient and the check-in process is fast so you are quickly shown to your home for the night. On my last visit in January, I was given a complimentary upgrade to a Master Suite in the original mansion house. All I can say is 'Wow'. The suite was almost the same size as my flat.... and was a series of 4 rooms. I entered into the first room which was a cosy lounge area with comfortable sofa, original fireplace and an enormouse flat screen TV. The bedroom led off the lounge and had a 4-poster bed and another flat screen TV suspended on the wall in just the right position to lie in bed and view. The bathroom led of the bedroom and consisted of 2 rooms - the first having a free-standing bath and a huge walk-in shower; and the second housing washbasin, loo and a chaiselongue. Everything was luxurious from the fine Egyptian cotton bed linen, the luxurious marble in the bathroom and the lovely Temple Spa products. I felt very spoilt and began to wish I was staying longer than one night.

After settling in to my room, I went down to the Utopia Spa and had a relaxing swim. Although I did not have a treatment on this occassion, I can vouch for them as I have had treatments on previous visits. The spa is beautiful and again very luxurious. Treatments are extensive and the Temple Spa products used smell divine. The staff are all very friendly and knowledgable.

Early evening and I sat infront of a roaring log fire with a glass of pink champagne. I decided not to eat in the Restaurant or Brasserie but opted for Room Service. (I wanted to spend time in my luxurious suite!). The menu is varied and has something for everyone, including a lighter option. I had salmon and a cheese board, with a 2nd glass of champagne. When my meal arrived it was well presented with good portion size. Most importantly, it tasted great. Hence my evening was spent cocooned in my fluffy towelling robe, watching TV, drinking champagne. Bliss.

Sadly, I had to leave at 5am the next day which meant I missed breakfast. I arranged a wake-up call for 4am and a member of the Night Team rang to ensure I had woken up. (much nicer than an impersonal automatic alarm). I was offered coffee but declined as I opted to use the inroom services. A taxi was called which arrived at the appointed time and check-out was quick and easy. I arrived at Gatwick feeling relaxed and refreshed after a good night sleep and looking forward to my holiday..

Alexander House Hotel may be more expensive than other properties in the area - but it is 5-star - and as the saying goes 'You get what you pay for'. Personally, I cannot wait until my next visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Riverview_13,

I thank you for your positive feedback and for highly recommending Alexander House Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back with our undivided attention.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this exsquisit hotel, all staff were very welcoming. Venue set in beautiful country side. All facilities are set in a peaceful and friendly atmosphere. A very special place to unwind and relax.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Ashleybreak,

Thank you for your very helpful review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Alexander House Hotel.
I look forward to your next stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!