My partner & I stayed here expecting 5* luxury, but unfortunately we were disappointed. Our room was clean, but nothing as special as the website, chipped furniture & wallpaper peeling off in various places.
We had tea & cakes in the bar, we had this around 3.30pm & the selection of cakes looked lovely but one was dry as though it had been left out uncovered & the custard slice had soggy pastry.
We used the spa facilities, which look just as lovely as they do on the website. I would say though that this is a hotel with good facilities rather than a spa, the steam/sauna are in the changing rooms and there is no sense of 'spa hush'. There were plenty of towels & water points in changing rooms & in the pool area, which was good. The steam room in the ladies had tiles missing & guests had made a pile of these on the floor, i think work was being done on it as there was on opening with wires or steel tubes where i imagine the steam comes out. It was extremely busy, with all the loungers taken up with guests towels but the guests were either having treatments or swimming, there was nowhere for us to sit so we sat on foot stalls until a lounger became available. The large jacuzzi was cold, too cold to use & the smaller jacuzzi was a lovely heat but appeared to be faulty as one jet, the only one, was spraying guests uncomfortably. The pool however is lovely & warm & looks great.
Our room was next to the house keeping stock & in the evening it was very noisey with doors opening & closing, staffing chatting etc. so we spoke to reception & asked if this was likely to continue & what time they would start in the AM, as if it was to continue we would want to move. We were told that staff were finishing soon, which they did and wouldn't start until 9am, this wasn't the case however & there was a steady flow of noise from 6.30am(!).
We ordered Pre-dinner drinks & ordered a cocktail, a basil Collins, which when arrived didn't taste of basil at all, so I asked if they could put some more in, another waiter came over who told me they had searched the kitchen but there was no basil, which I find acceptable, however they should've told me, not served me there drink & hoped I wouldn't say anything.
It took a long time to be seated at dinner, other couples with the same dinner time were seated quicker & given a menu to look at before, we're not sure why we weren't seated or given a menu at the same time. Dinner was lovely, our starter came out really quickly & we waited about 25mins for a main course, staff didn't reference this.
Breakfast was good too.
We spoke to the manager upon checkout & were suitably reimbursed, he was friendly & professional & gave us his details if we chose to use the hotel again which I thought was the appropriate response.
I think the hotel is average, but were expecting much more. I'm pleased that we weren't celebrating an occasion as I think we would've been disappointed further, so I'd say if you want something really special I'd choose somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 170 acres of stunning private gardens and parkland, Alexander House Hotel in Sussex is both a boutique retreat and an unsurpassed destination spa hotel near London, UK, the heart of South England's countryside. With tastefully designed, luxurious bedrooms, award winning Utopia Spa and a 3 AA Rosette restaurant, Alexander House Hotel is ideal for a weekend luxury escape in Sussex countryside and is a perfectly appointed private function venue, wedding venue near London and business events venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander House And Utopia Spa
- Alexander House & Utopia Hotel East Grinstead
- Alexander Hotel Utopia
- Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK