“Great food and service, bit pricey”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great food and service, bit pricey”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Had a great celebration here. The service was first class, what you you expect from this standard of holet as and restaurant. The private dinning was unrushed, unobtrusive but they were there when needed, I mean the wine needing a topup. A meal that will have lasting memories. Thank you Alexandra House.

• Stayed February 2013
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear antrrat

Thank you for your most splendid review!

All of us here at Alexander House very much looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes

Ian Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

If your looking for a wonderful relaxing time then a visit here is a must !!! The hotel itself is beautiful with original features of the manor with so much character which also has an amazing modern extention to the building which is where the spa is. It is set in beautiful grounds which adds to the whole experience. The spa itself has that wow factor but will say on a smaller scale than the ones I have visited. Treatments are a must and was very happy with the service. I will say though that we ate out on both nights as we didn't like the menu s both in reflection or the grill but that's just a personal choice ! And found it quite pricey too ! Breakfast was 1 st class I must say and would love to visit again.
An overnight stay is on the top end of our budget so will wait for offers and packages , top tip though if you have a chance to upgrade do it !!!
We ate out at the Thai restaurant Mae Ping east grinstead which was really nice and also The Dukes Head Copthorne for lunch which was amazing !

• Stayed February 2013
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Lisa W,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I am disappointed that you did not like our menus. Our kitchen is very flexible, on your next stay if there is something particular you would like please do let us know and we will see what we can do.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a special birthday treat last year. Lovely hotel. Upgraded to a suite when partner asked. Great room with large comfortable bed. Great spa too. We didn't have treatments just used pool, etc. I enjoyed it but my partner thought pool area was too dark. Ate in restaurant. Good service, tasty food, nice but nothing amazing.
Overall enjoyable and lovely experience but haven't rushed to go back

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank cld802
Dear cld802,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us. Hopefully on your next visit time will allow for you to also have one of our lovely treatments!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel - my husband and I had a great mid-week break. The room itself was beautifully decorated, extremely spacious and well-equipped. We stayed in Silver Birch and I highly recommend it. The bathroom was huge and includes a rolltop silver bath and separate rainshower, and fab Temple Spa products. Our dinner in Reflections was great - wonderful wine list, delicious food and a great selection. The service was slow, as it was in the Champagne Bar, but we weren't in any hurry. I also think that dinner is not good value for money, but would be very nice for a special occasion. Breakfast however was fantastic and definitely reasonable if included in your room price - I even opted for the 3 GBP extra for pecan pancakes with crispy bacon and it was completely worth it. Afternoon tea is also fab and the atmosphere is very relaxing. The Utopia spa is worth a visit on its own, but as part of a hotel stay it totally enhances your experience - the facilities are perfect and relaxing, amenities great and the staff so friendly. The treatment rooms are very nice and options include the standard but also a few unique. I also found the relaxation room great to read in silence if there is a big party in the communal pools area. Perfect for a short break or special occasion - you'll enjoy this hotel and spa!

Room Tip: Silver Birch on the 3rd floor was wonderful, quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear aelliott21921,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Norwich
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the hotel and have to agree with one or two of the previous reviews. In some aspects this hotel does qualify as a 5* hotel but it is the 'little' things which do let it down and result in it not attaining 5* status.

My partner and I have stayed in several 5* resorts both in the UK and abroad so have a fair range of comparison. The Alexander Hotel looks marvellous and the car park was full of very expensive cars. The greeting by the concierge was very friendly, courteous and helpful which made a lovely start to our visit. We were shown round briefly and although we didn't get the opportunity to use the spa facilities they looked fabulous and I would definitely use them should I need to stay there again. Our room was quite luxurious but the petty let-downs were:- a terrible view over roofs and extractor unit which was noisy all night; only one complimentary biscuit between two people! No body lotion in the bathroom for the ladies; no chocolate on the pillow after 'turn down' in the evening. I also have to say that at many lesser starred hotels we have been treated to fresh fruit/complimentary sloe gin/shortbread/chocolates etc etc in our room upon arrival. Here there was nothing to bring that little extra smile to your face.

We ate in Reflections restaurant as the other dining room was closed. I am afraid to say the restaurant has absolutely no atmosphere, is too brightly lit with no music, extremely noisy and draughty! We saw one couple ask to be moved and another couple tried but were told no. Our food was mostly excellent, however, we had to wait one hour between starter and main course which is ridiculous and in the end had to ask where our food was. At the end of a very long meal we waited to be offered coffee but were ignored and the waiter even started cleaning neighbouring tables. In the bar we asked if it was usual practice to be offered coffee and the barman came back with apologies from the restaurant and allowed our after-dinner liquers as complimentary. I would say that 99% of the staff we encountered were absolutely lovely, with only one exception.

However, do not let any of this put you off. We did enjoy our overnight stay. Just do not expect 5* standards throughout. In reality it is a very very good 4* that needs to try that little bit harder.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JulieNorwich
Dear JulieNorwich,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall but was disappointed that you did not like your room. Your particular choice of room is our lowest category of room and I would suggest that an alternative may be more suitable on your next stay with us which would include some of those extras that you felt were missing. Poems are left in rooms when housekeeping finish turning down your room in the evening as our healthy option to chocolate!

Due to demand our fine dining restaurant AG’s will be opening seven days a week from 1st April which may also be more to your taste.

Hassocks, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently treated my Mum to an overnight stay at Alexander House for her 60th birthday. We had an absolutely amazing time from start to finish! It was pure luxury and the staff were wonderful, so polite and friendly. Dinner was amazing and the beds were so comforty!!! Will definitely be going back again and again and again!!!!

Dear Actons,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

It was great to read how much you enjoyed your stay especially our handmade comfy beds.

I do hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again in the near future.

Once again thank you for such a fantastic review.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at a number of spa hotels, this is one of my favourites.
My mum & I booked an overnight stay & spa day.
We were met by the most wonderful concierge called Ray, he greeted us in the car park & immediately carried our cases. Ray then explained all the little details about our stay, he took us to the spa to check on our treatment times, showed us around the hotel & even gave us a little history of the building itself. If only more staff were like Ray!!! Thank you Ray.
I was surprised by the lack of communication between the hotel & spa, our treatment was arranged by the spa staff for 6.30pm & our dinner at 7pm!!!!! When we said we could not make that time for dinner OBVIOUSLY!!!! We were told the restaurant was very busy & we'd have to wait for dinner at 9pm! Bit late really!!! Communication is key!!!!!!
Ray then showed us a lovely spot to sit by the roaring open fire, whilst he went to get us some tea, (as we were too early to check in.) Our room was ready at 2pm one hour before we expected it to be.
The room was lovely, spacious & clean (we stayed in the Hatfield room) which is in the original/old part of the hotel.
No children are allowed in the spa, which is why I like it!! I've been twice now, Don't get me wrong I love kids!!! I have two of my own, but a spa is not the place for them!!!!
The spa is lovely, dim & relaxing! The relaxation room is nice, but I feel it should be darker! We also had two women chatting non-stop!!! It even had a sign saying ssshhhhhhh!!!!!
We had a lovely breakfast & dinner (except mine was cold so I sent it back)
The service was great, very attentive without being too much.
We had a two treatments a facial & back, neck, shoulder massage! The massage was the best I've had! Harriet was great!
I did complain to reception on checking out, that our neighbours next door were VERY noisy!!
Not something I've experienced at any spa hotel before! I had to put in my ear plugs so I could fall asleep! (Not great!!!!)
Before we left we had a great lunch in the champagne bar! Steak sandwich with twice cooked chips! Very nice.
I would visit again, but maybe Rowhill Grange next time (their sister hotel.)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Loopysurrey,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the miscommunication with your dinner reservation and whilst unforeseeable, for your noisy neighbours!

I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to Ray.

I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will be visiting us or indeed our sister property Rowhill Grange in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!