“A perfect place for relaxing”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A perfect place for relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

On arrival staff helped us with our luggage and showed us around the hotel and spa. .Nothing seemed too much trouble, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was lovely and overlooked the outside spa. It was a twin room called The Bay room. The treatment room were nice and the therapists were very good (I had Harriett massage me). I am a therpist myself and am very critical of treatments, however Harriett was very good and followed the Temple Spa sequence really well, applying the right pressure for my massage. We spent the day going from the sauna to the jaccuzi, for a swim, reading magazines and totally relaxing in the lovely chairs and beds they have around the spa area. Our evening meal was faultless (although quite expensive). Breakfast was yummy and the service excellent. We enjoyed it so much we are going again in 4 weeks time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet, ours was lovely if you want a twin Room aske for the Bay Room, Fab bathroom...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear HarmanS35

I was delighted to read your and will certainly pass on your particular comments to Harriett.

Utopia is perfect when you need some ‘time out’ and I am really pleased to see that you will be visiting us again soon.

As I am not able to identify you from your tripadvisor ID, may I ask you to contact me personally to let me know when you will be staying (iheath@alexanderhotels.com).

Ian Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Stamford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night ( we didnt dine) so we could visit Ardingly antique fair - ideal location for this.
The building is lovely and the staff welcoming. however, despite the fact that the place was virtually empty we were shown to our standard room in the far reaches of the hotel on the 2nd floor DESPITE THE FACT THE LIFT WAS BROKEN and we had to take our luggage up 2 very unnatractive back staircases !! ridiculous.Hardly a 4/5 star experience !
On the positive side our standard room was an ok size - well furnished and clean ( although the carpet looked very grubby!) with a large comfortable bed and decent linen. The ensuite was very nice and incorporated a large shower AND bath with double sinks and lots of space for toiletries. The best thing of all - in the bedroom there was A SOCKET DIRECTLY BELOW A MIRROR FOR DRYING MY HAIR ! Result ! My trustee extension lead wasnt needed on this occasion !! Also the lighting in the bathroom was ok for putting makeup on - another positive !
Back to the negative ( albeit it a temporary one!) , when i went downstairs at 10 am the next morning and headed to the lounge to enjoy a coffee - WRONG!! - it was closed for cleaning !!!
The spa, which is very lovely but doesnt interest me, seems to take very centre stage and rather dominates the hotel - possibly to its detriment .
And beware ordering 2 bottles of beer - £9.50 !!
All in all, I wouldnt rule out staying there again but would hope for a more positive experience .

Dear Lipsticklover

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that our lift was out of service during your stay. We have experienced some issues with our lift but I am pleased to say that this has now all been resolved. All but one of our rooms are located on the first and second floors this does therefore mean that unfortunately there is no other option other than the stairs for guests to access their rooms. We have an excellent concierge team and can not answer why your luggage was not delivered to your room unless you had declined assistance.

I was pleased to read how impressed you were with the fixtures, fittings and furnishings in your room. We are particularly passionate about comfort and quality to ensure a good nights sleep. The layout of our bedrooms for the easy of use is equally as important and something we take into consideration when planning refurbishments.

I do hope the team and I have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

East Sussex, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I regularly use the spa at this hotel and love it. Wonderful facilities backed up by great therapists who treat you like royalty. Based on my great experiences at the spa I decided to stay overnight prior to any early flight from Gatwick. Our room was gorgeous - comfortable & luxurious, I couldn't fault it. My stay was however marred by the poor attitude of some staff. When we arrived I immediately made tea which used all the milk & tea supplied. On my way to the spa I asked reception to pop some more in our room so that I could have a cup of tea on my return. When I got back 2 hours later no tea or milk! My husband went back to reception to ask again only to be told that we would get some in an hour or so at turn down service! My husband explained that we wanted a cup of tea now not in an hour or so. We were told that they would get some - we didn't so I gave up and went to the bar for some tea. Where I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to appear and serve me. It is a real shame that reception staff see fit to ignore reasonable requests and think it acceptable to be rude to guests. I would not expect this in any place that I am a paying guest and especially not from a 5 star hotel. I will continue to visit the spa but will give the hotel a miss in future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireHolland
Dear ClaireHolland

Thank you for adding you review.

I am very sorry for the response you received from one of our reception team. Please be assured this is being investigated and not to our usual standard.

I am really pleased that you are a regular visitor of ours to enjoy treatments but do hope that this has not deterred you from staying with us again.

May I ask you to contact me personally with any future reservation.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I booked a weekend in Alexandra House as a surprise for my fiancé's birthday and it was totally amazing. We had both been very busy and were in need if chill out time and relaxation. We enjoyed chilling out in the spa and with a great massage, it was heavenly. The bedroom and en suite was great quality, nothing missing and a wonderful bath. That evening, we had amazing wine and dinner in the fine dining restaurant, really great experience. We had so much fun with Frank the Head Waiter, who was keen to ensure everyone was really happy and well looked after. We only wish we had of had longer to stay, but will definitely be back. Such a quiet and relaxing hotel and in lovely setting, great for nice long walks.

Room Tip: Our room was at the very end so extremely quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mypeanuts

Thank you for your wonderful review, such comments really do make the teams efforts worthwhile.

We are very proud of our fine dining restaurant AG’s. It has become so popular with our guests and local residents that we will now also be opening on Monday and Tuesday evening from April to avoid any disappointment.

I am pleased to see that you are already planning to return to stay with us, as all of our rooms are different, make sure you check out our new website to choose a different room!

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel/spa for a relaxing weekend, and that is exactly what we had!

A beautiful old fashioned house with modern touches is surrounded by well kept gardens/grounds.

This hotel has open fireplaces (although unfortunatley two of these were not working on our visit), a number of relaxation areas such as the library and the spa relaxation room, a quiet place to just relax, read, snooze or gather your thoughts.

The room (standard double) was a great size very cosy, all mod cons, amazing bathroom!

The spa was fab! Swimming pool, hydro pool, indoor and outdoor jacuzzi (for the brave).......

You are encouraged to walk around in your robes during the day for ultimate relaxation.

There were two restaurants, one for fine dining and another for more informal meals. They also had a fab idea of with each meal you were provided with a small extra item to try out, i.e, at breakfast we were given a small smoothy, with dinner a small soup, all of which were amazing.

A tip, book your table at the restaurants (for every meal) early or prior to your stay as we were caught out twice over the weekend as the restaurants were fully booked. In this scenario you are able to order from the bar menu (limited choice) or room service.

The treatments were lush.... a wide choice of treatments including, massages, body wraps, indian head massage to name but a few. There is also a nail and hair salon on site.

The staff were in another league, they were all fantastic and eager to assit until our last day.... We stayed for a weekend and found that on our last day after we had checked out and only had use of the spa, that service levels seemed to slip, to be fair it was a Sunday and the hotel was packed with day spa visitors.

Our only downfalls to this hotel would be the price of the food (overpriced), and the temperature! It was very cold in parts of the hotel, not great when you are walking around in a robe.

Would without a doubt return.

Dear Mypeanuts

Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Our restaurants are very popular and we do strongly advise making table reservations in advance. We do recognised that not all guests are sure if they will be wanting lunch at the time of making their stay reservation and can at times be disappointed on arrival if our restaurants are full. We are currently working on a new, more extensive lounge menu giving customers even more choice to avoid such disappointment.

It is great to see that you will undoubtedly be returning; now the only question is when!

On behalf of all the staff here at Alexander House, we hope to see you soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here for a night before heading to Lingfield Races, was absolutely perfect. Our rooms was in The Tower (Blenheim) and the bathroom was the same size as the bedroom, just wonderful! The hotel itself is great, didn't try the Spa so can't comment on that but it did look pretty gorgeous. Had dinner in Reflections and that was delicious, if a bit light on bottles of wine under £35. Love the way it is built around a little courtyard. Service was impeccable & we were both rested & ready for a winning day at the races.

Dear Mrs Panayiotou

Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of all the staff here at Alexander House, we hope to see you soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The one night booking was made to enjoy a dinner in the AG Restaurant & Grill Room. On our arrival for dinner, we found the restaurant to be closed. We had to eat in the Brasserie, rather impersonal surroundings better suited to breakfast, without the ambience and character of the restaurant. (We had stayed at Alexander House previously). The cost of the meal was excessive, even though the food was very good. The room in the new wing over the Spa was very comfortable and well-furnished. It was located on the second floor. Throughout our stay the lift was out of order - causing some difficulty to my wife who suffers with knee problems.

Staff were very pleasant, but our enjoyment was undermined by the closure of the Restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the new wing, provided the lift is working! (see review above)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

We generally close AG’s Grill Room the first two weeks of January each year. I am sorry that you were unable to dine in your first choice of Restaurant this time. Please be assured that there are no other periods of planned closure for the Restaurant this year however our reservations team will be able to confirm this when making your next booking with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and the comfort of your room. I am sorry that the lift was out of service during your stay this was completely beyond our control or capability of fixing. As you stayed following a festive bank holiday, as I am sure you will appreciate, contractors such as lift engineers take a little longer to return to normal levels of service.

Once again thank you for your review, I do hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!