“Fantastic Birthday Treat”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Birthday Treat”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

What can I say! What an amazing experience! I took my wife here for her a surprise birthday treat on the 15th December. I wanted to create a really special experience for her so after speaking with the assistant reservations manager over the past few weeks prior to our stay, she helped me tailor the right treatments and plan the perfect day and evening for her. My wife also has some extra requirements that needed considering which were fully accommodated for.

We were both extremely impressed with the level of service and politeness of all the staff we came in to contact with. From the amazing non-alcoholic cocktail creation ability of one of the Champaign bar staff to the fantastic evening meal in the AG’s Grill the whole experience was perfect. The SPA staff were lovely too, they helped tailor the treatments to suit my wife needs and made her feel very special. The Spa and Pool area is very impressive and very clean. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was wonderfully decorated and had a fantastic roll top bath and walk in shower! It was so clean if felt like it had just been freshly decorated for us.

We will definitely be returning in the new year!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room called the "Chestnut" which was a junior suite. Very well planned la...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

It was great to read how much you enjoyed your wifes birthday stay with us.

I was please to learn that you will be visiting us again next year. If January is not to soon, take a look at our Just for January promotion now available online, this is our best offer ever!

Once again thank you for such a ‘wonderful’ review.

Ian Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
London
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I recently organised a birthday party for a friend of mine which we held at Alexander House. It was an ambitious event for 90 guests, with activities happening throughout the day followed by a full-on champagne reception and dinner in the evening.

From the moment we had our first meeting through to leaving the morning after, we were looked after so well. The management team worked with us and went out of their way through the planning process and the event itself was impeccable. Fantastic and friendly staff, well organised, wonderful food and of course a beautiful setting and stylish decor throughout.The team could not have been more helpful and made a very complicated event so effortless. All the guests were also very impressed and all had a great time.

This is an exceptional hotel - well worth a visit (great spa too) if youre looking for a special treat, but also a perfect party venue too.

Room Tip: They are all individually designed so best to check with reception when booking to explain what woul...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, December 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

Its great to know that the teams efforts were all worthwhile and hope that this was a birthday to remember for many years to come.

Once again thank you for your review, if not before, I hope to be welcoming you back for the next milestone!

Charlwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Alexanders looks promising from the outside, but once we got inside there was a distinct lack of signage to help us find our way around. The occasion was a Christmas party and we had a room reserved upstairs which was quite delightfully furnished. The staff offered flutes of Prosseco but needed to be reminded that mulled wine and winter Pimms were supposed to be on offer also. The mulled wine was not very well received, but the Pimms was fantastic when it eventually arrived.

We ate downstairs in the banqueting suite which was quite nice. The food was good, the only disappointments being a distinctly cool veggie lasagne and 4 small crackers served with the cheese plate. The lamb Wellington got rave reviews around the tables and my Turkey was excellent. I'd have preferred the gravy to be slightly thicker.

Coffee was served in the bar area afterwards. The selection on offer in the bar was poor. We tried to order after dinner liqueurs but most name brands were unavailable. No Baileys at Christmas? We were advised that they usually had an alternative Irish Cream liqueur on offer, but not on the evening in question. And none on our list were available from the downstairs bar, instead we had to traipse upstairs to order them. They did deliver to the table though, which was nice.

All together a bit of a disappointment overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that you felt a little let down by your Christmas meal with us. Certainly had we know that your lasagne was not hot enough or that you required more cheese biscuits this would have been rectified for you immediately. I am pleased that you and your guests all enjoyed the Lamb Wellington and the Turkey.

I am sorry that we run out of our Baileys equivalent during that evening. The hotel consciously buys unusual premium drink brands as appose to the usual branded products so that our bars are different and interesting to the norm.

I do hope this has not deterred you from staying with us again next Christmas if not before.

Once again thank you for your review.

Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Myself and three friends visit this hotel for a much needed spa day. Whilst we had a lovely day overall - fantastic setting and facilities, and amazing treatments, there were a number of things that spoilt the day for us.

Our welcome at the spa was less than friendly for a 5 star hotel. We had all booked a spa day using an e-voucher but all forgot to print the vouchers and bring them. To say we were badgered for our vouchers is an understatement. The receptionist virtually stood over me whilst I searched my phone for the message with the voucher attached. This is despite emailing the vouchers when we made our bookings. One of our group was not able to find her voucher and was made to feel like she was trying to get away without paying. The voucher was mentioned again when we checked out, and when my friend suggested that a courtesy email to remind people of the booking and to bring vouchers would be a good idea, we we told, quite rudely, that most customers remembered their vouchers.

Our lunch was generally ok, although the waitress spilled our bottle of prosecco on opening, and pouring each glass, then she topped up 3 of 4 glasses leaving none left for last glass. We also had to send our chips back as they were not properly cooked.

As I said we had a generally good day, and the therapists in the spa were fantastic, but it is the little details that matter, and we expect the highest levels of service from Alexander House.

On checkout an itemised bill was not supplied to me, and I had to request it - one if our group was overcharged last time so I wanted to check.

This was our 3rd visit to your spa as a group, but it may well be our last.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KateSM
Ian H, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that you felt ‘badgered’ for your vouchers. We do require guests to bring their vouchers with them as settlement of their day. We do highlight this is our confirmation letters to avoid charging guests for their experience, requesting an alternative payment method until the voucher can be obtained.

Whilst it is not often a requirement to print bills prior to a settlement being made this is possible and available on request. Vat receipts including a full breakdown of all charges are readily available at the end of all transactions made.

I do you are not deterred from visiting us again and hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Once again thank you for your review.

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Alexander House Hotel was absolutely magnificent. The service throughout was exceptional. From the outset of making the reservation with Michelle to the service levels from Sam and the rest of the super team at The Alexander House Hotel, it has been beautiful. The hotel has a wonderful ambience throughout. The Junior suite is exquisite.

This 5* Alexander House Hotel is a wonderful place. There shall be no other hotel or spa I would use on my visits to East Grinstead / Crawley. I have my permanent place in The Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa.

Thank you to all the team.

Dr. Adam

Room Tip: Junior Suite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

It was great to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I am even more pleased to learn that we will be your hotel of choice on future visits to the area.

Once again thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful meal and dining experience we had on the occasion of my daughter's 21st birthday in AG's Grill Room.

The food was excellent and your staff who looked after us were a complete credit to your hotel, in particular Rui(?) for whom nothing was too much trouble, particularly as both of my daughters are on strict diets in relation to food allergies.

Thank you once again and please pass on my compliments and thanks to the chef, waiters and other staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

It was great to read how much you enjoyed your meal with us to celebrate your daughter’s birthday; AG’s is perfect for such a special occasion. I will certainly ensure Rui sees your review.

Once again thank you for such a wonderful review.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and my husband got married here in August this year and we went back for my birthday. We were made to feel as welcome as what we did the very first time we visited two years ago.
The staff are lovely and would do anything for you, the rooms are breathtaking each has its own unique personality. The food does not get any better then this and there is so much to try.
To visit the alexander is a must in anyone's lifetime even if you only visit once but that is all it takes and you will keep coming back.

• Stayed November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

It was great to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you for many more anniversaries to come!

Once again thank you for such a fantastic review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!