2nd time to this hotel for a spa overnight treat with a friend. Didn't start well before arrival when, after booking 'guaranteed' through Spa Breaks, was told by hotel that they didn't have the twin room I had booked (although apparently had only 'requested' - 'guarantee' must have a diiferent meaning to what I thought) - after many emails to both the hotel and spabreaks (hotel told me my issue was with spabreaks and not them), I was informed by the hotel that I could have the twin room I had booked (which must have suddenly become available??).
Anyway, was pleased to have it sorted, asked to book into restaurant at 8 but was told that this time couldn't be booked and I would have to go at 7.30. No problem - meant a bit of a rush after the first spa treatment but no big deal. Arrived in the bar at 7.30, had a drink, chose food and were seen through to the restaurant that I couldn't book for 8, at 8, and was quite surprised to see just how empty it was. Starter was OKish, told waiting staff that we were popping out for a cigarette straight after the starter, popped out, went to the restrooms where one of the waiting staff came to find us to tell us that our food had been ready for 4 minutes and it was now having to be blast heated! I have not had the delight of being searched for by restaurant staff whilst in the restroom before and told off for not being where we should be - was quite surprised to see that this was how this 5* hotel operates.
So, back to the room - quite laughable really, they had gone to the extensive effort of replacing a double matress in a double bed frame with two single matresses and two single duvets within the same frame - no gaps, no space - just a token gesture so that I wouldn't be able to complain that I didn't get the room I had booked or been assured I would get. I have stayed in a twin room in this (and many other) hotels in the past and this was not a true twin room, in fact other 'couple' reviewers on here have commented on what a great double room it is!
What I cannot fault and the reason I returned in the first place is the Spa (treatments and staff). yes - they are expensive but they are of a very high quality and I would return purely for the treatments - I would however be reluctant to stay at the hotel again as I feel my original query/complaint was not handled at all well, the room we were given was not a true twin (and Spabreaks had advised me we would be getting the upgraded twin due to the problems we'd had with the booking which the hotel chose to ignore), it seems as though we were told we couldnt book the restaurant for the time requested for no clear reason & the food is average.
Some of the staff (receptionist, doorman, and some of the waiting staff) were great, the building is lovely and this could be an amazing place to stay but after two stays here now, I am not convinced that spending around £800 (including 2 treatments each) for 24 hours here is worth it - especially when you have a battle before you even get there to try to secure the room that you have booked. I am reluctantly disappointed :(
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 170 acres of stunning private gardens and parkland, Alexander House Hotel in Sussex is both a boutique retreat and an unsurpassed destination spa hotel near London, UK, the heart of South England's countryside. With tastefully designed, luxurious bedrooms, award winning Utopia Spa and a 3 AA Rosette restaurant, Alexander House Hotel is ideal for a weekend luxury escape in Sussex countryside and is a perfectly appointed private function venue, wedding venue near London and business events venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander House And Utopia Spa
- Alexander House & Utopia Hotel East Grinstead
- Alexander Hotel Utopia
- Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK