“Great Staff, Great Food, Great Spa!”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Sussex
“Great Staff, Great Food, Great Spa!”
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Booked via a deal on the hotel website, offering dinner, bed and breakfast with one treatment in the spa (and full use of the gym, hot tub, and pool.

Felt very welcomed upon arrival, shown to our room by friendly staff. Straight to spa for our amazing massage, and then spent afternoon in the pool, hot tub etc.

Loads of facilities and plenty of clean towels etc.

Good evening meal - well cooked and nicely presented.

Breakfast again, really good!

Would def stay again - for longer next time!

• Liked — Spa and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
London
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Booked a 2 day spa break after reading recent glowing reviews here which just goes to show that you cant believe all you read!

Whilst the hotel is to a decent standard physically its the small touches that make the difference.

Staff-

The good
keith the concierge was very pleasant ,friendly and helpful by far the best member of staff

Spa staff generally very nice and pleasant no issues and decent treatments

The bad
Receptionist who got our bill wrong x2 and argued about it which is not a nice way to leave a place. Especially when your letter of confirmation says what arrangements you have made
and what your agreed price should be.Eventually sorted it out and stopped a £80 overcharge

The waiter/kitchen that resulted in a sandwich lunch taking an hour to appear so we had FULL massages on FULL stomachs.
After complaining this was knocked off our bill so at least something was done but not exactly relaxing

The constant pushing of alcohol by staff, now i know bars make hotels money but i dont recall ever being asked so many times if i wanted drinks anywhere else,, its not exactly subtle.

Building/rooms

Obviously recently refurbished and felt bit too repro/New for our tastes.But thats just us . I say keep Old and Modern separate

Room
Well apppointed if a bit small and the wooden toilet seat had a crack in it but pretty with a nice view.

Bed. reasonably firm but the pillows were like candy floss , now i can sleep on anything but my wife likes a firm pillow and none were available on request. A chap who didnt speak great english brought up more of exactly the same pillows. The second night she had to put the room cushions into the pillow case to get a decent sleep!

Restaurant/brasserie
hit and miss my barbecue rib starters were like something you get in Harvester but our steaks and chips mains the first night were excellent. 2nd night well done lamb cutlets turned out to be 4 small burnt ones not great!

The decor in the brasserie is nice in a modern slighly over styled way which is fine but the A3 size WIMPY plastic menus which they use are like something from a greasy spoon cafe and actually really detract from a sense of class when your dressed up in the evening! This menu seems set in stone because someone wrote in the spa book that the menu hadnt changed in the 4x they had been!

SPA
very nice well appointed and pleasant. Bit dark by the pool but to be honest i am not really that into the whole lazing about thing, my wife liked it very much!
treatment rooms were nice but my wife said for her first massage the room was very cold.Mine was fine.

Nice grounds and flelds for a walk

So to sum up Hit and miss really , not awful but not great either generally average. We wouldnt go again as it seems the original character of the building has been overwhelmed by the 'Improvements?'. Just felt more trust house forte than country manor plus the other issues raised have put us off.

Next time we will go back to old favourites such as Hintlesham Hall or Bailffscourt .

• Liked — pleasant room and location
  • Disliked — hit and miss service and food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spacey43
jowenWestSussex, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2008
I was very pleased to read that you felt the staffs were good and that you enjoyed your treatments. I was naturally disappointed that you felt the hotel did not live up to the posted reviews.

I have discussed your feedback with my heads of department and in particular focused on your check out and delay in serving your sandwich both of which are inexcusable and those members of staff are fully aware of the anguish caused by their actions.

I have taken on board your bedroom and spa comments and appreciate that our modern contemporary style in the spa is not to all guests liking, the older main house does however offer a more traditional style of accommodation.

Such constructive feedback is essential to Alexander House Hotel as we strive to exceed our guest's expectations and accreditations.
England
Reviewed February 22, 2008

My Husband and I booked a sunday night escape at the Alexandre House Hotel for a well deserved rest and pampering. Believe me this is exactly what we got from the moment we parked the car. The staff treat you like king and Queen from the moment you arrive. They made our comfort a priorty and gave us the best available room on the day. The room was beauitfully decorated and was most luxdurious. The food was tasty and beauitfully presented. The surrounding both inside and out are peacefull and lavish. The spa was wonderful helpful and pleasant staff who were very successful in taking all my stresses away. The only negative thing about this Hotel was that my stay was too short.

Well done to all the staff for making this hotel a wonder place!
Paula Talman

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank EnglandBlissful
sussex
Reviewed February 18, 2008

My wife suprised me with an overnight stay for my 40th.

The decor , staff , spa , restaurant , room , amenities , grounds are an absolute must . Indulge in some therapies too well worth a visit.

• Liked — Service and Spa
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
London
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Never having been on a Spa break before we did not know what to expect but the value for money was fantastic especially for the Sunday Night break. We arrived for a 3pm check in and had full use of the facilities until 3pm the following day, two treatments each, a 3 course meal, breakfast and a luxury bedroom for a great price.

The staff were courteous and professional, the food was great and even though we were there for less than 24 hours it felt like we had been away for a lot longer.

A word of warning though, you do come away very relaxed!!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank James241
sussex
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I booked a 2-night break in a deluxe room, just to get away from it all. I knew I had booked an expensive room but it was worth every penny. From the moment Brian took my luggage from the taxi, guided me through the painless check-in process, showed me my room, and explained how everything worked, I knew I was in good hands. The room was very comfortable and very quiet, the bed was enormous! The Utopia spa is wonderful, clean, welcoming and although I stayed on a Friday, it never felt crowded and the treatments were fantastic. The pool and hydrotherapy pool were never too busy and it's a lovely warm place to sit and read. I went for a walk around the beautiful estate (and was lent a much-needed pair of wellies and a map). The hotel has plenty of places to sit and chill out, have a drink and eat and all the staff are friendly and attentive without being intrusive. All in all, I had an amazing break and would certainly recommend it to anyone. I certainly didn't feel out of place being there on my own and I might consider taking my husband next time!

• Liked — The complete unashamed luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank snifferh
Brighton, UK
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I stayed at the Alexander House with 5 friends/family for my hen nite. We booked a Sunday night Spa Escape - it was wonderful, from the moment we arrived in the car park, we received a great service. The staff were very polite and attentive.

The treatments in the spa were relaxing, as was the time we spent in the spa pools. the only slight disappointment was the attitude of the spa manager and the unprofessional way that she dealt with an issue, but we did not let this ruin our break.

The evening meal was lovely, although the service was quite slow at times, the food was very tasty and well presented.

The rooms on the spa break were fantastic, the beds were comfy and the bathrooms amazing..
i would definately reccomend this hotel to family and friends and will return.

• Liked — bedrooms / spa treatments / surroundings / service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!