2,477 results
All reviewsreflections restaurantchampagne barhot tubgarden suitebeautiful hotelrelaxation roomchanging roomson arrivalthe fine dining restaurantfull body massageag restaurantcedar lodgebirthday treatroll top bathoutdoor saunarelaxing breakjunior suite
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and I booked to stay here for an overnight spa break needing some time out. On arrival, the hotel didnt have our booking - not their fault; but mine. I had accidentally entered he wrong dates when making the booking. The hotel staff dealt with this really well - luckily they had a cancellation and were able to give us a room and the manager at the time rushed to ensure spa schedule could accommodate the treatments we had booked to. So for this situation excellent customer service (thank you).

The hotel itself was lovely - very contemporay style with lots of character of the old building. Food was good but the customer service on the night was a little slow - think they were just a bit understaffed that day so not going to moan about that too much - it happens.

Spa area was good. However the steam and saunas are small and located in the changing rooms so my husband and I had to use this separately. The water temperature was a little cold so hence not many people using - quite a few of us did mention this. one lady did say she had mentioned this to the hotel but not sure if anything was done about it as next the day the temperature was still the same.
I had a really nice facial - totally relaxing and my husband and a total body massage which he loved. Changing rooms good size.

All this is one of the better spas i've stayed at - and we go a few times a year so able to make fair comparison.

I would go back - just hope next time water temperature is little warmer.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamjones_73
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is the BEST four star I have ever had the pleasure to stay in! I booked this hotel as a last attempt to resolve a 'rocky relationship' and it WORKED!
From the minute we entered the hotel grounds (a long gravelled driveway), we were impressed despite the rain!
Front of house was extremely friendly and courteous despite us being 3hrs late! Once we was shown to our room (the Rochester), we quickly got changed into our robe and slippers that was neatly hung in the bathroom waiting for us. The room was clean and comfy.
The spa was exactly what you see in the brochure. Nothing less!
The only let down was the food.

Room Tip: book direct for a better deal.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My mum and I stayed at the Alexander House for 1 night as a spa treat for Mum's birthday. We used to go to the hotel quite regularly about 5 years ago for lunches, etc, but hadn't been for a while, so were keen to see if it had changed.
The first thing to say is that the entrance is wonderful - impressive and stately - and the staff charming! They made so much effort and were welcoming and friendly. Our bags were whisked away and we were shown round before being taken to our room. This was in the old wing - the original house - and was charming, clean and well appointed, if a little on the small side. Very cosy and welcoming though.
We ate in Reflections and had a lovely dinner - tasty food and beautiful presentation - the spring lamb was delicious and my mum (who's a vegetarian) had plenty of choice too. Breakfast was also a treat, when Mum said her scrambled eggs were a bit dry, they whisked them away and made sure she got exactly what she wanted! Great customer service.
Only a couple of niggles mean I can't give it a top rating!
* when I booked the spa deal, I asked for twin beds but we were given a double room. When I asked for this to be changed, there were no twin rooms available - I didn't mind sharing with Mum but it was a shame.
* we loved the spa which is beautiful and serene. The complimentary class we took was also really good. But treatments are pricey - for £47 each, Mum had booked us an express manicure. This was literally 20 mins of a file and polish - pricey for what it is. They do make it clear on the website it's not a full manicure but it was a little disappointing.
Apart from that, we had a lovely stay and would definitely return. The quiet grounds and garden really do make this place a peaceful haven away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank CJTraveller28
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I went to Alexander House hotel for a girly weekend. The hotel had a great sense of grandeur as we arrived. Reception staff were excellent, very friendly and welcoming. We booked a couple of treatments each during our stay. At first I was disappointed that they had been scheduled for the next day but it worked really well as it gave us time to use the spa facilities and start unwinding. Our room was very comfortable. Food was ok, but nothing remarkable. In fact for me the food was the only thing that really let the hotel down. Treatments were heavenly. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Went here with my mum (my birthday present to her) and our main attraction was the spa.

What can I say? Superb!!!
Friendly and highly professional staff, good quality food, lovely rooms and the spa is just lovely!
We felt completely pampered from the moment we stepped through the door. Lovely facilities and absolutely fantastic views.
We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: check laterooms for special offers on suites etc
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family