“Hay and straw ”
Review of Paglia e Fieno

Paglia e Fieno
Reserve with OpenTable
Paglia e Fieno is not available through our online partner for your requested time.
The time you selected has already passed.
Description: Italian steakhouse offering:6 week's mature rib-eye- T-bone from 1 to 2 kg - hand cut Tuscan sausages - beef fillet - chateaubriand - beef rib and calf liver - more cut are available on butcher weekly special. we also offer linguine lobster - ravioli ricotta & spinach - pizza and many other dish on customers request. our chef's are proud on what we do using high quality ingredients. most of our meat are British or Australian and we mature and select accurately all our cuts. we make a big proud of our wine list too from Petrus - Ornellaia - Sassicaia - Tignanello - Barolo - Brunello and many more including 4 different red :French-Spanish-Argentina-Chile We strongly believe to give our customers a food experience. thank you to read and see you soon
Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

I went just for a drink as we couldn’t get a dinner reservation. This is always a good sign and long may it continue because East Grinstead really needs this!

However when I went in I asked a gentlemen for a Moscow mule and was simply told no. I found him very rude, so I chose an alternative. Surely a
Moscow mule isn’t hard to make?!!!!. He didn’t tell me the price of the drinks just flashed a card machine in my face. Very disappointing service. However I will return again to sample the food.

1  Thank flying_liam

Reviewed March 9, 2019

Walked in at 6pm last night and the place was all booked up but they gave us a table that wasn't being used until 7.30pm. We started with a gin and tonic (lots of choice) and a peach bellini both very nice. I ordered the seafood risotto and my husband had the steak. The risotto was excellent - rich, deep flavour and rice the right tenderness. Apparently the steak was excellent too. Finished off with a very good chocolate pudding. Warm, gooey interior served with a scoop of ice cream and nicely presented. We also had the tiramisu of which I only had one spoonful so can't really comment. It was boozy, creamy and soft (when I've made it at home I like it not to be too soft but still have a little bite from the biscuits and I don't recall that this morning).

Service was excellent I have to say. Everyone was very attentive. Our orders for drinks, food, wine were all taken quickly and produced quickly too. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful too. The place is done up very nicely and has a lovely atmosphere. Just what East Grinstead needs.

Reviewed March 8, 2019

Fabulous restaurant.
I had the lobster special, alongside a very nice Sauvignon Blanc, followed by Apple pie with ice cream. I genuinely cannot fault - great food, great service despite it being very very busy, and reasonable prices.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed March 7, 2019

In the interest of balance this is another review of Hay & Straw, Paglia's sister restaurant, where we ate last night. First the good things. Ambience-wise this restaurant is a cut above anything anywhere else in East Grinstead. Visually it is a lot more sophisticated, more reminiscent of a good mid-level London venue. The cocktail bar looks really good, the dining room is nicely lit with stylish and comfortable chairs, tables with crisp linen covers, and quality flatware. The maitre d' is suited and booted and the waiting staff are dressed in black and white with traditional long white linen aprons. They are obviously striving for an up-market feel to the place and on the basis of this first look they are succeeding.

Our food was excellent. Starters of butternut squash soup and smoked salmon were tasty and served on good looking quality chinaware. We had mains of rib-eye steak (cooked as requested) and a monkfish and prawn curry which I would have been happy to be served with in any good Thai restaurant. We skipped desserts but from seeing other diners' plates they looked pretty good. Wines are a bit pricey but not excessively so. We paid thirty pounds for an excellent Malbec.Total bill for two was a hundred and ten pounds including service, of which half (as usual) was drinks.

Now for the downsides. Yes, the service was a bit clunky. But they've only been open for three weeks and they are still shaking things down. Seamless service comes from a team effort by all the staff who are totally familiar with how their colleagues work. This takes time to establish - I'm sure they will get this right. Of more concern is the tables for two, which are simply too small. When our main courses were served we had on ours two dinner plates, three side dishes, two water glasses, a bottle of tap water, two wine glasses, a bottle of wine, and a cruet. Or to be accurate we didn't because it didn't all fit on. Our waitress solved the problem immediately by repositioning the table adjacent to ours, but this only worked because it was free. They are fully booked for this Friday and Saturday so I predict some logistical problems.

In summary this is a welcome addition to the town, and is a different dining experience and a cut above the rest. They need a bit more time to shake things down, so my advice is to hang in there, they will get it right. We eat out at least twice a week, and on the basis of this first experience Hay & Straw will go on our list of regulars.

Reviewed March 5, 2019

Interesting that I cannot find Hay and Straw on Trip Advisor so will leave this on here as the same company.
Avoid! Service all except 2 young waiters was appalling. The man I can only think was the head waiter was arrogant and very good at avoiding eye contact. Two of the dishes we ordered were inedible and sent back, very little apology although as I stated we wouldn't be paying for them they did not appear on the bill and they also didn't charge for a beer and a desert. Really not good perhaps once it has been open a little while longer it may improve but at the moment I would choose somewhere else.