“Pleasant enough”

Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bramber
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed for one night recently. Arriving quite late, the hotel was very easy to find and had ample parking. A superior room was booked for us and I also requested a quiet room. We were allocated a standard room above the front door. Having asked to be moved, I was told the hotel was full and thereafter I lost count of the number of times the front door banged shut, the sound echoing up into our room. I politely mentioned this the next morning and the receptionist told me that no-one had ever mentioned it before. The room, 216, was extremely disappointing and absolutely nothing like the ones pictured on the hotel website. A compact room, with low sloping ceiling and a bathroom that should have been refurbished long, long ago. However the tea tray was well stocked and a small fridge kept the wine nicely chilled.We were warm and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was in the bar/restaurant area. It was fine, nothing special. I am not a fan of having to queue at a servery for my breakfast, nor of having to make my own toast but that is just a personal observation. The staff were all very cheerful and as helpful as they could be. The standard of the hotel room has certainly coloured my judgement in that I feel we would not return.

Room Tip: Arrive early to ensure you get the room you have booked.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank gara358
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologise that your expectations were not met at this time, I would like to assure you that I have spoken to our reception team regarding your booking and if you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Maggie Parsons

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived at the hotel (Old Tollgate Steyning West Sussex) and were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful surrounding and the external look of the hotel, upon entering the reception it looked tired and dated the check-in procedure was good, we were offered newspapers and an early morning call. The corridors to the bedrooms were well decorated and had a fresh clean feel about them.
Regarding the room (210) upon entering the room it looked tired and in need of refurbishment, but my main problem was the room appeared to be a joining room to 209, if you open the doors it could be a family room with a fold down bed, which was the only bed in room 210.

The bed was a put you up bed that folded into the cupboard, it was of the style that pulled out and laid on the floor, I feel this is completely unacceptable for this room to be sold as a double room at a cost of £120.00 especially when I looked in the company brochure on our depatrure and the room rate is between £38.00 to £55.00. The other concern was the serving of the breakfast, they were obviously short of kitchen staff as what appeared to be the manager dressed in his suit working the servery with no serving gloves or whites on completely contravening health and hygiene regulations regarding food handling.
I feel this Hotel need a good shake up to improve standards

Room Tip: if booking a double room do not accept room 210
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Graham C
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that the bed in room 210 is not on the floor, it is a full size double bed.with a 4ft 6 mattress. The rates that you are quoting are published in the Best Western brochure and are per person for weekday nights. Unfortunately these prices are not avaiable on a Saturday evening. Regarding the breakfast - the gentleman you saw is our restaurant manager, he was available to meet and greet all guests and to assist with the service of the breakfast - not the cooking, our chefs cook the breakfast. If you would like to discuss your stay with me personally please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in the 'Sunnyside' building which forms part of the complex. We were asked if we had stayed there before - which we hadn't. The girl on reception showed us where the 'Sunnyside' building was simply by taking us outside and pointing to it. We struggled up steps to the building's door with our cases and bags. If she had taken us to the front of the building, access would have been so much easier! The room was clean and comfortable with all the facilities one would expect. My wife commented that it was one of the best hotel rooms she had stayed in! We used the restaurant on the first night. Only a carvery was available and at the advertised price of £26.25 per head for a 3 course meal, I have had cheaper and better. The meat was 'OK' but the veg (carrots and sprouts) were cold and hard. I don't mind my veg firm but these were very undercooked! We had breakfast there each day. Very nice with usual on offer. The only criticism I would make is that the tea when it arrived was hot but had been put in a cold teapot (feel the handle) and the cups on the table must have been kept in a fridge overnight! To sum up, the hotel is highly recommended but let down a little by the restaurant. That is why I gave 4 'stars' instead of 5.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Parkham
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the room comfortable. I will pass your comments regarding the restaurant to the restaurant manager. We do hope you come back again in the near future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a large room in Sunny Croft, which had some original features including a fireplace. The bathroom was very modern with underfloor heating which was a real bonus. We had dinner in the hotel. I have dietary requirements and the staff were very helpful. We had two courses as that was all we could manage! Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. We will be staying here again when next in the area.

Dear Linda E
Thank you for your excellent review. Sunnycroft is our block of executive bedrooms all of which have been finisehd to a high standard. I am pleased to read that you found the room comfortable and you enjoyed dining in the restaurant.
We shall look forard to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent one night in this hotel and found it did what it says on the tin!!! The room was clean and comfortable, the wine (house Merlot) was delicious and even better when the remains were taken home and drunk later after being 'aired', the sandwich lunch was excellent, and the dinner (carvery) was really very good for the money. Pleasing breakfast even under the hotplates and kind enthusiastic staff despite a misunderstanding over the evening drinks order.

We did have a problem with plumbing, hot towel rail erratic and the hot water to the shower must have been at the end of the system plus no light in the shower but they were willing to help. It is worth a visit if you are in that part of the world.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for, we asked for standard and it was fine. It over looked the 'main road b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dancerstansted

Dear Dancerstansted
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed both your stayin the hotel and the food in the restaurant. I shall pass your comments re the towel rail to our maintenance team.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Have just spent 1 night at the old tollgate in bramber. Firstly must say all the staff are excellent and very helpful. Rooms clean and very comfortable. Had a meal in the restuarant which was 3 course, the choice on offer was outstanding and the food very tasty and fresh. Dont forget to leave room for the great choice of puddings (you will be spoilt for choice) but as we were there on a Sunday we could go up as many times as we wanted. Had a good nights sleep but did not have room for the breakfast after the meal the night before. Will have to make a return visit to try this. All in all a great hotel at a great price. Give it a try .

Dear Mick50125
Many thanks for your excellent review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we shall look orward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were looking for somewhere relatively close to Brighton for a couple of nights. We had a room in SunnyCroft, just a few steps away from the restaurant. Our room was very nice with a minibar, underfloor heating in the bathroom, and air conditioning. Everything we needed had been provided.
The bed was very comfortable and we both slept extremely well both nights we were here.
It is refreshing to be in a hotel restaurant that is buzzing with guests.
Breakfast was excellent. The was a good choice of cold and hot items. They serve fried bread here, which many hotels do not, and black pudding was on the breakfast menu.
Dinner was super. It was difficult to know what to choose.
I am not normally a fan of carvery restaurants, but here was very good. I thought the price for dinner was reasonable. My only criticism would be that dishes were not labelled and while I could ask about the main courses for dinner I had to guess which desert was which from the list on the blackboard.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.
We both look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear summergee
Many thanks for taking the time to write your excellent review. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed both your stay and the food.
We shall look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
best wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bramber
The Castle Inn Hotel
#4 of 11 in Worthing
The Ardington Hotel
The Ardington Hotel
#2 of 11 in Worthing

Been to Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel? Share your experiences!