“Always enjoy staying here”

Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bramber
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
“Always enjoy staying here”
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here before with an elderly neighbour and we had the disabled room 215 I believe, which was very nice but my neighbour and I found getting into the bath to have a shower very difficult and I actually fell in the bath on one occasion! So on my last visit on the 9th November for two nights I requested a walk in shower which although it didn't have anything to hold on to, I actually found it easier!
My son and nephew shared a lovely room which was very spacious and they were very impressed with it, both rooms appeared very clean and lovely and warm.
Lovely breakfast with well cooked food and good service.
We had a voucher for our Friday night dinner which was very good but I would rather prefer more selection on menu as I don't always want a carvery so went to another local hotel for our second evening meal.
I left three items in my room so we phoned up and they said they would post them to me, Hoping it will arrive soon.
All in all a really nice hotel, but for disabled customers I would advise going somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Cheshire
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Old Tollgate Hotel on the weekend of 3rd and 4th November 2012. We upgraded to a superor room and were not disappointed. Nice hotel, good room good breakfast. We did not have an evening meal at the hotel as we were visiting our daughter so eat out in Brighton. From what we could establish the resturant only does a cavery so at £24per person for 2 courses it appears expensive. We found it very close to Brighton so it was best for us to stay here and travel in. Lots of parking unlike being in the centre of brighton. We will definately stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If available book B&B as the breakfast is excellent and it is cheaper if you do it as part of yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Southampton
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed hear on the 26/27 October 2012 as our daughter Lisa and her husband Nigel was having their wedding reception here. The hotel accomodation was excellent large room and reasonably priced. The meal we had with family on the friday was of a good standard, and breakfast was also to a good standard. The food at the wedding breakfast on 27 October was also of a good standard. The hotel has an old world feel about it. yes I like staying there , in fact I shall stay there again in 2013 they have walk leaflits so if you go for a long weekend or even longer you can do a diffrent walk every day, yes I was impressed. I can only advise, if you want a wedding reception at a hotel look no further, and ruins of Bramber Castle oppisite what a setting for photographs. I have done many reviews for tripadvisor praise is often hard to come by , but in this case praise is due well done.

Room Tip: All our guests had large rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Briisbane Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Very impressed with the size of this suite. Our room was at the end of the corridor and entry to the bedroom was through the lounge. The bed was larger than many we have stayed in on our vacation with plenty of room to move around, which we appreciated as coming to close of our vacation we needed some space to sort all the bits and pieces accumulated in our travels. TVs in both the lounge and bedroom was great as well. Breakfast was to a quality expected. Would recommend this to any one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

As the father of the groom, attending a wedding reception at this Hotel recently, I would like to thank Maggie Parsons, (General Manager) and Robert ( Catering Manager) and ALL the staff, this Hotel is first class in every way, and it was so nice to attend a function with 60 persons, and not hear One complaint, the food, and service was excellent throughout, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of holding a function there or just going for a meal, you won't be disappointed .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I would just like to say how impresses I was with the quality of food we enjoyed on a recent Friday lunch at your establishment. I treated my husband to lunch for his birthday as he has always enjoyed coming to the tollgate for a long time now. We had a 2 course meal which consisted if a main and a dessert. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his beef and I can't say enough about the desserts. Everything was layer put amazingly as usual and the choice cannot be beaten. The chefs were very helpful. I would like to say a special thanks to James and Ian for there attentiveness to our needs. Thankyou to all your staff for a lovely day.

Janice and bob Laughton .

• Stayed October 2012
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just returned from a stay at this hotel with friends whilst doing the South Downs Way. We had an exec room which was lovely - great shower and really lovely room. Friends in the regualr rooms were less complimentary.

The breakfast was OK - especially when you realised to order any specials on arrival.

However the carvery was a nightmare - we arrived and planned to eat in the hotel, however quickly changed our minds. The smell was overpowering - boiled cabbage and burnt meat. Even to our friends non vegetarian noses, this wasn't good.

On Staurday night, the smell was compounded by the wedding disco that was loudly playing next to the bar - we were very glad that we had booked a restaurant in Steyning for dinner at this point.

The staff we dealt with were all perfectly pleasant and helpful, but the hotel just really wasn't our thing. I found myself wishing for the lovely B&B we had stayed in previously!!

Room Tip: Book an exec room using the advanced booking deal
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny B
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel. We are however also an extremely busy carvery restaurant. I note that you are vegetarians and would like to advise that we do have vegetarian options available.

Regards
Maggie Parsons
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bramber
The Castle Inn Hotel
Best Western Princes Marine Hotel
The Ardington Hotel
The Ardington Hotel
#2 of 11 in Worthing

Been to Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel? Share your experiences!